Best songs that don't get enough attention

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
I’m not a Wallen fan but he absolutely knocked that cover out of the park and did it way better than Isbel. Like you said, props to Isbell for being the original author.
Man I have to disagree. I had never heard of this cover until tonight and idk if I know any Wallen songs so I listened to it. He seems to have a good voice and it's a solid cover but Isbell and the original are way better imo. To each their own.

It still blows my mind that someone thinks Isbell doesn't have a good voice. My wife and I always talk about how his singing voice is one of our favorites. So unique and powerful.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Man I have to disagree. I had never heard of this cover until tonight and idk if I know any Wallen songs so I listened to it. He seems to have a good voice and it's a solid cover but Isbell and the original are way better imo. To each their own.

It still blows my mind that someone thinks Isbell doesn't have a good voice. My wife and I always talk about how his singing voice is one of our favorites. So unique and powerful.

Wallen is a guy with a good voice but he comes off as just another hollow posturing act.

I've seen Isbell several times over the past 15 years and his transformation has been interesting to say the least.

HARMCYN

Jan 20, 2012
Cambridge, IA

Boy you Morgan Wallen stans are missing the boat. Morgan Wallen makes music for people who go 20,000 miles between oil changes.

Cover Me Up is an incredibly personal song Isbell wrote about getting sober for his wife on their wedding day after 15 years of horrible addiction. Which he still is.

Wallen just used a song already beloved by lots of people as a fast way to get famous, and is pretty obviously a guy who doesn't stand by the meaning of it.

EvilBetty

Sep 7, 2012
I've gone on and on about BRMC, but still can't figure out why they've never become a big headliner

They came to nashville and played same day and same time as the black angels at a different venue. Went and saw the black angels instead and still regret it. Very boring show. Which is unfortunate.

Reactions: Cyclonepride

Nader_uggghhh

Jul 11, 2017
Wallen is a guy with a good voice but he comes off as just another hollow posturing act.

I've seen Isbell several times over the past 15 years and his transformation has been interesting to say the least.
This. He tried to make it as a pop/rock singer and it didn't work. His rise to fame was when he collaborated with friggin FGL. I like his voice but hate that he's used as an example of "good country" by people that don't listen to country music. Like you said he's a hollow posturing act.

cydsho

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Omaha, NE
Boy you Morgan Wallen stans are missing the boat. Morgan Wallen makes music for people who go 20,000 miles between oil changes.

Cover Me Up is an incredibly personal song Isbell wrote about getting sober for his wife on their wedding day after 15 years of horrible addiction. Which he still is.

Wallen just used a song already beloved by lots of people as a fast way to get famous, and is pretty obviously a guy who doesn't stand by the meaning of it.
In other words thank you douche country for almost ruining a great song.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I’ve been on soul music kick lately (watched Summer of Soul on D+) and just in terms of status I think Sam & Dave are very underrated in that they should be on that well known timeless legend status like James Brown or Aretha Franklin.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Saw them play at Gabe's in I.C. many years ago, good show from what I remember but what really stood out was how short and tiny those guys are. During one of the opening acts a few of them were walking through the bar filled mostly with average-sized midwestern dudes like me and we towered over them. They looked like little black-haired wood elves. I'm sure I was pretty high at the time so that might've been it as well.

Is Gabe's still open? Man, I saw some really weird shows there back in the day.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I’ve been on soul music kick lately (watched Summer of Soul on D+) and just in terms of status I think Sam & Dave are very underrated in that they should be on that well known timeless legend status like James Brown or Aretha Franklin.
I've been digging into more Motown trying to find some hidden gems that I either forgot or escaped my attention.

Reactions: Alswelk

BigTurk

Dec 17, 2013
Huey Lewis & The News released Plan B in 2001. My wife is a huge fan of his music but I've always been lukewarm. I found the '80s stuff on the radio was always just ok and I never felt inspired to buy his albums. Anyway, my wife bought this when released and I love this album. Great stuff from beginning to end, and for some reason I still can't get into his other work. Anyway, I just randomly chose this song.

This is a better one.

Blackhawk6515

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 21, 2008

You could make the argument that Jason Isbell is one of the best song writers right now. His lyrics are genius.

• Agree
Reactions: MJ29 and bawbie

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Is Gabe's still open? Man, I saw some really weird shows there back in the day.
It's open still. I swear I saw Peter Frampton there with my brother but my brother says it never happened in his memory. We aren't sure who has the worse memory of the two of us.

• Haha
Reactions: BillBrasky4Cy