Best Iowa HS athlete of all time

1Nation

May 16, 2013
CA
Didn't Bob Feller play professionally while he was still in high school....and dominated at like 17 years old?

• Winner
Reactions: isucy86

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I don't know how much Scherff has made, but Harrison Barnes will have made $166 million after the next NBA season, and he is only 30.

His stats are better than I thought. Still that's a lot of coin for playing hoops.

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
Are you defining high school athletes based on their age or if they competed in high school athletics? Shawn never competed for WDM Valley. She competed nationally and internationally but never at the high school level since Iowa does not have high school gymnastics.

She was probably still the best high school athlete in the state at that time. There were no specifics in original post. Just High school and athlete. Anybody that played pro sports or won Olympic gold was a way better athlete than 99% of those who ever played a high school sport in Iowa IMO. Stats be damned.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
A lot of people don't know, but Tavion Banks was better at soccer(Olympic level) and could have played anywhere
Banks was an incredible athlete, but Dwight was like nothing I have seen in Iowa HS.

But then again I remember Dwight being down to Iowa and South Carolina, while Craig going to Nebraska at that time suggests he was a better HS player. Looks like Craig was also a state wrestler and track guy, but was not dominant in either.

It gets really hard to judge smaller school guys. Guys like DeJean and Graves are incredible, but it’s quite a difference between the different classes.

CloneFanInKC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2021
Kyle Van De Bosch, and Darren Natjes from West lion. They crushed it in Nw Iowa Kirk Heinrich was a freak at SC West.

West Lion just pounded us in fb in the late 90's
Those guys were studs! Add ISU Luke VanDeSaden (sp) to that list for area and time.

Kyle had a very good NFL career.

Natjes played baseball at Stanford; was drafted and got as high as AA I believe. Track stud, Mr IA baseball player of year I believe. Maybe some high level FB and MBB prep awards as well?

Everyone should be aware of KH prep alcolades.

Last edited:
Reactions: CyCrazy

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
He averaged 16.4 in 2 years at UNC. ACC rockie of the year and was all-acc both years. His jersey is honored there. He certainly wasnt a flop there. He has a 14ppg career NBA average. He's had a nice career.
He was very very good. He wasn't the best high school player in the country though.

Reactions: Nihawk

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Jalen Rima was 200 and 400 champion his last two years plus several relays and All State in football and baseball at Prairie.

Unfortunately flaked out at UNI.

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
He was very very good. He wasn't the best high school player in the country though.
Who was that year? Jared Sullinger? The only person in that class better than him was maybe Kyrie Irving. He was the national player of the year. 1# ranked recruit. I seem to remember him dominating everyone during summers that year.

Last edited:

mb7299

Mar 15, 2013
Iowa Falls
Kyle Van De Bosch, and Darren Natjes from West lion. They crushed it in Nw Iowa Kirk Heinrich was a freak at SC West.

West Lion just pounded us in fb in the late 90's
I was going to say those two especially Najates as he played minor league baseball as well didn't he?

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Best and most accomplished are two completely different animals. If your looking for strictly best athlete Timmy Dwight is going to be very tough to replace from the top spot.

JimmyChitwood

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 3, 2015
Southern Iowa
Dawn Huff(Zeke Elliots mom) was dominant at Mount Ayr in the early 90s. Iowa female athlete of the year in like '91. She won like 4 individual track titles, first team all state in volleyball, basketball, and softball too her SR yr.
She was one of the better female athletes I've seen. Ran track at Mizzou.
She was incredible to watch.
There wasn't anything she couldn't do. She now lives in the St.Louis area.

• Agree
Reactions: deadeyededric

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
I'm too lazy to read the whole thread, and I'm sure the correct answer has been given already. But I wanted to throw in Levi Ferguson's name. Not sure if he still is, but he graduated as the all-time state rushing leader, was a starter on North Mahaska's 2005 state championship basketball team, and was a 4-time first-team all-state selection in baseball. I got to see him play football a couple times and my school played North Mahaska once in basketball. Dude was an absurdly athletic kid.

Reactions: raftercy

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron