Big 10 tapping the brakes on CFP expansion.

JHUNSY

Aug 31, 2013
Des Moines, IA
When it comes to reconfiguring an expanded CFP playoff, the SEC gets one vote, the B1G gets one vote, the PAC gets one vote, the ACC gets one vote, the Big 12 gets one vote.

I think some of you are confusing success in the national championship game with clout when it comes to determining a new CFP structure and new media rights for broadcasting CFP games.
I’m not even referring to reconfiguration and votes or success/appearances in the championship game. If we’re talking clout as it is right now, the order is clear.

Leaving the ACC out, because only Clemson has shown they’re realistically competitive at that top level outside of FSU one time and so these don’t really apply to them:

How many times has the SEC champ been left out? Zero
How many times has a one-loss SEC team been left out? Zero (outside of A&M last year but that’s clearly an impact of COVID scheduling more than anything)

B1G, Big 12, and PAC-12 have had teams miss in both of those scenarios.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
It will be interesting to see the value of the media contract that the Big 10 signs in a couple of years. The feeling by many EIU fans is that its going to sky rocket up to $75 to 80 million a year, this would be after not expanding, and they will continue to lead all conferences in funds given out to member schools per year.

I tend to think that the SEC with the additions of UT and OU will sail past those numbers and even with a 16 team split instead of a 14 like the Big 10 will end up giving out more money per school.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
I’m not even referring to reconfiguration and votes or success/appearances in the championship game. If we’re talking clout as it is right now, the order is clear.

Leaving the ACC out, because only Clemson has shown they’re realistically competitive at that top level outside of FSU one time and so these don’t really apply to them:

How many times has the SEC champ been left out? Zero
How many times has a one-loss SEC team been left out? Zero (outside of A&M last year but that’s clearly an impact of COVID scheduling more than anything)

B1G, Big 12, and PAC-12 have had teams miss in both of those scenarios.

Like I said, in 7 years of the CFP, the SEC has had more than one playoff team once. In 7 years the SEC has had 8 playoff teams, the ACC has had 7, the B1G has had 5.

And while you leave out the ACC because Clemson has had 6 of their 7 appearances, Alabama has had 6 of the SEC's 8 appearances. So is that really SEC domination, or Alabama domination?

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
It will be interesting to see the value of the media contract that the Big 10 signs in a couple of years. The feeling by many EIU fans is that its going to sky rocket up to $75 to 80 million a year, this would be after not expanding, and they will continue to lead all conferences in funds given out to member schools per year.

I tend to think that the SEC with the additions of UT and OU will sail past those numbers and even with a 16 team split instead of a 14 like the Big 10 will end up giving out more money per school.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the SEC move past the B1G in per team payouts with the new contracts with the addition of OU and UT. I don't think it'll be by that much, and that's not taking into consideration what the B1G does before re-upping. If they bring in USC, Oregon, etc., that would likely put them ahead of the SEC even with OuT.

• Haha
Reactions: JP4CY

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021

While the 80mil per year number is what i have heard for the big ten it is very likely the SEC passes it with these additions. What people like whoisthis miss is that this would be the first time that the SEC passed the big ten in value and becuase they own 0% of the SEC network their per school payouts may still end up being less. That being said i have no idea what numbers the SEC schools are hearing.

Also the SEC isnt amazing, BAMA is amazing. Every other school falls on its face regularly like most other power schools.

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
While the 80mil per year number is what i have heard for the big ten it is very likely the SEC passes it with these additions. What people like whoisthis miss is that this would be the first time that the SEC passed the big ten in value and becuase they own 0% of the SEC network their per school payouts may still end up being less. That being said i have no idea what numbers the SEC schools are hearing.

Also the SEC isnt amazing, BAMA is amazing. Every other school falls on its face regularly like most other power schools.
How many more years does Saban have in his tank?

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018

Little envy showing there, what school in the Big 10 has won anything in the last 10 years? OSU has 2 titles, Alabama has 6, LSU 1, and Georgia also made the play off and got to the championship game. The only other Big 10 team to make the play off was MSU and they were embarrassed by Alabama.

Now you add OU and UT, and the leagues will not even be close. Alabama, LSU, aTm, Florida, Georgia, OU and UT is a lot better league than Penn. St, OSU, Michigan, Wisconsin, EIU and MSU. Not even comparable really.

Last edited:

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
Little envy showing there, what school in the Big 10 was won anything in the last 10 years? OSU has 2 titles, Alabama has 6, LSU 1, and Georgia also made the play off and got to the championship game. The only other Big 10 team to make the play off was MSU and they were embarrassed by Alabama.

Now you add OU and UT, and the leagues will not even be close. Alabama, LSU, aTm, Florida, Georgia, OU and UT is a lot better league than Penn. St, OSU, Michigan, Wisconsin, EIU and MSU. Not even comparable really.
Except that means diddly squat under the current CFP...4 teams. If that doesn't change by the time OuT move to the SEC, the same plan will be in place, teams in the SEC will simply absorb more losses due to the addition of one elite team, and the same basic make-up of the CFP will remain (Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State, and then one other team from the SEC, Big 12, or PAC). Will the top of the SEC be better...absolutely...as well as the bottom of the SEC being worse.

The key to greater SEC visibility remains the expanded CFP. Would the Big 12 vote to expand the CFP if they were guaranteed a spot...you know the answer to that. The PAC would vote yes in a heartbeat.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
Lol, my program is in the B1G, the most tradition rich and wealthiest conference in college sports, I feel fine and am really not insecure at all. But, cute.

No doubt the addition of OU and UT will elevate the SEC's perception as the top football conference, which they already were viewed as before those additions. They've established themselves at the top in terms of on-field performance.

That said, when it comes to determining CFP expansion and timing... which will ultimately determine broadcast rights... the SEC has no more sway than the Big 12. One vote. But go ahead thinking the team who wins the crystal trophy gets to have all the say, it's kind of funny.
You seem very secure about it, crafting these contradictions about how surprised ESPN/OuT were. very secure lol

Who’s said anything about them having more than one vote. The contention is that not expanding doesn’t hurt the SEC any more than it hurts the others. If anything it hurts them less. As the top conference, they are nearly certain of at least one, likely two with OU representing the SEC from the Big 12. It hurts the Alliance and Big12 more. The Alliance sure showed them lol

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
You seem very secure about it, crafting these contradictions about how surprised ESPN/OuT were. very secure lol

Who’s said anything about them having more than one vote. The contention is that not expanding doesn’t hurt the SEC any more than it hurts the others. If anything it hurts them less. As the top conference, they are nearly certain of at least one, likely two with OU representing the SEC from the Big 12. It hurts the Alliance and Big12 more. The Alliance sure showed them lol

You seriously think the alliance is about stopping a CFP expansion? You can't seriously think that. Of course not expanding isn't good for the B1G, PAC, ACC. Duh. Expansion is going to happen, they want it to happen. It's just going to happen in a way that isn't on a silver platter to SECESPN. The alliance is going to drive the overall structure, and make sure the media rights are opened up to other bidders. That's all this is about.

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
12 gets you more money than 8. But I only support 12 if there are either caps on # of teams per conference or increase the number of guaranteed spots.

I really think 8 is far better. Auto bids to the top 4 leagues. 2 spots guaranteed to next two conference champs, then you have 2 spots open. Both spots can't go to the same conference. Caps $EC and B1G at 2 teams. Basically Guarantees the Big 12 3.0 gets an auto bid plus the best chance to get 2/8 teams

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Except that means diddly squat under the current CFP...4 teams. If that doesn't change by the time OuT move to the SEC, the same plan will be in place, teams in the SEC will simply absorb more losses due to the addition of one elite team, and the same basic make-up of the CFP will remain (Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State, and then one other team from the SEC, Big 12, or PAC). Will the top of the SEC be better...absolutely...as well as the bottom of the SEC being worse.

The key to greater SEC visibility remains the expanded CFP. Would the Big 12 vote to expand the CFP if they were guaranteed a spot...you know the answer to that. The PAC would vote yes in a heartbeat.
The playoff will expand, when the contract runs out in 2025 if not sooner, that is a given, by how much is all that they are debating at this point., The big difference is the contract will be up for bid as opposed to ESPN getting it all.

You also must remember that the SEC and ESPN along with OU and UT had cut a deal to move them into the SEC. The expansion of the playoff would occur first, everyone thought that the meeting scheduled for yesterday, was the go ahead, and the meeting Monday in Chicago it would be voted on. Once passed, after the season, then it would be announced that Ou and UT would be leaving the Big 12 for the SEC, but by then the expanded playoff would already be in the books. Their plan went haywire when aTm found out about it and released it to the media.

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
The playoff will expand, when the contract runs out in 2025 if not sooner, that is a given, by how much is all that they are debating at this point., The big difference is the contract will be up for bid as opposed to ESPN getting it all.

You also must remember that the SEC and ESPN along with OU and UT had cut a deal to move them into the SEC. The expansion of the playoff would occur first, everyone thought that the meeting scheduled for yesterday, was the go ahead, and the meeting Monday in Chicago it would be voted on. Once passed, after the season, then it would be announced that Ou and UT would be leaving the Big 12 for the SEC, but by then the expanded playoff would already be in the books. Their plan went haywire when aTm found out about it and released it to the media.
Oh, 100% agree...I mis-worded my response. The whole CFP is definitely expanding...it just will be on terms with all the conferences and potentially new media suitors beyond the ESPN monopoly. The SEC and ESPN was drooling over the 12-team set-up where the SEC might get 4-5 teams every year. Perhaps now it will be better thought out (with money involved...doubtful) and with greater balance...perhaps it stops at 8...maybe goes to 12. If 8, then you likely see 5 auto bids to the P5 conferences, with 3 wildcards. Maybe you give a bid to Top non-P5 team with 2 wildcards. The 12 version gets a lot crazier...not sure how you keep the SEC from dominating this...

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
They have a decent contingency- just leave OU and UT, which are now effectively SEC teams, in the Big 12 until it expands. Great access for the SEC.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
They have a decent contingency- just leave OU and UT, which are now effectively SEC teams, in the Big 12 until it expands. Great access for the SEC.

But now that the plan is out, there is no way the CFP will follow the same plan as before. The new proposals will be focused on limiting the influence of one large league getting more spots and thus more money.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
SEC = Alabama. Alabama 2001 barely won against ISU. Though return to mediocrity isn't a guarantee, a return to less dominance is. Snyderesk head football coach ages are rare. Saban doesn't have too many more years in that tank and ToU knows it.
You can do that for every conference. BIG=OSU etc.

The difference is the SEC has another 5 that are very strong. The BIG has a bunch of rust belt, decaying situations. The ACC has FSU, which is quickly becoming Panhandle St, surround by SEC programs and increased competition for the Plan B and C recruits they once were able to count on. Even the Pac12 doesn't care enough about the Pac12 for their top brand to equitably matter.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron