Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Jollibee

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Other

Votes: 18 7.0%

• Total voters

MJ29

Aug 21, 2020
It's not a restaurant, it's not a sandwich, and it's only local. With that said, I real like the Broasted chicken at High Life/El Bait Shop.

Their broasted chicken is fantastic.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Ideal chicken pack:

- Popeyes chicken tenders
- Probably Popeyes biscuit, but maybe KFC for nostalgia
- Raising Kane's fries
- McDonald's Diet Coke
- Two sauces: Blackened ranch from Popeyes and whatever is in Raising Kane's sauce

I do not understand the love for Chick-Fil-A (although I like their SW chicken salad). Even if I liked them as a company, which I don't, I just don't think their chicken is very good. The breading is sort of like Raising Kane's - not crispy enough, and tastes a little corn-starchy.

CycloneBob

Aug 9, 2010
Ames
For a sandwich - Chic-Fil-A. Wendys used to be just as good, but it appears they have thinned the chicken to cut the cost, so it's not up there anymore.

For chicken tenders, Kwick Star is fantastic; Good and Quick in Nevada is comparably good.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
If you like chick fil a sauce, get a copycat recipe on the web and make it at home. So much better and you get loads of it instead of a tiny packet.

Reactions: Angie

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
If you like chick fil a sauce, get a copycat recipe on the web and make it at home. So much better and you get loads of it instead of a tiny packet.
Isn't it just basically ranch and honey mustard. Never understood the love.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
The Chik-Fil-A near my house, at one time, was (and might still be) the highest grossing location in the chain. About 10 years ago, they tore the place down and rebuilt it with double-lane drive through. The drive-thru is full night and day.

I like the company...I just don't care for their chicken. I would go to El Pollo Loco, Popeyes, and Chicken Express before Chik-Fil-A

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
Isn't it just basically ranch and honey mustard. Never understood the love.
Mustard, honey, bbq sauce, lemon juice, Mayo. I leave the lemon juice out though. Just preference.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
I've made this before, and the copycat is damn near spot on.

Reactions: bos

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I've never understood the infatuation with Chick-Fil-A. Their sandwich is OK but I've had better and it's not worth waiting the long drive thru lines to get. Used to live about 5 minutes from a Popeye's and I'd take anything on their menu over any fast food chicken place. Now I'm about 20 minutes away from that location which is the closest of the 3 in the DM metro so don't get my fill there often anymore.

BTW the KFC in West Des Moines has gone down the crapper in the past year or 2 and not sure if the rest are the same but last 2 piece meal I got there a couple months ago was 2 pathetically small pieces of meat. I remember the KFC on Lincoln Way in Ames used to do a buffet that was a good bang for your buck back in college too.

Reactions: Angie

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Must say, I'm highly intrigued by all the Kwik Star love. Gonna have to try it out. Sandwich, tenders, or fried chicken?

Their fried chicken is good. In fact I just had a 2 piece leg and thigh for $2.99 tonight from there tonight that was delicious. Their hot to-go food is better than anything Caseys, Quick Trip, or Kum and Go has to offer and priced better too.