Best ISU Football Team You've Watched

Cyfern

Sep 26, 2019
Showing my age but it has to be the 1976 team that went 8-3 in the Big Eight, which was the dominate conference in college football in the early and mid seventies.

Averaged over 430 yards a game in offense, under the old "3 yards and a cloud of dust rules". The offensive yards per game was the school record till 2 years ago.

The 1976 team lost their best offensive player, returning 1000 yard rusher Mike Williams, to injury before the season started.

Beat top 20 teams NE and Mizzou, and played OU to 6-6 tie into the 4th qtr. Surprisingly, despite their record and the 2nd leading offense in the nation they did not go to a bowl game.
Mike Williams' leg injury was so bad, he almost lost his leg. Big loss, but Dexter Green registered a 1,000 yard season. What a special year.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
2005 should have easily been the best team in ISU history - and as such probably qualifies as the most disappointing. What was arguably the best defense in ISU history was absolutely squandered. If we're going to be honest, 2005 more than 2006 cost McCarney his job - 2006 just sealed it.

Yeah, what KU had in 07 with that same weak south rotation is what 05 should have been for us.

fcclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 15, 2009
I don't remember that, but we did get punished --- 42-21.
I remember oranges being thrown on the field that year by our fans but I don’t remember who we were playing.

I just looked at the schedule. It had to be the Nebraska game.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Yeah, what KU had in 07 with that same weak south rotation is what 05 should have been for us.

We should have at least been 11-1 in 2005. 3 of our 4 losses that regular season were in OT after we pissed away 4th quarter leads, and we probably beat Baylor if the offense bothers to show up in the second half. Was always the biggest problem with the McCarney era, and it killed us in 2005 - with the exception of Iowa, almost every single time he got a lead he started playing not to lose instead of trying to put the nail in the coffin.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Didn't seem them live but a bit of a tossup between 2017 and 2018 for me but 2017 was some of the best overall football I've seen ISU play...when they had things going and played at Tech, I wasn't able to watch, and saw on my phone that they were up by maybe a couple of TDs maybe 3rd quarterish and actually thought 'oh, they'll be fine'.

I actually had full confidence in a lead.

Saw last year's TCU game live and obviously they played well that day. Also stayed at the same hotel as the team so was awesome seeing them coming in and out of meetings and I don't know what it was like with previous teams but imo it felt like a group of people that knew what they wanted to do.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I know it will fade over time but I will make it my life’s mission to make sure everyone knows the name Kyle Freakin Kempt and what that name means.

Cyfern

Sep 26, 2019
I remember oranges being thrown on the field that year by our fans but I don’t remember who we were playing.

I just looked at the schedule. It had to be the Nebraska game.
The whole city of Ames and most of Iowa went wild after that '76 win over Nebby. What a great game!!

Reactions: CyBobby

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I'll go with the single game like I did in the worst team thread and say the 2018 win over West Virginia in Ames. Night game, highly ranked opponent, and the Cyclones were in total control from start to finish. Complete game on both sides of the ball. Maybe not the most inspired effort - hard to top the Kyle Kempt game - but probably their best and most complete game in the CMC era to date.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
1976. OU, Nebraska, OSU, Colorado and Iowa State were ranked in the final poll. ISU at #19 and no bowl.

Wasn't Stanley hurt for final game?

fcclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 15, 2009
1976. OU, Nebraska, OSU, Colorado and Iowa State were ranked in the final poll. ISU at #19 and no bowl.

Wasn't Stanley hurt for final game?
Stanley actually got knocked out of the Nebraska game and Buddy Hardeman stepped in. He was a better runner than Stanley and Osborne actually thought he was the difference maker in the game. Most fans would go with Luther Blue after his kickoff return for the touchdown.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
The 2005 team had the best defense I have ever seen for Iowa State. Just going through that roster on defense is impressive even now...

Jason Berryman
Big Play Curvey
Nick Leaders
Tim Dobbins
Lamarcus Hicks
Deandre Jackson
Steve Paris

...plus some other quality guys. That defense was full of guys who have legitimate cases to be all-timers at their position for the program.

Should have been 12-0 despite the average offense...

upload_2020-7-22_21-59-24.png

W
W
W
Lost in 2 OT
How we lost at home to pre-Briles Baylor I will never understand
Lost in OT
W
W
W
W
Lost in OT
Lost by 3

That team should have went 12-0 and rose to #3 in the rankings, had the honor of being crushed by #2 Texas in Houston, and then went to a BCS game.

The 2005 team is the best Iowa State team I can remember seeing before Campbell came around despite it only going 6-7 with all those close losses.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
No doubt in my mind. 1977 Cyclones. Best defense led by Boskey and Stensrud and a grind it out offense behind Dexter Green. I’ve never seen anything like it since. Even our recent teams die n second to this group.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
1976. Nothing compares. 3rd ranked O in the nation. Wayne Stanley QB + Dexter Green RB. And the best ever D-line to wear a Cyclone uni.
Should have won the last game vs OSU to qualify for a bowl game, but there weren't many bowls at the time so our 8-3 team had to stay home.

The run from 76, 77, and 78 was the best years ever of ISU football.

Jayshellberg

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 4, 2016
Omaha
8-3 didn't get a bowl game?
Nope. ISU needed to beat Oklahoma State in its last game to guarantee a bowl bid. Once they lost that game, they needed Neby to beat OU. Doing so would have put Neby in the Orange Bowl and ISU would get a bowl invite. Neby lost the game and the bowl committee gave them an invite instead of ISU, even though ISU beat Neby and they had the same record. How is that for fairness?

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
2005 defense was, without exaggeration one of the best in the country
2005 should have easily been the best team in ISU history - and as such probably qualifies as the most disappointing. What was arguably the best defense in ISU history was absolutely squandered. If we're going to be honest, 2005 more than 2006 cost McCarney his job - 2006 just sealed it.

yes, that 2005 defense was really one of the top 10 defenses in the country. It was loaded. Such a wasted opportunity.

Help Support Us

Become a patron