Bielema to Arkansas

ISUser

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 28, 2009
Topeka, KS
Maybe Rhoads takes the Wisky job and Pollard goes with him to be the AD.

hahahaha...

Have fun with that one!

Actually, if Barry Alvarez goes back to coach the team and they start looking for a new AD that might be something to be afraid of. JP was the associate athetic director at UW before coming to ISU.

I'd be more afraid of losing JP than CPR (though I doubt either will happen).

BigLame

Feb 6, 2008
Western IA
Arkansas > Wisconsin
Oklahoma State > Arkansas - settled on Bielema, could not get Gundy
Gundy smart
Bielema not

Nov 6, 2010
Blacksburg, VA
Actually, if Barry Alvarez goes back to coach the team and they start looking for a new AD that might be something to be afraid of. JP was the associate athetic director at UW before coming to ISU.

I'd be more afraid of losing JP than CPR (though I doubt either will happen).

This. JP has strong Wisconsin ties, don't underestimate this.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
Wisconsin is a really good job. I think Arkansas is a good job too but I wouldn't say it's better than Wisconsin. Probably on the same level though.

I think both jobs are better than Ok St.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Think our class is pretty much done for the year. How many commits we have? 25?

Yeah, getting close. Probably 2-3 more spots due to early enrollment and the likelihood of everyone getting to campus two consecutive years being pretty low. I think Lewis ends up here already giving us 25 (Glenn is a grey shirt). You take him, Mills and Bibbs back a year giving us 22. 85 probably won't be limiting with the loss of Pavlenko, Daniels and whoever else departs. Someday 85 will mean something.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
I always thought Bielema was a bit of an idiot. The program made him more than he made the program. All he had to do was not eff it up. I think we will be much better off without him long term. Alvarez will make a good hire and Wisconsin will continue to roll. I can't imagine him having much success down in Arkansas. He'll get destroyed playing programs like Bama, LSU and Florida.
Maybe Barry can hire the NIU or Kent State coaches.

BigLame

Feb 6, 2008
Western IA
If Arkansas is > Wisconsin, how is Bielema not smart?

Arkansas is in the SEC, the epitome of conferences in college football. Any school there is better than the B1G.
Bielema had it easy, though, at Wisky or apparently did. Don't think he is cut out for the SEC & where he will start out. Depends upon the coordinators & staff though (see Chizik & Malzahn).

Last edited:

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Arkansas > Wisconsin
Oklahoma State > Arkansas - settled on Bielema, could not get Gundy
Gundy smart
Bielema not

Your transitive property disagrees with your conclusion. I would call OSU slightly below Wisky and Arky simply because they will always play second fiddle. Arkansas is probably slightly better than Wisconsin because of the geography but it also much more competitive. The alma mater thing must have made up the difference for Gundy. That wasn't there for Bielema. Nor was his brain.

BigLame

Feb 6, 2008
Western IA
Yeah, getting close. Probably 2-3 more spots due to early enrollment and the likelihood of everyone getting to campus two consecutive years being pretty low. I think Lewis ends up here already giving us 25 (Glenn is a grey shirt). You take him, Mills and Bibbs back a year giving us 22. 85 probably won't be limiting with the loss of Pavlenko, Daniels and whoever else departs. Someday 85 will mean something.

Maybe a topic for another thread - but the approach of signing a lot early could hurt most years due to the carousel of coaching changes (or lack of changes) & how it impacts commits changing their minds late in the year. Part of the game/system I suppose.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
First SEC >>>>>>>> B1G

However, Wisco >>>>>>> Arkansas.

This is an ego move, of course Belima is a Hok so not surprising.

I can't imagine the money would be that much different.

Wisconsin is the #3 job in the B1G, or am I missing something. OSU, Mich, Wisconsin, PSU (PSU used to be 3, then child molestation happened) the remaining eight besides maybe Nebraska don't carry any real national weight, but Wisconsin is an established program, with decent tradition and excellent backing.

Don't get me wrong I think it is funny, but I just don't get the logic.

Ahh, now it makes sense.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
Maybe a topic for another thread - but the approach of signing a lot early could hurt most years due to the carousel of coaching changes (or lack of changes) & how it impacts commits changing their minds late in the year. Part of the game/system I suppose.

You can't bank on that. It seems like Rhoads left a couple spots open and has made good on those (Meeks, Campos, maybe Lewis). Would you really want him saving more than 3-5 spots hoping that somebody good decommits and we can beat out the other vultures?

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville

Yeah, maybe. On the other hand we are sitting on 24/25 guys committed who are pretty quality guys. A lot of these guys were offered early too and our best recruits have committed later. "Best" according to offers and such. I htink the staff really did want the early committing guys. It's not like we were offering and snatching up fillers in October/November to fill spots.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
If Arkansas is > Wisconsin, how is Bielema not smart?

Arkansas is in a far better recruiting area and a stronger conference.

However, Arkansas rabid fan base is both a blessing and a curse. They are not too smart and will force out any coach if they don't win the SEC in a few years. Hawk boy will learn that real quick.

Help Support Us

Become a patron