Big 12 Television network?

ce1

Mar 23, 2006
Minnesota
I found this quote in the Men's basketball press release at Big12sports.com:

"Nearly 90 percent of the conference games this season will be televised nationally or regionally on an ESPN network, ABC, CBS or the newly-branded, regionally-syndicated Big 12 Network. "

'08-09 Men's Basketball Schedule Announced - Big 12 Conference - Official Athletic Site

Can someone help out, and explain what the regionally-syndicated Big 12 network is? As a Big 12 fan in a Big 10 state (Minnesota), i'm obviously interested in a Big 12 sports network that i can subscribe to, via the various providers: DirecTV, ComCast, etc.

Does anyone know the roadmap or future for the Big 12 sports network? Or a timeframe?

thanks...

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
Okay, I may be wrong here, but the way the website reads to me seems to indicate that games that were previously shown on ESPN+ will now be branded as being shown on the Big 12 Network, and that these games will be broadcast by the affiliates in the all Big 12 cities listed on the site.

I'm assuming, however, that not every station gets every game? I would think there would be too many overlapping games. I wish they showed all games though, I'm not in Iowa, but I am still in the conference footprint, and if I could see all the ESPN+ ISU bball games on a local station here, that would be sweet.

PGreen ISU '92

Mar 6, 2008
Waukee, IA
I think to word it as a Big XII Network is a little misleading. There is no Big XII Network as compared to a Big Ten Network. However, through ESPN Plus and local television stations in each major Big XII market there has been betweem two and four Big XII Men’s Basketball games broadcast each Saturday afternoon during basketball season. This has been going on since the inception of the Big XII. It consists of two games that start at 1pm CT and two games that start at 3pm CT. Coverage of what game depends on that market. At halftime during each game they cut to the Phillips 66/Big XII Studio in Kansas City.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
The "Big 12 Network" is the new name for "ESPN+/Big 12", which was primarily the Saturday afternoon games (as noted above) and a handful of midweek games.

The stations/affiliates will most likely be the same.

Last edited:

jumbopackage

Sep 18, 2007
Nothing has changed since last year. They just changed the name from ESPN+ to Big 12 Network. If you got to see ISU last year, you'll get to see them this year. If not, then you won't. You can, as always, subscribe to ESPN Full court via your satellite or cable provider and pick up some/most of the out of market (for you) games.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron