Best two sport athletes of all time?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

trajanJ

Sep 11, 2008
As a KU guy I'm surprised Chamberlain didn't make that list. He was a really good pro volleyball player, and 3x Big 8 High Jump Champion and not to bad of a basketball player.

twocoach

Jan 13, 2014
Omaha
Wilt Chamberlain: best basketball player ever, great track and field star in his collegiate days, excellent pro volleyball player in his retirement.

CyBelieve

Aug 5, 2006
Ankeny
No love for Charlie Ward? Not that I am a huge fan, but when you can win the Heisman & be a first round draft pick in another sport is pretty damn impressive. Bo and Dion weren't that great of baseball players - they were just such incredible athletes is why they played as long as they did.

CarolinaCy

Apr 18, 2008
Herschel Walker was a 2-time All American in track at UGA, and is still in the school's top 10 in the 55-meter and 100-meter. He should be much higher on this list.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Jim thorpe also played sports before they were integrated.

I always think it's interesting there evidently wasn't a big opposition to a 1/2 Native American playing sports before black players were integrated. Native Americans weren't even full citizens when he won his Olympic medals if I'm not mistaken.

The era is just too long ago to compare Thorpe to others, we're talking over 100 years ago in a lot of his achievements, pro football and basketball were nothing like they are now. American sports was basically baseball and the early beginnings of college sports.

I don't think he's the greatest but Charlie Ward is an overlooked suggestion, Heisman trophy winner then a long NBA career.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
He technically was not eligible to compete in those Olympics and had his medals stripped from him for decades.

Yes. How dumb was that. Now look and even the amateurs (what few there seem to be) participating in the Olympics are making more than he did costing him his amateur status.

Turn2

May 12, 2011
Clusterfunkeny
Bob Hayes.

More medals than Bo and he never struck out 6 times in 4 at bats. Hayes is the only man to win both an Olympic gold medal and a Super Bowl ring.

Last edited: