Big 12 Considering $1B in Private Equity

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
Google search produced the following and there are countless other success stories. PE infusion has been around for a long time and it sure as hell would not have existed for this long if every PE deal went haywire as you suggest:

I already rebuttled these in a previous post, yeah those moves were great for PE, they almost always are. PE gets theirs and what they have invested in goes out of business or gets sold out for parts. They have been around so long because they are great moves for PE and horrible for everyone else.

PE is the last gasp of a dying organization and I really hope the Big12 doesn’t go that route.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
This is great in the begining but will not end well. Whatever I guess I dont make these calls.

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
College athletics has never in history of its existence has had parity and it has flourished.

Also, why rural areas specifically?
May I ask, what NFL teams do you associate with and why? And colleges and why? It's all about 'association'. Why would a non-student/alumn of Iowa State want to associate with Iowa State? And, then if their non-affiliated, then again why do they associate? I'll bet 9 out of 10 is 'proximity' OR popularity within proximity. All boiling down to population density.

SolterraCyclone

Jul 26, 2021
I agree I’m very hesitant that PE is good for the Big 12.

But PE can be very good for startups looking to scale. As someone who used to work for a startup and with a lot of startups, getting your Series A is what you need to achieve your dreams. Crazy all these early employees popping champaign once they get funding, guess they didn’t know they should be disappointed.

Now for established firms seeking PE, that would be troublesome. They should be looking to IPO

CyValley

Feb 29, 2008
That’s the joke

Oh, by the gods, again, FSpartan, I did it again. Even when I was young, I was a literalist. It's a liability. Why?

Because I so admire (while I'm laughing) at so many of the funny ripostes that appear here. They crack me up.

Where I get into trouble is that fine line - that line between what my literalist mind perceives as serious and cannot recognize the sublteness that can penetrate my brain.

Sorry to go on. My wish to compliment the funny people here and hope to explain to my friends here that too often I just don't get it.

Heh.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
What matters to me in terms of naming rights:
Iowa State University
Cyclones
Jack Trice Stadium
Hilton Colosseum (more for the history of the games there than that it's named after university president)

The rest including "Big 12" doesn't really mean that much. How much did "Pac Ten" and "Pac 12" mean? How much will "ACC" mean?

Reactions: SolterraCyclone

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
Interesting thoughts, caused me to consider.

The key might be coalition, 16 and more league teams with great leveling among them - thus, competitiveness and excitement in conference races.

In that type of league, with our fbl, mbb, wbkb and wrs programs, if we excel, Iowa State will become a recognized commodity.

I don't know anything. With Yormack, JP and our quality coaches, maybe we got a chance?
Yes. Exactly. It's our conference cohesion and parity which gives us our best shot.

Reactions: NWICY

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
It’s always the Big 12’s fault. Every other conference is trying to save college athletics while we are destroying it bit by bit.

How dare the Big 12 try to survive and compete.

That's basically what this always is. People who are probably deep down ashamed that what they really want is to reduce 70ish major college football programs down to about 35.

Reactions: ClubCy

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Why wasn't it the BiG10 that broke up the Pac-12, since it was the 10 that wooed and seduced the Pac's top-level entities?
We both know that is what happened, but that wasn't the national media spin. But ESPN &Fox run the national sports media and are the 2 directly responsible for this instability in collegiate sports.

• Informative
Reactions: CyValley

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
I already rebuttled these in a previous post, yeah those moves were great for PE, they almost always are. PE gets theirs and what they have invested in goes out of business or gets sold out for parts. They have been around so long because they are great moves for PE and horrible for everyone else.

PE is the last gasp of a dying organization and I really hope the Big12 doesn’t go that route.
So what you're stating here is that everyone who has engaged in a deal with a PE firm has their head up their a$$.

That is clearly not the case.

And this PE engagement is a function of the House settlement and a logical bet on additional media revenue growth for the B12 in 2031, not a dying organization. And I am sure that ESPN and Fox along with their puppets, Sankey and Pettiti, will continue to do everything possible to stifle media revenue growth for the B12. They likely kill off the ACC within the next 24 months as Fox did with the PAC last year. And their next target will be the B12.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Selling a fifth of your enterprise to PE is usually a desperation play.

We might be at that point is the thing.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 1UNI2ISU and ClubCy

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
So what you're stating here is that everyone who has engaged in a deal with a PE firm has their head up their a$$.

That is clearly not the case.

And this PE engagement is a function of the House settlement and a logical bet on additional media revenue growth for the B12 in 2031, not a dying organization. And I am sure that ESPN and Fox along with their puppets, Sankey and Pettiti, will continue to do everything possible to stifle media revenue growth for the B12. They likely kill off the ACC within the next 24 months as Fox did with the PAC last year. And their next target will be the B12.
They make the deals based on short term survival. You want to get into business with PE go for it, but it’s just signing a death wish in the long term. Willingly going into business with PE is an awful decision.

Also according to you wasnt espn supposed to sell all the secondary rights to Fox by now? That was another swing and a miss. Same with Fox and ESPN trying to stifle revenue growth, I get you love your conspiracy’s because it gives you a reason you want to believe for what is happening but that’s just not the case.

Last edited:

boone7247

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 15, 2011
Near the City
been waiting to for something like this to post it. And we are at the point the schools and ADs need to seperate.

Step 1) the schools should be paying the AD to advertise. Why is the athletics department paying for scholarship, when the school benefits more from the students the AD brings to campus.

Step 2) why are the NBA and NFL able to raid the talent at this level without paying for it? The schools spend millions recruiting and paying coaches just to have kids for 3-5 years for them to take the talent they develop away.

Save the student athlete speech. We are left that a long time ago and certainly since we entered NIL.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
been waiting to for something like this to post it. And we are at the point the schools and ADs need to seperate.

Step 1) the schools should be paying the AD to advertise. Why is the athletics department paying for scholarship, when the school benefits more from the students the AD brings to campus.

Step 2) why are the NBA and NFL able to raid the talent at this level without paying for it? The schools spend millions recruiting and paying coaches just to have kids for 3-5 years for them to take the talent they develop away.

Save the student athlete speech. We are left that a long time ago and certainly since we entered NIL.
Ahhh so we’re onto this stage of posting, lasted longer than I thought.