Best choice for cord cutters

ajbjunior

Feb 4, 2007
Which is dumb, because now I consume NBC from a far off station rather than watching ads from CH 13. And I just stopped watching soundoff.
So you get NBC so all national broadcasts are available on YouTube TV but any local like WHO news is not?

cymonw1980

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 23, 2015
Raleigh, NC
It's about that time of year to be deciding which option is best to watch all the Iowa state games. Have been just live streaming Amazon Prime since March. Hulu live the way to go? I have Samsung Smart TVs so have a few options. What is everyone else doing to be able to watch games

I would go with YouTube TV. I had both last year... switched to youtube about half way through the season. Youtube gives you unlimited recording... so just select your favorite teams (ISU Football, ISU Basketball, etc) and it automatically records all of the games.

Biggest advantage with youtube tv is that they give you all of the ESPN and Fox Sports channels. Hulu was missing a couple. I think there were a couple times when the start of a game was on ESPN News while the prior game was finishing on espn2 for example. since Espn news was not part of the base Hulu package had to wait... youtube no issue. So, whatever you decide to go with, just compare the Espn and fox sports channels included. I have not found any as complete YouTube TV.

cymonw1980

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 23, 2015
Raleigh, NC
It's about that time of year to be deciding which option is best to watch all the Iowa state games. Have been just live streaming Amazon Prime since March. Hulu live the way to go? I have Samsung Smart TVs so have a few options. What is everyone else doing to be able to watch games

I would go with YouTube TV. I had both last year... switched to youtube about half way through the season. Youtube gives you unlimited recording... so just select your favorite teams (ISU Football, ISU Basketball, etc) and it automatically records all of the games.

Biggest advantage with youtube tv is that they give you all of the ESPN and Fox Sports channels. Hulu was missing a couple. I think there were a couple times when the start of a game was on ESPN News while the prior game was finishing on espn2 for example. since Espn news was not part of the base Hulu package had to wait... youtube no issue. So, whatever you decide to go with, just compare the Espn and fox sports channels included. I have not found any as complete YouTube TV.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Have traversed the entire thread, but this has been on my mind the past few days. We have a free trial offer from Fubo, which has most of what we watch anyway -- except ESPN. Odd, since from what I've read Fubo is supposed to be a sports-centric package.

ISU4evertrue

Jun 15, 2019
I'm going with PS Vue if you get the core package for 54.99 you get the ESPN channels and NFL network. From what I've seen, YouTube doesn't seem to have NFL Network. However, I'm going to get the sports package with it making the total 64.99. With that you have NFL RedZone and all of the fox college sports channels not just FS1 and FS2

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
This is correct. Which I am thankful I can get channel 13 with an antenna.

I was an original cord cutter 18 years ago in Chicago because early adopter of hdtv and I got a ton of HD channels with a digital antenna in that city for free including lots of mlb/nba/nhl on wgn/wciu at that time.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid

YouTubTV and Hulu Live have the exact same ESPN and Fox Sports channels.

FOREVERTRUE

Sep 18, 2017
I'm going with PS Vue if you get the core package for 54.99 you get the ESPN channels and NFL network. From what I've seen, YouTube doesn't seem to have NFL Network. However, I'm going to get the sports package with it making the total 64.99. With that you have NFL RedZone and all of the fox college sports channels not just FS1 and FS2

You would get all the same fox sports channels with the core. We opt for the Elite package which puts you at the same price you gain Stadium and MotorTrend plus if you like watching movies FXM and Epix which have pretty good on demand movie features and a couple more Hallmark channels for the wife. You don't get RedZone but you won't miss much else besides ESPN Goal Line.

cymonw1980

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 23, 2015
Raleigh, NC
YouTubTV and Hulu Live have the exact same ESPN and Fox Sports channels.

Does Hulu Live have Fox Sports Midwest, Fox Sports Midwest+, Fox Sports North, North+? I don't know, maybe Hulu has upgraded since I had it...

I believe there were a few B12 games on these lower tier fox channels that I was unable to watch (could be I was in the wrong area too, since I am in Raleigh, maybe I got Fox Sports South instead of Midwest, not sure). YouTube TV has these channels included in the base package... Probably not a big deal and ISU may not be affected this year, but it is possible that a game (ULM maybe?) is on one of these channels. I believe kansas had a few games on Fox Sports Midwest last year.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
Does Hulu Live have Fox Sports Midwest, Fox Sports Midwest+, Fox Sports North, North+? I don't know, maybe Hulu has upgraded since I had it...

I believe there were a few B12 games on these lower tier fox channels that I was unable to watch (could be I was in the wrong area too, since I am in Raleigh, maybe I got Fox Sports South instead of Midwest, not sure). YouTube TV has these channels included in the base package... Probably not a big deal and ISU may not be affected this year, but it is possible that a game (ULM maybe?) is on one of these channels. I believe kansas had a few games on Fox Sports Midwest last year.

Yes. Hulu has those stations.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
We're moving in the near future, and are thinking of going with DirecTVNow. It's not exactly a dramatic cable cut, but it could save us a bunch of money.
The lowest plan is pretty cheap and includes the majority of the channels that we watch. Anyone have any experience with this service?

cyclonepower

Oct 5, 2006
WDM
it sucks WHO 13 cant be streamed as they are my local sports go to but at least I will get the national feed and wont miss any shows...If Directv doesnt pick up ABC 5 shortly I will leave in the next week or two...

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
it sucks WHO 13 cant be streamed as they are my local sports go to but at least I will get the national feed and wont miss any shows...If Directv doesnt pick up ABC 5 shortly I will leave in the next week or two...

You can always use an antenna. I actually prefer the antenna over the stream option for 5,8, and 17.

Psyclone

Mar 18, 2006
Oakland>Ames>Cedar Rapids
I think the running estimate now is roughly 2-3GB of data used per hour of HD streams (SD streams knock it down to around 1GB/hr). If you have kids coming home downloading lots of news games and stuff, big-name games can be 50GB+ a piece. That'd be a bigger worry than the streams alone.

You'd probably be alright with the cap during peak times of kids being around, but it'd be worth keeping an eye on.
I changed my Netflix profile to the LOW data usage and consume 1/10 the data with little difference in quality. Netfix analyzes their movies and shows and can deliver quality using less data. It wouldn't work for live sports, but it works great for movies & shows. I no longer have to watch my data usage. But I'm not streaming regular TV yet. I'm an OTA guy.

• Informative
Reactions: MeowingCows

Cardinal and Gold

Jul 23, 2016
I do PsVue core and do add-on channels during the off-season and cancel them for the season (as my tv experience during season narrows down to football/basketball and fall network and basic cable channel shows). However, for live sports I watch them ota so there’s no delay. I think PsVue has the closest thing to “a la cart” you’ll currently find. Been with PsVue for 4-5ish years now and don’t miss directv at all. I have also tried the majority of the other services throughout that time to see if anyone has improved their products. For me, so far using PsVue on either an amazon or Sony device has the best interface/guide I’ve found with an awesome unlimited cloud dvr. I use dvr because I can fast forward through commercials. Even though most on-demand have limited commercials I’d still rather not watch commercials. That’s my 2 cents. No matter what you choose it will be better than a 2 year contract that includes an arm, a leg, and your first born (maybe that’s not a good thing though :D).

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Gunnerclone

Cardinal and Gold

Jul 23, 2016
We're moving in the near future, and are thinking of going with DirecTVNow. It's not exactly a dramatic cable cut, but it could save us a bunch of money.
The lowest plan is pretty cheap and includes the majority of the channels that we watch. Anyone have any experience with this service?

Yeah, it depends on the channels you watch and if you prefer on-demand or dvr, since directv now doesn’t dvr. I use PsVue, but put my in-laws on directv now because my father-in-law likes car shows and rftv, which isn’t available on PsVue, plus they wouldn’t even begin to understand dvr so on-demand is easier for them anyways. Their is a guide and it is decent, better than what a lot of the other services offer.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron