Best Mexican Restaurant in Every College Town

MisterO

Proverbs 19:11
Dec 6, 2020
Not in power 5, but relevant for traveling Cyclones this Fall:
UNLV: Tacos al Gordo. Get a ‘Vampiro’ and thank me later.

Austin: Maria’s Taco Express

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
They moved their original location on S Dayton from the old Happy Chef building to a new one a couple of blocks west. Very nice as well!
Didn't realize that they had two locations in Ames, we have never eaten at the one off highway 30, only the one out North. But very good Mexican food, love their fajitas.

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
RIP La Fuente and their monster margaritas and their disinterest in scrutinizing photo IDs.

This place was great. So many calories consumed after water polo practice. We decided that they determined what your dish was based on the arrangement of the tomatoes and lettuce, because otherwise, it all looked the same.

• Funny
Reactions: NWICY

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I know this list is all P-5 but just let me throw out a plug for Amigos in Cedar Falls. Best margaritas I've ever had in the state of Iowa, which automatically means their food is also top notch

sleestakCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 2, 2013
Mexican food in Iowa, the Midwest , and in reality most of the country...ugh. Every menu has the exact same items, the names and pictures may change. ..enchilada trio...tres enchilada...Mexicano enchiladas... The food is the same cheap, tasteless, greasy crap. But the punters keep coming.

There are some good taquerias in Iowa serving tacos and tortas. But good luck finding a decent red chile, mole, or Verde sauce. Or decent carnitas and barbacoa. Or potato rajas.

I keep trying them all. Hoping for a miracle. But always end up on the same place...on the toilet in pain.

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
Mexican food in Iowa, the Midwest , and in reality most of the country...ugh. Every menu has the exact same items, the names and pictures may change. ..enchilada trio...tres enchilada...Mexicano enchiladas... The food is the same cheap, tasteless, greasy crap. But the punters keep coming.

There are some good taquerias in Iowa serving tacos and tortas. But good luck finding a decent red chile, mole, or Verde sauce. Or decent carnitas and barbacoa. Or potato rajas.

I keep trying them all. Hoping for a miracle. But always end up on the same place...on the toilet in pain.
The best Mexican Food I ever had was in Moscow, Idaho about 25 years ago. I stopped in an Independent place (do not remember the name), and it had a really nice eclectic (dishes I had never seen before) Mexican seafood menu. I was talking to the mesero, and I asked him about the food. He said, the place was family run (his family), and they only served food from his home town / region in the South of Mexico on the Pacific, which was all seafood based. His mama was in the kitchen cooking it up. Man, that was good!

GrindingAway

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 27, 2006

An American located Mexican food snob isn’t something I knew existed. That’s what the food category is. Cheap, fast and meant to be consumed with a giant margarita

That said try Mimi’s in Ottumwa. It’s a little more Americanized since it moved from the hole in a wall location but it’s the closest to what you describe I’ve seen and if you ask she’s probably make you anything you want honestly