Best place in ames to buy laptop

Dopey

Nov 2, 2009
I bought a $500 Toshiba 2.5 years ago and it still works perfectly fine. But, my girlfriend is thrilled with her $1300 mac (cheapest option available....). So get what you want. I could give a **** less what kind of computer you get, as long as you don't wear skinny jeans and get a haircut once a month.

CSheen

Feb 10, 2011
I bought a $500 Toshiba 2.5 years ago and it still works perfectly fine. But, my girlfriend is thrilled with her $1300 mac (cheapest option available....). So get what you want. I could give a **** less what kind of computer you get, as long as you don't wear skinny jeans and get a haircut once a month.

****, I haven't had my haircut in an abnormal 2 months, but that's only because ive been balls deep in jameson whiskey On a tuesday through saturday basis. I dont wear skinny jeans, but I did wear a hoodie lastnight. Please tell me there is still hope and that I am not a hipster.

Im investigating the laptop scene right now, I would love to get one online, but im a procrastinator and have reports to type tonight.

hawkeyeh8r

Jun 10, 2010
Ames
with the new viruses that people are creating for macs they may go through a period similar to what PC's did when viruses were rampant (more than they are today) and AV's were struggling to keep up. PC's are better than macs because they are cheaper to purchase initially and easier to upgrade down the road. Ive had my desktop pc for 5 years and ive only had to replace to the motherboard out of necessity. I've replaced and added other parts to help it keep up but it still runs perfectly if not better than when i first bought it

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Consumer reports recently did a test on laptops.

For 15" laptops the Apple scored 1st with a score of 78. Seoncd place was a Dell XPS with a score of 72. The performance of the Dell was actually higher than the apple but the apple had higher scores for the display.

The only kicker is that the Apple was $2,000 and the Dell was $800.

As far reliability:

Probelms per 100

Toshiba 15
Acer 15
Apple 17
Lenova 17
Gateway 17
Sony 18
HP 19
Dell 20

So not much difference from top to bottom.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
For 13" the apple macbook air won with a score of 78 for $1,300

Toshiba scored a 76 for $700

Macbook Pro 73 for $1,500

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
I buy Macs because they work and they are easy to use. I'm not a computer guy, I'm just a guy. My computer doesn't define me. It's a tool I need, that's all. I want it to be trouble-free and user-friendly. There's no argument for PCs being as trouble-free or as user-friendly for the average household consumer.

Apparently it does define you...because you spent twice as much for it. In this day and age, the programs that both run are virtually the same.

hawkeyeh8r

Jun 10, 2010
Ames
For 13" the apple macbook air won with a score of 78 for $1,300

Toshiba scored a 76 for $700

Macbook Pro 73 for $1,500

the macbook air is a fail...no cd drive and if i remember right there werent any usb drives either unless theyve added some in newer models

Senolcyc

Apr 20, 2010
Apparently it does define you...because you spent twice as much for it. In this day and age, the programs that both run are virtually the same.

Unless a person has owned both, they aren't qualified to comment. I've owned both. It's awfully easy for someone who's always owned Chevys to say that Fords suck, but if you've never owned a Ford, you have zero knowledge of Fords. Exact same thing. Most computer guys, whether they prefer PC or Mac, have only ever owned PC or Mac. Their allegiance would never allow them to possibly own the other. Those people have no basis for a comparative opinion and their comments are invalid.

hawkeyeh8r

Jun 10, 2010
Ames
Unless a person has owned both, they aren't qualified to comment. I've owned both. It's awfully easy for someone who's always owned Chevys to say that Fords suck, but if you've never owned a Ford, you have zero knowledge of Fords. Exact same thing. Most computer guys, whether they prefer PC or Mac, have only ever owned PC or Mac. Their allegiance would never allow them to possibly own the other. Those people have no basis for a comparative opinion and their comments are invalid.

you dont necessarily have to own it to be able to have an opinion. Ive been forced to use macs plenty of times for a variety of things and besides graphic arts and stuff, pc wins hands down on pretty much everything else. ease of use may still go to macs though compared to windows 7. not much beats windows xp in terms of usability. pcs are nicer b/c they are compatible with far more computers and programs than macs are. macs are getting better but they still arent there yet.

ISC

Oct 15, 2009
Iowa
you dont necessarily have to own it to be able to have an opinion. Ive been forced to use macs plenty of times for a variety of things and besides graphic arts and stuff, pc wins hands down on pretty much everything else. ease of use may still go to macs though compared to windows 7. not much beats windows xp in terms of usability. pcs are nicer b/c they are compatible with far more computers and programs than macs are. macs are getting better but they still arent there yet.

i've used both and actually switched from apple to PC. Once apple switched to generic PC parts (intel processors and IDE drives), they had absolutely no advantage. I was ok paying more than a PC for a mac that was actually a better machine (power PC processors and SCSI drives) now you're just overpaying for 2nd rate hardware (unless you go super high end (like the stuff the graphics professionals buy), then they are still (still arguably) worth it

Cy4Patriots

Jan 10, 2011
I happen to be in the IT industry and have had better success dealing directly with the manufacturer. I bought my HP directly from their website. I went to Best Buy to take a look at the model, but they said they didn't carry the higher end models due to the market around here. I thought that was odd considering they are a huge sponsor of Apple. I guess people will pay $1500 for a Mac, but not for a PC, makes sense I guess. I had a couple of problems with it and HP took care of it quickly and with good communication. They sent me a new one in 1 week. Sony on the other hand....

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron