Best ISU Football Team You've Watched

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Does a 12-0 Iowa State (with a win over Texas, yeah yeah I know fat chance against that superteam) get send to Pasadena to play USC?

More likely, if we were 11-1 and the losers of the Big 12 championship game, do we slide into Texas Tech's spot and play Alabama in Dallas?

I suppose some of that depends on how voters viewed our performance. If we played Texas tough and our defense distinguished itself, that might have "legitimized" us even if we lost. If we got blown out, we probably drop like a rock.

If you were an outsider/national media person, how would you rank an 11-0 team that won 5 games by one possession, and didn't beat anyone who was better than 7-4?

On the flip side, there's Texas' regular season -- scored 40+ points 10 times, 50+ points six times and 60+ points three times. Lowest total was 25 against Ohio State in week 2. Only gave up 20+ points four times.

***ISU WINS, FINISHES 12-0***
Assume ISU is around BCS #9 coming in to the Big 12 title game. Is a win over #2 Texas enough to leapfrog:
#3 Penn State (in the clubhouse at 10-1 as B1G champ) -- stayed at #3
#4 LSU (lost to #13 Georgia in SEC title game, finished 10-2) -- dropped to #12
#5 Virginia Tech (lost to NR Florida State in ACC title game, finished 10-2) -- dropped to #10
#6 Ohio State (in the clubhouse at 9-2) -- moved up to #4
#7 Oregon (in the clubhouse at 10-1) -- moved up to #5
#8 Notre Dame (in the clubhouse at 9-2) -- moved up to #6

That's where it starts to get murky. If ISU doesn't vault all the way up to #2, then it goes to the Fiesta Bowl as the contracted rep from the Big 12. So the bowl lineup fills in like this:
Rose: #1 USC (P-10) vs #2 Penn State (B1G)
Fiesta: Iowa State (B12) vs TBA*
Sugar: Georgia (SEC) vs TBA*
Orange: Florida State (ACC) vs TBA*
*The TBA pool consists of West Virginia (Big East champ), Notre Dame (automatic at-large), and Ohio State (automatic at-large). The selection order to fill the remaining spots was (1) Orange, (2) Fiesta, (3) Sugar.

So in this scenario, I imagine that the Orange wants a FSU-ND matchup. That leaves ISU to play either Notre Dame or Ohio State.

***ISU LOSES, FINISHES 11-1***
Won't be ranked high enough to finish in the BCS picture. Cotton Bowl has the #2 selection from the Big 12, takes Iowa State. ISU/Bama Part II.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
If you were an outsider/national media person, how would you rank an 11-0 team that won 5 games by one possession, and didn't beat anyone who was better than 7-4?

On the flip side, there's Texas' regular season -- scored 40+ points 10 times, 50+ points six times and 60+ points three times. Lowest total was 25 against Ohio State in week 2. Only gave up 20+ points four times.

***ISU WINS, FINISHES 12-0***
Assume ISU is around BCS #9 coming in to the Big 12 title game. Is a win over #2 Texas enough to leapfrog:
#3 Penn State (in the clubhouse at 10-1 as B1G champ) -- stayed at #3
#4 LSU (lost to #13 Georgia in SEC title game, finished 10-2) -- dropped to #12
#5 Virginia Tech (lost to NR Florida State in ACC title game, finished 10-2) -- dropped to #10
#6 Ohio State (in the clubhouse at 9-2) -- moved up to #4
#7 Oregon (in the clubhouse at 10-1) -- moved up to #5
#8 Notre Dame (in the clubhouse at 9-2) -- moved up to #6

That's where it starts to get murky. If ISU doesn't vault all the way up to #2, then it goes to the Fiesta Bowl as the contracted rep from the Big 12. So the bowl lineup fills in like this:
Rose: #1 USC (P-10) vs #2 Penn State (B1G)
Fiesta: Iowa State (B12) vs TBA*
Sugar: Georgia (SEC) vs TBA*
Orange: Florida State (ACC) vs TBA*
*The TBA pool consists of West Virginia (Big East champ), Notre Dame (automatic at-large), and Ohio State (automatic at-large). The selection order to fill the remaining spots was (1) Orange, (2) Fiesta, (3) Sugar.

So in this scenario, I imagine that the Orange wants a FSU-ND matchup. That leaves ISU to play either Notre Dame or Ohio State.

***ISU LOSES, FINISHES 11-1***
Won't be ranked high enough to finish in the BCS picture. Cotton Bowl has the #2 selection from the Big 12, takes Iowa State. ISU/Bama Part II.

Another great analysis. Thank you.

I can see voters being skeptical of an 11-0 Iowa State with no marquis wins on its CV, but if we somehow managed to beat that Texas juggernaut?

I would have to think that justifies a #2 ranking at that point. The narrative going into that game would have been, "Is Iowa State for real? Can they compete with this historically great Texas team on its way to the match-up of the century with Southern Cal?" If we somehow manage to win that game, we answer with a resounding yes.

I do not know how you do not give a 12-0 team from the Big 12, one coming off a victory over this seemingly invincible Texas team, a shot.

There would have been two undefeated high-major teams going into the selection. You have to figure you want the two of them to play each other.

And yes, I know, the BCS formula could be fickle, but if Iowa State is #2 in the two major human polls, that puts it a long ways towards "in."

Last edited:

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Another great analysis. Thank you.

I can see voters being skeptical of an 11-0 Iowa State with no marquis wins on its CV, but if we somehow managed to beat that Texas juggernaut?

I would have to think that justifies a #2 ranking at that point.

I do not know how you do not give a 12-0 team from the Big 12, one coming off a victory over this seemingly invincible Texas team, a shot.

There would have been two undefeated high-major teams going into the selection. You have to figure you want the two of them to play each other.

And yes, I know, the BCS formula could be fickle, but if Iowa State is #2 in the two major human polls, that puts it a long ways towards "in."

I guess the question would be if a win over Texas in the B12 championship would have discredited the Longhorns or legitimized Iowa State in terms of national perception. It'd be easy to justify voters bumping ISU up to #2 in the human polls, but it'd be just as easy to dismiss them due to their schedule and put the one loss Big Ten champ there instead. A USC - Penn State matchup would have been far more appealing for the media folks.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I guess the question would be if a win over Texas in the B12 championship would have discredited the Longhorns or legitimized Iowa State in terms of national perception. It'd be easy to justify voters bumping ISU up to #2 in the human polls, but it'd be just as easy to dismiss them due to their schedule and put the one loss Big Ten champ there instead. A USC - Penn State matchup would have been far more appealing for the media folks.

Trojans / Lions would have been the greatest screw job in the history of Iowa State (and not a short list) if that happened when we went 12-0 and beat Vince Young.

Which means it absolutely would have happened. :(

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Trojans / Lions would have been the greatest screw job in the history of Iowa State (and not a short list) if that happened when we went 12-0 and beat Vince Young.

Which means it absolutely would have happened. :(

Eh, maybe. I mean, you'd like to think that ISU would have gotten a fair shake but we've seen enough breaks go the wrong way to know that it would have been no sure thing.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006

2005 was also the year that the AP poll was jettisoned from the BCS formula, and was replaced with the Harris poll (panel list), which had its detractors. Coaches' poll (1/3), Harris poll (1/3), and computers (1/3) made up the formula.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Similar exercise with the 2017 team, which could have gone 11-1 with a few breaks...

W Northern Iowa
W Iowa -- say we actually finish them off this time
W Akron
L Texas -- yeah, we deserved to lose that game even if it was only 7-17
W Oklahoma
W Kansas
W Texas Tech
W TCU
W WVU -- just finish off one more drive and we do it
W Oklahoma State -- assume no ref screw job
W Baylor
W Kansas State -- assume no even worse ref screw job

Big 12 standings
---
8-1 Oklahoma
8-1 Iowa State
7-2 TCU
5-4 Oklahoma State and Texas
4-5 West Virginia and Kansas State
3-6 Texas Tech
1-8 Baylor
0-9 Kansas

Rematch in Arlington against Oklahoma for the Big 12 championship.

Assuming we lose that game, we probably take either the TCU slot (against Stanford in the Alamo Bowl in San Antonio) or the Oklahoma State slot (against Virginia Tech in Orlando, the same one we had last season). Either is pretty nice.

But assuming we win... here were the CFP rankings the last week...

#1 Clemson (12-1) -- ACC champions
#2 Oklahoma (12-1) -- Big 12 champions
#3 Georgia (12-1) -- SEC champions
#4 Alabama (11-1)
#5 Ohio State (11-2) -- Big Ten champions
#6 Wisconsin (12-1)

Would we just replace Oklahoma as a 12-1 playoff team? Playing Georgia in the Rose Bowl so they do not have an immediate SEC match-up to start if off...?

Or would Ohio State jump us?

The skepticism about the 2005 team I can see, but the 2017 would have beaten then #3 Oklahoma in Norman, #4 TCU, and #12 Oklahoma State, and we would have come back around to prove it beating Oklahoma again in the Big 12 title game.

That seems like a resume that would do it despite our historical reputation.

Last edited:
Reactions: beentherebefore

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
The 2005 team had the best defense I have ever seen for Iowa State. Just going through that roster on defense is impressive even now...

Jason Berryman
Big Play Curvey
Nick Leaders
Tim Dobbins
Lamarcus Hicks
Deandre Jackson
Steve Paris

...plus some other quality guys. That defense was full of guys who have legitimate cases to be all-timers at their position for the program.

Should have been 12-0 despite the average offense...

View attachment 73767

W
W
W
Lost in 2 OT
How we lost at home to pre-Briles Baylor I will never understand
Lost in OT
W
W
W
W
Lost in OT
Lost by 3

That team should have went 12-0 and rose to #3 in the rankings, had the honor of being crushed by #2 Texas in Houston, and then went to a BCS game.

The 2005 team is the best Iowa State team I can remember seeing before Campbell came around despite it only going 6-7 with all those close losses.
Add in the conference schedule couldn’t have been easier. The three best teams in the league - UT, OU, and TTU all absent from ISUs schedule.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Add in the conference schedule couldn’t have been easier. The three best teams in the league - UT, OU, and TTU all absent from ISUs schedule.
Imagine that right now.. Not having to play OU and Texas would feel like the biggest weight off the back.

Sevey

Jun 16, 2007
Adel
Showing my age but it has to be the 1976 team that went 8-3 in the Big Eight, which was the dominate conference in college football in the early and mid seventies.

Averaged over 430 yards a game in offense, under the old "3 yards and a cloud of dust rules". The offensive yards per game was the school record till 2 years ago.

The 1976 team lost their best offensive player, returning 1000 yard rusher Mike Williams, to injury before the season started.

Beat top 20 teams NE and Mizzou, and played OU to 6-6 tie into the 4th qtr. Surprisingly, despite their record and the 2nd leading offense in the nation they did not go to a bowl game.
My sophomore year of college. The game against Nebraska that year was the best Cyclone game I have ever seen. We camped out all night to get the best seats (general admission for students). Student section was crazy!

MWB76

Jul 16, 2018
south dakota
Ok, for the sake of history here is an absolutely true and funny story from the 1976 NE game.

It the middle of the fourth quarter and ISU is driving down the field (running every play...don't think ISU threw a pass in the 2nd half) to eventually score a TD and go up by 16. There's a timeout...crowds going nuts and two guys were running round and round the concourse holding a bedsheet up, rolled to look like a joint...that said "Smoke em Glover". The offensive players on the field noticed the bedsheet guys and pointed it out to Glover....who said some thing to the effect of "aw ****, Moms in the crowd", the players in the huddle were busting a gut laughing; went on to score a TD. NE pulled trick KO return (Roger Craig passing crossfield to Curtis Craig) and went on to score and then fail on a onside kick attempt. Clones win and the goalpost go down at Jack trice for the 1st time.

Land Shark

Apr 6, 2006
Ok, for the sake of history here is an absolutely true and funny story from the 1976 NE game.

It the middle of the fourth quarter and ISU is driving down the field (running every play...don't think ISU threw a pass in the 2nd half) to eventually score a TD and go up by 16. There's a timeout...crowds going nuts and two guys were running round and round the concourse holding a bedsheet up, rolled to look like a joint...that said "Smoke em Glover". The offensive players on the field noticed the bedsheet guys and pointed it out to Glover....who said some thing to the effect of "aw ****, Moms in the crowd", the players in the huddle were busting a gut laughing; went on to score a TD. NE pulled trick KO return (Roger Craig passing crossfield to Curtis Craig) and went on to score and then fail on a onside kick attempt. Clones win and the goalpost go down at Jack trice for the 1st time.

Curtis Craig is correct but Roger graduated Central class of 1979 so it was not him. Trying to figure out who threw it to him.

MuskieCy

Nov 4, 2006

We had a hell of a lot more fun back in those days.

Sharing doobies with the second guitarist with the Son Seals Band at the M-Shop. Beautiful.