Big 12 publicly reprimands Huggins

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
I picture it going similar to this old story.

https://deadspin.com/5392067/excerpts-from-the-book-the-nba-doesnt-want-you-to-read

After the opening tip, it was hilarious as the three of us immediately focused our full attention on the intended victim, waiting for something, anything, to justify a technical foul. If the guy so much as looked at one of us and mumbled, we rang him up. Later in the referees' locker room, we would down a couple of brews, eat some chicken wings, and laugh like hell.

brentblum

Administrator
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2007
I picture it going similar to this old story.

https://deadspin.com/5392067/excerpts-from-the-book-the-nba-doesnt-want-you-to-read

After the opening tip, it was hilarious as the three of us immediately focused our full attention on the intended victim, waiting for something, anything, to justify a technical foul. If the guy so much as looked at one of us and mumbled, we rang him up. Later in the referees' locker room, we would down a couple of brews, eat some chicken wings, and laugh like hell.

So gamblers conspire with officials to influence KU games to keep them on top? That'd be quite the story if so.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
No I would suspect gambling much more targeting one guy, you know like the head referee at some small time KSU-ISU game.

You have to understand Brent that I'm a "bit" on the conspiracy side of things. Our society/empire is collapsing and that often comes from corruption of just about everything. So don't take this as targeting one bad group. Just a few at the top.

Reactions: brentblum

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
Hilarious on several levels. First, Huggens, who games the reffing with the best of them, ********. Second, the Big 12 saying there are proper channels to address this. #1 there made me smirk, #2 is LOL stuff.

Great Post my friend way 2 GO..............

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
They aren’t exclusive but the conference seems to get the same ones all the time. I still can’t accept Blarge Man as head of officiating either.

I think most officials try to stay in their region. This allows them to work more games per week and reduces travel time.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
The one thing that stands out to me is the number of coached who have actually said something on the record regarding the officiating at the fog. Huggins, Weber, Barnes and more have all weighed in at some point.

When you have highly respected national media guys like Fran pointing out how biased games are called at the Phog it pretty safe to assume that there is some weight to the complaints.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
**** West Virginia. Lard take note:
200w.gif

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
The one thing that stands out to me is the number of coached who have actually said something on the record regarding the officiating at the fog. Huggins, Weber, Barnes and more have all weighed in at some point.

UGA's coach, Mark Fox, yelled at the officials after, in his mind, a bad call playing at K-State - "Hey, this game isn't being played in Lawrence." :p

• Funny
Reactions: fsanford

mywayorcyway

Mar 1, 2012
Phoenix
Does anyone disagree with what Huggins said? I bet you'd find 90% support from his comments.

I hate watching WVU play, but this is where I agree completely. He isn't questioning the foul count against his own team...he's questioning the foul count against the team he's playing, in their own house, known for getting favorable calls.

If those comments come from an anonymous coach, every Big XII fan who doesn't root for KU will agree. I find it highly unlikely that KU only committed fouls that warranted 2 total free throw attempts.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
I hate watching WVU play, but this is where I agree completely. He isn't questioning the foul count against his own team...he's questioning the foul count against the team he's playing, in their own house, known for getting favorable calls.

If those comments come from an anonymous coach, every Big XII fan who doesn't root for KU will agree. I find it highly unlikely that KU only committed fouls that warranted 2 total free throw attempts.

This was put together by a Mizzou grad (http://www.kctv5.com/story/36314311/tom-martin)...

http://www.kctv5.com/story/37534314...or-shooting-just-2-free-throws-against-kansas

CloneInLA

Mar 7, 2017
I watched the game, the officials were awful but I wouldn’t say bias. They missed a couple in wv favor including an obvious basket interference. The one at the end where Huggins went nuts was a bad no call. Go look back at every game thread we’ve ever had playing them and you’ll see we all believe we should have at least that big a ft disperety every game. They damn near do foul every time down the court, it’s about time Huggins got called for that abomination that he calls basketball

• Agree
Reactions: randomfan44

randomfan44

May 30, 2015

There were probably 3 or 4 additional plays that could have been called as fouls against KU but there were easily double that that should have been called against West Virginia. IF they called the game tightly against both teams then KU easily would have had a greater free throw disparity.

And honestly, I WISH KU was playing aggressively enough on their perimeter defense to warrant a few more fouls. Man, our perimeter defenders have had some major lapses this year. Just not guarding the 3 like a typical KU team.

Help Support Us

Become a patron