Big 12 Bowl news...

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
And now the B1G is adding the Las Vegas Bowl to their already awesome lineup. That will be a great bowl in the new Raiders stadium.

Pac-12 is the anchor conference for that game. The B1G is alternating years with the SEC, and the off-year location is Charlotte (Belk).

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I don't believe the city of San Francisco has hosted a bowl game in several years, once the Redbox Bowl moved to Levi's Stadium.

San Fran or San Jose, what is the difference when you are talking bowl games? It's basically the bay area.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
I moved here from the Bay area. Outside of there, yeah - I refer to it as "the Bay area" or "the San Francisco Bay area", mostly because no one outside of the area knows where El Sobrante and Albany are. They're both on the east side, El Sobrante is up in Contra Costa county and Albany is in Alameda county.
Out there, San Francisco is simply referred to as "the city". But there is a huge difference in atmospheres and attitudes between San Francisco county (which is simply the tip of the southern peninsula, and consists entirely of the city of San Francisco), Santa Cruz (everything on the west side south of SF down to Monterey Bay, Marin (northern peninsula), Contra Costa (north end of east bay), Alameda (east bay, contains Oakland), and Santa Clara (south end of east bay, contains Palo Alto & San Jose)...yet all are part of "the Bay area".

My "no" was referencing the idea that a bowl game in San Francisco would be the same as a bowl game in San Jose. Nope. :)

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
I gotta say that Cheez-it bowl with TCU a few years ago was one of the best bowl games I've ever seen. So many interceptions.

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
I'd read a week or two ago that Phoenix was reverting the name back to Cactus Bowl from the Cheez It Bowl. So I'm curious if Cheez It dropped them or they dropped Cheez It.

Edit: found this in the yahoo article: "With Cheez-It’s big move to Florida, the previous iteration of the Cheez-It Bowl will revert back to the Cactus Bowl presumably until the Fiesta Bowl Organization finds a new title sponsor for the game."

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I understand the need to have sponsors paying for naming rights, but it really gets confusing when the sponsor changes locations. Makes me want to stop using the sponsor's name with the bowl game. Or maybe try to use the location name before the sponsor name, such as "We played Notre Dame in the Orlando Camping World Bowl."

At least we don't have to worry about the Alamo Bowl changing locations! :campbell:

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
I understand the need to have sponsors paying for naming rights, but it really gets confusing when the sponsor changes locations.

I hear ya, but it's also rare that a sponsor jumps directly from Bowl A to Bowl B. The only other one I can remember is when Meineke jumped from Charlotte (2010) to Houston (2011). TicketCity switched games recently, but there was a 2 or 3-year gap in between.

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
It’s not the Camping world or cheese it level bowl that’s issue for big 12..

it is the next level bowls that big 12 sorely lacks...Alamo is it..then it’s downhill from there..

BIG has Outback..Citrus..Holiday.. etc..

Big 12 needs just 1 other bowl along same tier as Alamo..

Psyclone

Mar 18, 2006
Oakland>Ames>Cedar Rapids
It’s not the Camping world or cheese it level bowl that’s issue for big 12..

it is the next level bowls that big 12 sorely lacks...Alamo is it..then it’s downhill from there..

Big 12 needs just 1 other bowl along same tier as Alamo..
The Holiday Bowl has slipped in the pecking order. It's not what it used to be. At the other end of the spectrum, the Alamo Bowl has really moved up and become a strong next in line to the NY6 bowls.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006

B1G dumped the Holiday and the Gator in favor of Vegas and Charlotte.
Holiday is now Pac-12 #5 vs ACC.
Gator, like so many others, is ACC vs SEC.

B1G also picked up the Bowl Formerly Known as Cheez-It. So that's now a Big 12 vs B1G tilt.