Best football season ever?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
It would be hard to argue that this wasn't the best season ever EXCEPT-

I think everyone sees it could have been SO MUCH BIGGER. Could have (should have) won a couple more games which would have put them in the Champ game (OSU and KSU).

That's mind numbing considering what things have been like here 90% of the time.

d30fan

Jul 6, 2007
For those of us that weren't around, how do the size of the players today compare to the players back then?

I knew several of the Dirty Thirty. Linemen, most played both ways, were 225-35. LBs were around 180. They would have been comparable to a 3A high school team today.

Reactions: BWRhasnoAC

acody

Nov 25, 2006
Most competitive, no doubt.

Basically a 9-4 season with two top-5 wins and a few fourth quarter leads blown. Competing for a conference title and CFP. Shore up the run blocking and we’re a top-10 team.

I’d say it’s the best team. Those 70’s teams wouldn’t stand much of a chance against this

Wrong! I doubt you were around to watch those teams in the 70s. This team would get destroyed by the 76,77 ,78 ISU teams. Keep drinking the Koolaid though!

CyInDFW

Aug 14, 2015
Lewisville, TX
2000 was really good and finished in the Top 25 but the wins weren't as impressive as this year. To their credit, they beat everyone they should have (which we can't say this year) except possibly the A&M loss, I can't remember how good they were that year.

We all know what could have been in 2005...

My parents tell me that the Earl Bruce years were the best ever but I haven't asked them to compare those years to this year yet.

It's tough to compare those years to todays football. The Bruce years had some great ISU teams and players, but completely different era of play. IMO the '76-78 teams were three of the best teams ISU has fielded.

Those teams had players that to this day are still some of my favorite players to suit up for Iowa State. RB Dexter Green, Stan Hixon and Ray Hardee at WR, Guy Preston at TE, Mike Stensrud, Tom Boskey and Larry Crawford leading on the D.

The early 80's saw some great players at Iowa State but Donnie Duncan, taking over from Earl Bruce, couldn't get the job done.

Last edited:

CyGuy5

Dec 4, 2013
Kansas City
Record wise, this is the best season I have seen in my life time. This year was the most fun I have had watching Iowa State football in my entire life

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Athletes barely even lifted weights back then. These kids have been groomed since they were young. It's a whole different world for athletics these days.

Which is why they need to be compared to other teams in their era and not to this new one.

IMO this is the best overall team since I've become a fan, but I wasn't alive in the 70s.

Reactions: BWRhasnoAC