Best Iowa HS athlete of all time

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I was going to say those two especially Najates as he played minor league baseball as well didn't he?

I think so, its kinda wild the athletes that have come from that area Pretty sure some guys came from their and played for Nebby in their title runs in the 90s

cyclonenation5

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 12, 2013
Ames
I think you have to throw Cooper Dejean on the list. He won back to back high school football titles and multiple track titles. He was also a really good basketball player.

He came to my mind as a recent one, too. Baseball was probably his least impressive sport. Quikstats says he batted .511 with a 0.50 ERA his junior year.

Reactions: Nihawk

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
I think so, its kinda wild the athletes that have come from that area Pretty sure some guys came from their and played for Nebby in their title runs in the 90s
Vanden Bosch at Neb. Also LeVar Woods from Iowa. They might have even been in the same class.

Knew a guy that played with Vanden Bosch at Nebraska. Said he was pretty crazy. Not as crazy as the Peter brothers. He said they were legit psychos.

Last edited:

CloneFanInKC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2021
Camden Bosch at Neb. Also LeVar Woods from Iowa. They might have even been in the same class.

Knew a guy that played with Vanden Bosch at Nebraska. Said he was pretty crazy. Not as crazy as the Peter brothers. He said they were legit psychos.
KVDB was able to control himself but was crazy when he wanted to be. Workout fanatic.

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
I doubt you'd say he was the best but Mark Sindlinger probably deserves a mention. 3x state champ as a SHwt plus some Jr National titles, all state in football and I believe a state qualifier in track.

Post high school he was a 2x AA and B10 champ in wrestling and a multi year starter on the o line for Iowa (maybe all conf??)

The interesting sidenote to his resume is that his oldest daughter was pretty spectacular in her own right. She was an all state volleyball player and a 4x (!!!) state champion golfer. She's either the only Iowan or one of two to pull that off.

CySmurf

Jul 14, 2011
Ben Kueter from Iowa City HS just won the U20 world championship in Bulgaria for wrestling at 97 kg. He's a top 10 overall pound for pound recruit in wrestling. He is a Iowa football and wrestling commit- a 4 star linebacker, 2x state wrestling champ, and also a standout in baseball + T&F. It got me thinking he has to be high on the list of best Iowa HS athletes of all time. Some others that came to mind:

Tim Dwight - won a billion T&F titles + elite all state football

Jeff Clement - Broke the national all time hs homerun record, don't remember if he played other sports though

Jeff Horner - 4x elite all state basketball, standout in football, baseball, and track

Harrison Barnes - At times was the consensus #1 overall bball recruit in the country, did some high jump and long jump in T&F but otherwise didn't play any other sports

Austen Arnaud - One of the best HS quarterbacks I have seen play in person. Also played basketball, baseball, and ran track, was a standout in all 3 but not near as elite as he was in football

Who did I leave off the list?
Shawn Johnson

Isualum13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2018
Ben Kueter from Iowa City HS just won the U20 world championship in Bulgaria for wrestling at 97 kg. He's a top 10 overall pound for pound recruit in wrestling. He is a Iowa football and wrestling commit- a 4 star linebacker, 2x state wrestling champ, and also a standout in baseball + T&F. It got me thinking he has to be high on the list of best Iowa HS athletes of all time. Some others that came to mind:

Jeff Clement - Broke the national all time hs homerun record, don't remember if he played other sports though

Jeff Horner - 4x elite all state basketball, standout in football, baseball, and track

Harrison Barnes - At times was the consensus #1 overall bball recruit in the country, did some high jump and long jump in T&F but otherwise didn't play any other sports

Austen Arnaud - One of the best HS quarterbacks I have seen play in person. Also played basketball, baseball, and ran track, was a standout in all 3 but not near as elite as he was in football

An alumni of st ansgar, Matt sherman, was the quarterback at iowa in the 90s, played significant time all four years. I think he was injured most of his senior season. Held some records at iowa for some time. Played for the barnstormers after college, had he not been injured his senior season he likely would have been drafted. Is he the best iowa high school athelte of all tim? probably not, but he's by far the best from my small hometown. Screenshot_20220816-213711_Chrome.jpg

fcclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 15, 2009
An alumni of st ansgar, Matt sherman, was the quarterback at iowa in the 90s, played significant time all four years. I think he was injured most of his senior season. Held some records at iowa for some time. Played for the barnstormers after college, had he not been injured his senior season he likely would have been drafted. Is he the best iowa high school athelte of all tim? probably not, but he's by far the best from my small hometown. View attachment 101745
Ryan Hannam represented pretty well also.

Reactions: 1UNI2ISU

Land Shark

Apr 6, 2006

Jay Berwanger- Dubuque

Reactions: CyNews and Cy4Lifer

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
Hurl Beachum was one heck of a high school quarterback and basketball player. He was just slightly less than Fred Hoiberg back then.

North had a wide reciever go pro. Name escapes me but I’m guessing he killed it in track also.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Lafrentz and Hinrich are up there. Raef is the best bball player to come out of the state, Kirk was decent in track as well iirc.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
Another one I think deserves a mention is Rose Ripslinger (Davenport Assumption). She was the 4x Gatorade POY in girls soccer, the nation's first athlete to ever win the distinction four times. She was also a 5x Drake Relays champion and state champion in various sprints and relays. That's not a typo. She was competing in track and soccer at the same time and was elite in both.

Reactions: VeloClone

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron