Best kept secret restaurants in Iowa

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
On Tuesday, I went to a new place in northwest Ankeny called "Uptown Food and Beverage Company." They've done a really nice job. Also got to have a good talk with Iowa State's Dennis Gibson, the owner.

arobb

Jan 4, 2014
La Tavola in Burlington is literally one of the best Italian restaurants in the state.

Guy and a Grill in Muscatine has an amazing lunch buffet loaded with smoked meats and comfort food. Their apple crisp is unreal.

SwirlingFloater

Dec 19, 2008
West Des Moines
On Tuesday, I went to a new place in northwest Ankeny called "Uptown Food and Beverage Company." They've done a really nice job. Also got to have a good talk with Iowa State's Dennis Gibson, the owner.

I was bummed when Dennis closed Encore Pizza in Johnston, but look forward to trying his new place.

Cypwr

Mar 18, 2006
Ameskeny
I consider myself kind of a local connoisseur of tenderloins and the two places that stand out to me are both on the South side of Des Moines, B&B Meat & Deli's Killer Breaded Pork Tenderloin Sandwich, they also have some awesome Italian sausage. The best is Nick's on Army Post Rd. I tend to stop there every time I am at the airport. I not sure either is a secret with B&B being featured on one of those TV food shows in the past and Nick's winning the Iowa Pork Producers Association "Best Breaded Pork Tenderloin" competition.

• Funny
Reactions: 3mor4Cy

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
Manhattan Deli, especially the Thursday special Italian grinder.
Fat Tuesday in South DM.
Uncle Wendellr's on Ingersoll for the rib meat sandwich.

MLawrence

Jan 21, 2010
Copper kettle in Dubuque. The fried cheese curds (battered) are amazing. The gyro is good too.

As a current resident of Dubuque, the Cooperkettle is my favorite place to eat in town. It can get a little cramped but the food is fantastic. Another restaurant in eastern Iowa that probably should be listed is the Flatted Fifth in Bellevue. The fried green tomatoes are awesome.

Reactions: SNEDDS3

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
A few NE IA gems:

-The Old Rossville Store in Rossville. Great prime rib, friday night fish, and salad bar. Very much an old school supper club kind of place. Feels like you're walking back into the past.

-K-Town Tap in Kendallville. The place always has a crowd. The regular menu is solid bar food, and they have really good specials be it Wing Wednesday, Friday fish frys, or prime rib on Saturdays. Cheap drinks, and the owners are friendly as hell.

-St. Olaf Tap in St. Olaf. Best tenderloin in Iowa. TG on tap. What else do you need?

-Irish Shanti in Gunder. Just awesome food, in a tiny town in the middle of nowhere. Love the turkey tender sandwich, and of course the infamous Gunderburger is a beast.

-Safehouse Saloon in Lansing. Some of the best wings around, and an incredible selection of tap beer for a town of 1,000 people.

-The Longbranch in Florenceville. From the outside, it looks like it's halfway in disrepair, and it sits tucked away in the Upper Iowa valley literally on the Minnesota line in a town that isn't on the map. But the interior is really well done, the fish frys are top notch, and the beer is always cold.
One to add to your NE IA list: http://wcfcourier.com/business/loca...cle_21543604-f92b-5369-a513-836b43ffb9f3.html

Been there several times on visits to NE Iowa.

Reactions: Al_4_State

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I haven't been personally, but The Filling Station in Davenport is supposed to be very good. I hear nothing but great things from family and friends that have gone.

The other one is Whitey's Ice Cream. It's no big secret in the QC, but if you're talking to someone not from the QC they kind of dumb-awed "WTF???" look on their face, however, several travel mags have rated Whitey's among the best ice cream on the planet.

• Agree
Reactions: fatkid1974

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Mucky Duck in Ames best fried fish and I am not big on fish.
Just went to Cole's in Slater. Loved their tenderloin.
Denny's in Carroll. (not the chain restaurant either.
Cliff's in Manning.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Some visuals to my previously posted Sioux City favs:

Sneaky's Chicken
9623238_G.jpg

9668251_ZPUvj3z8UvSbPR4hoMYObttGQX3vmztvXaOqvfmWxno.jpg

El Fredo pizza
slider2.jpg

348s.jpg

Reactions: BillBrasky4Cy

Iastfan112

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Vinny's BBQ in Dakota City is the best I've had in the state.