Big 12/PAC 12 strategic alliance...

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
So long the other power 5 conferences follow the same rules, that'd be awesome. However, we still have current problems with the SEC only playing 8 conference games, they need to move up to 9 before we can begin talking about scheduling more power 5 teams.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
This seems like a better deal for the PAC-12 than the Big XII.

I wouldn't mind setting up one rotating ooc game against a PAC-12 team versus a MAC team or Iowa, but I like having a couple warm-up home opportunities to get our players going before conference play. Besides, I'm not in the mood to help a conference that tried to rip us apart and continues to mismanage itself.

Like the article says, Texas and Oklahoma already schedule teams like Notre Dame, Ohio State, etc. Neither one of them will jeopardize those match-ups for lesser ones. And OU and UT's votes are going to weigh more heavily than the rest.

• Agree
Reactions: JM4CY

Chitowncy

SuperFanatic
Jan 14, 2009
Ames
GYtE7J

Last edited:

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
To enter this, we would have to drop our annual Cy-Hawk game. I'm not sure I like that idea at all. It would also erase any chance of rekindling Texas-TAMU, the Border War, etc.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
These guys need help because their own fans don't give a crap about their sports. I hate to say it but realignment is coming again, and we want that conference to be in as bad of shape as possible. A scheduling alliance would likely give their Pac 12 network more pull because you KNOW they'd throw their home games on it. No way we should ever agree to this. Plus, people will call me a pansy, but we need to be scheduling worse not better.

Plus, this would virtually guarantee no Big 12 teams in the playoff. This is just crazy talk.

And how did that guy not come up with a decent plan to convince the Arizona schools to jump?

"Here's your PAC $$, travel requirements, and game times. Here's what the Big 12 can offer"

Wouldn't it be just that straight forward?

• Agree
Reactions: CascadeClone

CYphyllis

Jun 22, 2010
It would be naive for the B12 to ever trust them again. It's not like Larry Scott was overly quiet about the real reason behind the last scheduling alliance between the two conferences.

From a business standpoint, **** 'em. Let them starve for a few more years and pick off what you want from the heap.

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
It would be naive for the B12 to ever trust them again. It's not like Larry Scott was overly quiet about the real reason behind the last scheduling alliance between the two conferences.

From a business standpoint, **** 'em. Let them starve for a few more years and pick off what you want from the heap.
Exactly this. Pac 12 can EBOD given their attempts at piracy with Texa$ and Oklahoma. And given Larry Scott's brilliant marketing attempt, I'd be suspicious of any agreement with them.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
I read it wrong at first. Yea I want no part of this. Wouldn’t mind scheduling 1 Pac 12 game in each football and basketball, but I want no part in this alliance.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
The Pac threat turned out to be utter nonsense. But SEC and Big Ten poaching threat were real and still exist.

The way this makes some sort of sense is if it locks the 22 schools into a permanent agreement or some sort of decades long grant of rights. That's what would make it worth the Big 12 teaming up with the Pac given the current state of the B12 being better off financially.

The SEC is basically two completely different football conferences at this point because of their refusal to schedule a 9th game. It wouldn't be that different than our football title game being B12 winner vs Pac winner...maybe slide one team over to make it even 11s.

Remo Gaggi

Aug 28, 2018
Exactly this. Pac 12 can EBOD given their attempts at piracy with Texa$ and Oklahoma. And given Larry Scott's brilliant marketing attempt, I'd be suspicious of any agreement with them.
Ok, what does EBOD stand for? Sorry, Remo hasn't heard that one before ...