Best kept secret restaurants in Iowa

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
The DM Rag is fond of listing Top Ten things in Iowa like best pork tenderloin, best coffee, etc. I thought it might be interesting (and rewarding, too!) to share some places to dine out that might be under the radar. I am always up for a good meal, even if it involves a drive. If you know a place like this, tell us about it.

Mine is Unkie's in Thor - the place is packed every night. We try to get there by 5:30 - it's about a 20 minute drive from Fort Dodge - and by then, we still have to wait for a table. They're only open for dinner, so it's more like an old-fashioned supper club. The usual fare - steaks, chops, broasted chicken, some seafood. Weekends they have specials on lobster and/or prime rib. You won't go away hungry and the prices are very reasonable. Most bar drinks are $3.00. You can't beat it!

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Pub on the Cedar in Charles City. Good food, nice beer selection. A nice outdoor patio overlooking the river. Went to it twice while on Ragbrai. It's your typical sports bar menu, and atmosphere.

Reactions: neiacy

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
A few NE IA gems:

-The Old Rossville Store in Rossville. Great prime rib, friday night fish, and salad bar. Very much an old school supper club kind of place. Feels like you're walking back into the past.

-K-Town Tap in Kendallville. The place always has a crowd. The regular menu is solid bar food, and they have really good specials be it Wing Wednesday, Friday fish frys, or prime rib on Saturdays. Cheap drinks, and the owners are friendly as hell.

-St. Olaf Tap in St. Olaf. Best tenderloin in Iowa. TG on tap. What else do you need?

-Irish Shanti in Gunder. Just awesome food, in a tiny town in the middle of nowhere. Love the turkey tender sandwich, and of course the infamous Gunderburger is a beast.

-Safehouse Saloon in Lansing. Some of the best wings around, and an incredible selection of tap beer for a town of 1,000 people.

-The Longbranch in Florenceville. From the outside, it looks like it's halfway in disrepair, and it sits tucked away in the Upper Iowa valley literally on the Minnesota line in a town that isn't on the map. But the interior is really well done, the fish frys are top notch, and the beer is always cold.

Reactions: SCyclone

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Make a road trip to Dunlap and enjoy a pork tenderloin at the Dairy Sweet (brought home the title in the mid 2000's) and some broasted chicken at the Gold Slipper. The Gold Slipper has an old school supper club type feel to it and there just aren't that many of those places left.

Reactions: NWICY and isu22andy

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny
I'm on the road in rural Iowa for work, so keep in mind my comparison is often against Casey's pizza.

209 Main - Paton
Lewright's Deli - Eagle Grove
Teluwut - Osage

WoodCy

Feb 28, 2014
Atkins, IA
Zoeys is good but I prefer Tomasos. Cheaper and don't have to wait on the Marion square for 30 minutes for a table.
Agreed on the Zoey's comment. Its good but best in the state may be a reach. In CR metro I like Roscoe's on the SW side the best. It is in the strip mall behind Taco John's on Edgewood. The decor is interesting but the pizza is great.

I love Taco Tico. I always go with the Texas Burrito and a Chicken Sancho.

NW Steakhouse in Mason City is really great too.

Bob's Drive Inn in LeMars is great. Get the Cheese Tavern or the Bob Dog with meat and cheese.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
A few NE IA gems:

-The Old Rossville Store in Rossville. Great prime rib, friday night fish, and salad bar. Very much an old school supper club kind of place. Feels like you're walking back into the past.

-K-Town Tap in Kendallville. The place always has a crowd. The regular menu is solid bar food, and they have really good specials be it Wing Wednesday, Friday fish frys, or prime rib on Saturdays. Cheap drinks, and the owners are friendly as hell.

-St. Olaf Tap in St. Olaf. Best tenderloin in Iowa. TG on tap. What else do you need?

-Irish Shanti in Gunder. Just awesome food, in a tiny town in the middle of nowhere. Love the turkey tender sandwich, and of course the infamous Gunderburger is a beast.

-Safehouse Saloon in Lansing. Some of the best wings around, and an incredible selection of tap beer for a town of 1,000 people.

-The Longbranch in Florenceville. From the outside, it looks like it's halfway in disrepair, and it sits tucked away in the Upper Iowa valley literally on the Minnesota line in a town that isn't on the map. But the interior is really well done, the fish frys are top notch, and the beer is always cold.

There sure are a lot of best tenderloins in Iowa, and I say that as a lifelong tenderloin fan.