Big 12 additional expansion

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Beach_Tornado

Aug 12, 2021
While they’re likely just rumors, I heard about the big 12 potentially giving notice to schools like USF, CSU, Boise, Memphis, CSU, and service academies, potentially to gage interest in joining the Big 12. Hopefully this is an indication that schools may leave the conference in the future, ideally with ISU going to the big 10? Thoughts?

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Oh look - ANOTHER THREAD...

picard-facepalm.jpg

Mesaclone1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2009
Mesa, AZ
While they’re likely just rumors, I heard about the big 12 potentially giving notice to schools like USF, CSU, Boise, Memphis, CSU, and service academies, potentially to gage interest in joining the Big 12. Hopefully this is an indication that schools may leave the conference in the future, ideally with ISU going to the big 10? Thoughts?

The presence and/or absence of a new GOR will answer the question for you. ISU fans have every reason to be confident.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
The Big 12 will evaluate every scenario to maximize revenue per school. If that means expansion, then they will do it. So there will always be rumors around adding more and they really mean nothing.

AppleCornCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2020
Oh look - ANOTHER THREAD...

picard-facepalm.jpg
Maybe I’m in the minority here but I absolutely hate mega threads. I think it’s more user friendly if there are more five page threads about similar topics and fewer 50+ page threads with a bunch of conversations going on.

On the other hand, I wish there were fewer boards. I don’t feel like we need separate ones for general sports, the Big 12, in-state rivals, etc.

ISU_Guy

Jul 21, 2021
Des Moines
I can't imagine this being true. We are already going to take a significant hit financially (compared to having Tex/OU in the league) Who knows though.....maybe they need to add a couple extra in case a few teams get picked off by the 3 Amigos.

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
Seems way more likely that whatever rumor OP heard about was those schools reaching out to the Big 12 and not vice versa.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Maybe I’m in the minority here but I absolutely hate mega threads. I think it’s more user friendly if there are more five page threads about similar topics and fewer 50+ page threads with a bunch of conversations going on.

On the other hand, I wish there were fewer boards. I don’t feel like we need separate ones for general sports, the Big 12, in-state rivals, etc.

You may hate mega threads, but I hate 25 different threads discussing the exact same thing.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Conferences can't contact other schools. The other schools need to initate the contact. I must think highly of CSU if they were talked to twice.

Also, more expansion threads.....

Reactions: jcyclonee

Win5002

Apr 20, 2010
Its hard to say what it means but even with an ACC GOR until 2036, its really hard to see the top ACC want to stay at their current contract levels. FSU & Clemson are going to really get passed by revenue wise by the SEC counterparts and even NC & Va. at some point have to look at the revenue difference and possibly at some point say enough is enough.

If the B1G & SEC carve up the top properties to go to 20 or 24 and the rest are found a home in a B12 or B12 schools are added to the ACC and they keep the same contract some feel there is no damage for the GOR's. Or maybe the remaining ACC schools not chosen by those leagues realize they are better off by negotiating a settlement and taking placement than fighting it.

If ISU has been told there is probably a spot for them in the B1G or even SEC as a school, maybe this is how it happens and ISU gets one of the last spots. I would love to see ISU in the B1G but the SEC wouldn't be bad either and ISU would fit there also with some of their recent additions. If the B1G gobbled up a bunch of AAU brands in the ACC & PAC, I could see the SEC wanting to take a couple of schools for the last spots making their academics look better.

There are hints the whole NCAA constitution gets rewritten in the next year and maybe a break off is coming. Everyone doesn't get the same revenue but if its a P4 2 leagues are P2 money wise and 2 are G2 money wise or maybe its a P3 where two are P2 and G1 for 72 teams. In this scenario a G1 or G2 gets more money but still a lot less than the B1G & SEC. Its been mentioned by several writers the B12 going forward will be flexible with scheduling to get the rumored revenue they might get that surprises people. Maybe thats how a G1 or G2 gets paid going forward at these levels.

Reactions: WhoISthis

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
Its hard to say what it means but even with an ACC GOR until 2036, its really hard to see the top ACC want to stay at their current contract levels. FSU & Clemson are going to really get passed by revenue wise by the SEC counterparts and even NC & Va. at some point have to look at the revenue difference and possibly at some point say enough is enough.

If the B1G & SEC carve up the top properties to go to 20 or 24 and the rest are found a home in a B12 or B12 schools are added to the ACC and they keep the same contract some feel there is no damage for the GOR's. Or maybe the remaining ACC schools not chosen by those leagues realize they are better off by negotiating a settlement and taking placement than fighting it.

If ISU has been told there is probably a spot for them in the B1G or even SEC as a school, maybe this is how it happens and ISU gets one of the last spots. I would love to see ISU in the B1G but the SEC wouldn't be bad either and ISU would fit there also with some of their recent additions. If the B1G gobbled up a bunch of AAU brands in the ACC & PAC, I could see the SEC wanting to take a couple of schools for the last spots making their academics look better.

There are hints the whole NCAA constitution gets rewritten in the next year and maybe a break off is coming. Everyone doesn't get the same revenue but if its a P4 2 leagues are P2 money wise and 2 are G2 money wise or maybe its a P3 where two are P2 and G1 for 72 teams. In this scenario a G1 or G2 gets more money but still a lot less than the B1G & SEC. Its been mentioned by several writers the B12 going forward will be flexible with scheduling to get the rumored revenue they might get that surprises people. Maybe thats how a G1 or G2 gets paid going forward at these levels.
That’s exactly where this is headed, and the Alliance isn’t stopping that, although it did seem to hit pause. USC and the ACC football schools can’t pass on SEC money and brand.

The pivot will be basketball imo. If the tournament revenue question is solved, there’s nothing stopping the SEC from breaking. Does adding KU (maybe ISU, damnit Prohm) do enough? Maybe an alliance with the Big 12 3.0 pulls in the Big East. If that were to happen, the ACC basketball schools would even get wondering eyes.

With the ACC GOR, a lot rests on whether USC is content making way less in the increasingly irrelevant Pac 12. The Alliance can’t afford to have the Big 12 side with the SEC.

Beernuts

Nov 9, 2017
Get BV as well. All about eyeballs. #stormlakeorbust
Don't forget about the Dutch schools. Central, Northwestern and Dordt. Just don't schedule anything for Sundays or Wednesday evening Catechism.