Big 12 Expansion (new thread)

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Kinch

Sep 19, 2021
One year ago, OU and Texas fans told us that we would only get $10 million. Yet, the estimate is more than five times that amount.

JUKEBOX

Oct 27, 2008
hypothetical mini-raid of the pac:

colorado
iowa state
kansas
kansas state

baylor
oklahoma state
tcu
texas tech

cinci
houston
ucf
wvu

arizona
arizona state
byu
utah

could it happen?

I think probably nothing happens unless the oregon + washington domino falls within the next year or two

CyclonesForever

Nov 5, 2011
Ames, IA
could it happen?

I think probably nothing happens unless the oregon + washington domino falls within the next year or two
I think Big Ten money will be too much for Notre Dame to ignore eventually. Big Ten will already have USC. Grab their other rival in Stanford to pair up with Notre Dame and then add Oregon and Washington to get to 20 teams.

Big 12 poaches Arizona, Arizona State, Utah and Colorado.

No idea what happens to Cal, Oregon State or Washington State. Probably MWC.

Then wait for the ACC GOR to expire so the Big Ten and SEC can shred that conference apart, Big 12 picks up the remainders (Louisville, Pitt, etc.)

The Big Ten and SEC are clearly the 2 superconferences. However, I think the fact that the Big 12 has been raided so many times and lost all our big name schools that would increase conference revenue for those 2 conferences, there's really not anyone else for them to poach, unless they get hell bent on getting to 24 teams. Meanwhile, I think the Pac-12 could be right for the picking right now if the Big Ten pulls the trigger with a couple more. Then the ACC still has a bunch of quality schools that will get all taken at the same exact time (Clemson, FSU, Miami, North Carolina, maybe Duke, Virginia, Virginia Tech, maybe NC State). The Big 12 might survive as the top non-superconference league that is made up of the teams from the Pac-12 and ACC that we wanted simply cus we took a bunch of blows, but none of them fatal. The Pac-12 and ACC could each both just receive one massive, fatal punch.

JUKEBOX

Oct 27, 2008
I think Big Ten money will be too much for Notre Dame to ignore eventually. Big Ten will already have USC. Grab their other rival in Stanford to pair up with Notre Dame and then add Oregon and Washington to get to 20 teams.

Big 12 poaches Arizona, Arizona State, Utah and Colorado.

No idea what happens to Cal, Oregon State or Washington State. Probably MWC.

Then wait for the ACC GOR to expire so the Big Ten and SEC can shred that conference apart, Big 12 picks up the remainders (Louisville, Pitt, etc.)

The Big Ten and SEC are clearly the 2 superconferences. However, I think the fact that the Big 12 has been raided so many times and lost all our big name schools that would increase conference revenue for those 2 conferences, there's really not anyone else for them to poach, unless they get hell bent on getting to 24 teams. Meanwhile, I think the Pac-12 could be right for the picking right now if the Big Ten pulls the trigger with a couple more. Then the ACC still has a bunch of quality schools that will get all taken at the same exact time (Clemson, FSU, Miami, North Carolina, maybe Duke, Virginia, Virginia Tech, maybe NC State). The Big 12 might survive as the top non-superconference league that is made up of the teams from the Pac-12 and ACC that we wanted simply cus we took a bunch of blows, but none of them fatal. The Pac-12 and ACC could each both just receive one massive, fatal punch.
Another opinion I've heard is that Washington and Oregon don't move the needle enough for the B1G.

Not sure if Big 12 could have another pod and get to 20 teams?

Something like:

Oregon
Washington
Stanford
Cal

Not sure if or how a 20 team conference would work and/or if it makes sense.

Then I agree it seems like the ACC might get torn apart from the SEC and B1G (either very soon and they can finance the large buyout or in like 2036 or whenever the GOR expires). Then the Big 12 would maybe add another pod with the leftovers?

JUKEBOX

Oct 27, 2008
Then I feel like the Big 12 is essentially a secondary league that probably has more in-common with the traditional college football structure/traditions while the B1G + SEC start to resemble more of a semi-professional league NFL-lite.

(and they probably split apart and do their own playoff, championship, etc.)

Gilbyone

Nov 8, 2020
How quickly things change. I started this thread last fall when we thought we knew what was going on, but apparently didn't. Now we have re-established the B12, and see that the B10 wants to be the first coast to coast conference. This should produce some interesting travel schedules, and might start the idea that athletes should not have classwork in the semester of their athletic competition. (Requiring that each sport be totally contained in a single semester.) It is time for the B12 to join the wolves and start circling the now injured PAC. Possibility 1 is to take the best teams in the Mountain time zone (so we would not also be a coast to coast conference. Or Possibility 2 is to take the best remaining PAC teams (6) and make a coast to coast semi-super conference, allowing the remaining PAC teams to drift to the MW. Or Possibility 3, create a mega conference by merging the B12 with the remaining PAC.

The primary weakness of the PAC has been its lack of marketing visibility in the east and mid-west, which is probably why USC and UCLA want to go east.

The projected super demand for sporting events for cable/network/streaming channels will provide higher revenue to the B12 than anything we now imagine.

Consider a combination of the two conferences dividing the home games of teams into 2 or three packages and offering them as separate packages to the broadcasters. Midwest and east coast teams could be shown in the Pacific when they play there, and the west coast teams could be shown along the east coast when they play there. There could also be a separate midwest home game package that would offer exposure for everyone. Think of the income from three separate game packages sold at auction among the many broadcasters now beginning to search for product to broadcast.

Uff Da

Go Chiefs.

Gilbyone

Nov 8, 2020
Where or where has the little REGISTER gone. The only article has been one copied from the Arizona Republic newspaper. Shame Shame Shame.

FilthyShadow

Sep 21, 2011
Never watch Pac12 games, seldom SEC unless MIZZOU on (family tie here). Big 10 gets some TV time just cause it's in region. College football is regional, why can't people in TV positions see that.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
It's possible that the paradigm is going to shift under our feet from what we knew and loved in the past to what we are are fed in the future. There will be a transition from regional rivalry games to falling for a new scheme, the national broadcast, like the NFL in that way. We'll enjoy Ohio State v. USC the way many now enjoy KC v. Oakland. Others of us, the olds, will just walk away from the game, I suppose.

SteveAztec

Oct 12, 2021
San Diego State gets the conf. exposure to approx. 30 millions households for recruiting, along with the TV's that goes with it. I am not sure the Big 12 can pass that up.

• Haha
Reactions: 2speedy1

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron