Big 10 vs. other conference expansions...there is a difference..

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

ketelmeister

Oct 24, 2006
From the media world perspective, the Big 10 expansion is totally different from the other major conferences. The Big 10 move to Maryland and Rutgers seems to be totally based on funding the Big 10 TV Network. Cable systems pay a certain amount to the Big 10 for every subscriber on their network and payments are based on local rates, population density etc. Maryland and Rutgers are in a very densely populated area, and I assume cable companies are used to paying high rates.
The SEC and Big 12 models are based on TV value of the product to outside companies. Thus match-ups are much more important to the value of the product. This is apples and oranges. Which model will be the best? We will see. But the Big 10 is locked into some hefty expenses to run a network, and has to feed the monster. This is a move to keep up with growing expenses and a product that is not easy to sell (ie tier 3 sports) as ESPN has found out with the Longhorn network.

scyclonekid

Feb 13, 2008
Good point. I just for the life of me as to why they would add these two teams that just do not add a lot of value bball wise and football wise. I think the way our conference is set up is going to be more successful long term. The big ten IMO just diluted themselves further than what they are already. Like you said feeding the monster.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Ohio State, undefeated Ohio State, currently has a 3.25 computer average if they were allowed to play in the BCS.

There's a very good chance a non-cheater undefeated Ohio State would have been left out of the NC game this year because of how horrible the Big Ten is.

The Big Ten has a football problem, this moves makes it worse unless it's an eventual path to Notre Dame. I think Delaney is taking a flyer on destroying the ACC to get ND and a better ACC add...in a way that doesn't look crazy obvious that he's the one pulling the strings.

M3MEPLEASE

Sep 4, 2009
There's a very good chance a non-cheater undefeated Ohio State would have been left out of the NC game this year because of how horrible the Big Ten is.

L O FREAKING L if you honestly believe this

CycloneJoe

Jan 12, 2009
Carson City
Maryland = Under Armour and Washingon dc and baltimore

that's a lot of $$

under Armour is the new NIKE!

Look what Nike has done for Oregon!!

BringBackJohnny

Feb 11, 2009
Ames
The elite teams need bad teams to beat to stay undefeated. If you don't go undefeated then you don't go to national championship game because the rediculiously high SEC preseason rankings. Can't wait for a playoff. Makes for more of a true champion. Ohio St. has just secured their spot in the playoff for years to come by adding more garbage for them to stand on top of.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny

Even if they were eligible, if you used current AP (which is pretty big10 biased) rankings they would only be 3rd in bcs

Last edited:

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land

Do you follow the BCS rankings closely? tOSU's computer average is 3.25 and it won't go up the rest of the year compared to SEC teams now that the SEC is done with their FCS/Sun Belt break. Two SEC teams in the top 7 computer average will play for a title, even if OSU had a title game they'd play the #13.25 or #20 computer team and would still lose ground.

They would not be a lock for the #2 slot by any means, 1/3 of the formula is cold logic that punishes them for playing a very weak conference that gets beat up by the MAC.

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
I keep trying to figure out how people don't understand the TV market issue. The big 10 doesn't need every house in Maryland to want the B1G network, they just need to get enough people to want it, that outweigh the people that will drop the cable company if they add the charge. You don't need a lot, just a vocal minority that outweighs another vocal minority. In the end, the real majority of people probably won't even notice the extra $1.50, or whatever it is that's added to their bill.

cyclone83

Apr 10, 2006
Maryland = Under Armour and Washingon dc and baltimore

that's a lot of $$

under Armour is the new NIKE!

Look what Nike has done for Oregon!!

I would love for cable operators to draw the line and force the Big Ten network on to a sports tier. It would be great to see the B1G network suffer the same fate as the Longhorn Network. All this talk of Rutgers and Maryland bringing the NY and DC market to the B1G is like the MSFA getting Grand View to lock up the Des Moines metro market. Grand View probably gets more time on KCCI and WHO than Rutgers gets on NY stations.

StPaulCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Duh!
Even if they were eligible, if you used current AP (which is pretty big10 biased) rankings they would only be 3rd in bcs

Not to mention, ELO Chess...the computer portion of the BCS...has them at #12. BCS bowl...yes. NC game...nope.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I would love for cable operators to draw the line and force the Big Ten network on to a sports tier. It would be great to see the B1G network suffer the same fate as the Longhorn Network. All this talk of Rutgers and Maryland bringing the NY and DC market to the B1G is like the MSFA getting Grand View to lock up the Des Moines metro market. Grand View probably gets more time on KCCI and WHO than Rutgers gets on NY stations.

If Fox Sports truly owns YES, then they have the NYC market by the balls. All they have to do is tie YES availability to BTN being on basic tier (if cable providers stonewall BTN, Fox pulls the plug on YES and the millions of Yankee fans start voicing their opinions) and viola - BTN owns the NYC market and couldn't care less whether anyone is actually watching because they'll be getting NYC $$$ regardless.

This is also why I truly believe that Virginia is a Big 10 target if they plan on going to 16 - between Penn St, Maryland, and Virginia the Washington area cable providers begin losing the battle of "nobody cares" because then enough people do start caring. Plus I would think think the Big 10 would love to have the Richmond and Norfolk-Tidewater-Virginia Beach markets.

cyclonestate

May 4, 2009
I think it's only a matter of time before university athletic departments lose their non-profit status. They have this status because they are supposed to be all about acting in their student's best interests. However, their guiding principle is profit (not their student's best interests), and we're talking billions in profits (not millions).

Much of this is working against the best interests of the student-athletes. Instead of Nebraska's volleyball team traveling from Lincoln to Ames or Lawrence, they will be flying to the east coast to have a match with Maryland or Rutgers. The athletes will miss more classes, but the university will make millions more.

It's also only a matter of time before the student-athletes start demanding a share of these obscene profits.

Last edited: