Best Denver area to live

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
So, potentially relocating and looking at the Denver area. I have accepted a new 1+ year contract in Medford, OR. While that area is very nice I'm told, not an area we want to relocate to due to technical job opportunities for the wife and I. We've debated Northern California as well - someplace as far into CA as the Sacramento or San Fran area - but I think we'd be happier in Denver for now and perhaps a move to that area should the opportunities for me continue to be on the west coast.

Denver is attractive for a number of obvious reason, plus it has a great airport hub as I continue business travel. Lots of non-stop flight options back to DM and could drive if we wanted.

Key factors for us would be modern residential area and proximity to shopping, dining, nightlife, etc. Being more east won't suck as it would be closer to the airport, but not a requirement.

Wife may be able to relocate and keep her same role with her current company - located in Centennial, so that is a factor as well.

Look forward to some good suggestions!

drlove

Mar 20, 2007
I've lived in the Denver area for 20 years and finally moved to Denver a year ago and am glad i did. There are a lot of great neighborhoods depending on what you are looking for. Are you looking for a suburban feel or more of a city like feel? Do you have kids?

everyyard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2006
www.cyclonejerseys.com
So, potentially relocating and looking at the Denver area. I have accepted a new 1+ year contract in Medford, OR. While that area is very nice I'm told, not an area we want to relocate to due to technical job opportunities for the wife and I. We've debated Northern California as well - someplace as far into CA as the Sacramento or San Fran area - but I think we'd be happier in Denver for now and perhaps a move to that area should the opportunities for me continue to be on the west coast.

Denver is attractive for a number of obvious reason, plus it has a great airport hub as I continue business travel. Lots of non-stop flight options back to DM and could drive if we wanted.

Key factors for us would be modern residential area and proximity to shopping, dining, nightlife, etc. Being more east won't suck as it would be closer to the airport, but not a requirement.

Wife may be able to relocate and keep her same role with her current company - located in Centennial, so that is a factor as well.

Look forward to some good suggestions!

If no kids, get a loft in LoDo.

MilehighClone

Sep 14, 2007
I live in the DTC and love it. But I'm a farm boy and don't do traffic very well, so I need a situation were I can walk/bike to work. Keep us posted and good luck.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
What am I missing.. ......why do you want to live in Denver when you're working in Oregon?

digZ

Sep 2, 2011
Colorado
I don't know much about Denver, other than commuting to/from there from the north during high traffic hours is just awful. If you're into skiing/snowboarding the quality is top notch, though the I70 route from the front range to the major resorts can get taxing, especially if the weather is even somewhat bad. If you're not set on Denver proper, the north suburbs and Boulder have a lot of job opportunities, especially for somebody in software development. As far as food/entertainment you really can't beat Boulder. Only downside is you likely won't be able to live IN Boulder as the prices are ridiculous. Most people live in Lafayette, Louisville, Superior, Erie, Longmont, etc. as they are all within 10-20 minutes of Boulder and are much cheaper.

CyJam

Apr 10, 2006
Denver, CO
I recommend Aurora, Montbello, or Green Valley Ranch. Each offer unique opportunities that you just can't find in Grimes.

digZ

Sep 2, 2011
Colorado
I recommend Aurora, Montbello, or Green Valley Ranch. Each offer unique opportunities that you just can't find in Grimes.

Ah the smell of fresh air when I'm driving down that section of I270...

:twitcy:

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
You're more of a Colorado Springs fit, ISUFan22. Lots of giant tool bags there.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
What am I missing.. ......why do you want to live in Denver when you're working in Oregon?
I may not have elaborated enough - Medford, OR is a small area with not a lot of technical/IT opportunities over the long-term. I'll be working in Medford for a year or a little more, traveling in Sunday night and leaving Thursday afternoon - either working remote or off Friday.

Denver is an area we love as we've been there a few times and it's a great location for the type of work we both do and a hub to fly out of for my current and next consultant roles.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Appreciate the good suggestions - some of the areas noted we've started to look at online, have a few others to look at too. While Green Valley Ranch looks super fun, we'll probably pass on that area. :twitcy:

NW suburb side is likely least desirable due to location from where we expect the wife to be working. If that doesn't happen, then yes, that would be an area we'd look into.

I'd be interested in hearing suggestions on a good realtor in the area for anyone that has worked with one in a relocation situation and had good success.