Best Buy

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
As with everything, somewhere there is a better deal to be had than what you got the previous day.

I saw my DSLR for about $50 less than what I paid for it a few days after I got it in the mail - nature of the beast.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Sorry about that post Jeremy, I should have laid that sarcasm a little thicker so you knew I was yanking everyones chains. I don't own any bose other than the crappy system that came with my maxima. I have a denon receiver (and I HATE denon because of it) and NHT inwalls in my new room. I do agree, bose is just overpriced cheap grade equipment with a slick marketing team.

Sorry:wink: It wasn't directed at you - I just have a hate for Monster Cables and the arrogance that they try to push their product as the only way to get any quality end result. It doesn't help that I was in Best Buy yesterday and listened to the salesman trying to tell a little old lady that was obviously on a fixed budget that she HAD to get Monster Cables to go with her new TV or Best Buy wouldn't be able to guarantee that they would stand behind any warranties because nothing else is a "digital-grade product". I just shook my head in disbelief.

I found the following char which was quite hilarious. It shows the break-out of Monster's 2005 budget...

21-monster-chart.gif

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
Sorry:wink: It wasn't directed at you - I just have a hate for Monster Cables and the arrogance that they try to push their product as the only way to get any quality end result. It doesn't help that I was in Best Buy yesterday and listened to the salesman trying to tell a little old lady that was obviously on a fixed budget that she HAD to get Monster Cables to go with her new TV or Best Buy wouldn't be able to guarantee that they would stand behind any warranties because nothing else is a "digital-grade product". I just shook my head in disbelief.

I found the following char which was quite hilarious. It shows the break-out of Monster's 2005 budget...

21-monster-chart.gif

Not to knock monster specifically, but I work for a web company in urbandale (it rhymes with ice), and I think our budget looks the same. Our marketing dept spends more in 10 days than the entire tech dept spends in a year. And I work for a technology company.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
I could see that - and would expect something like that of a more online services company but I would think a company such as Monster that makes physical products would have a much further tilt toward product development, research and production. Of course when companies get that big, it's really impossible to judge from an outsider.

06_CY

Apr 11, 2006
(Hand raised, hand raised) I know who you work for...

Have you ever tried correcting a Best Buy employee when they are helping someone else? They don't take too kindly to it. :biggrin:

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006

Have you ever tried correcting a Best Buy employee when they are helping someone else? They don't take too kindly to it. :biggrin:

Yeah - it's kinda fun:wink::yes:

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown

I do that all the time, it is the most fun at CompUSA, but I guess I will not get to do that anymore.

crash_zone

Apr 10, 2006
Sioux Falls, SD
I love best buy. I buy all of my stereo components there. I love my bose wave radio, and accustomast system, it is the best system money can buy, bar none! I have it all hooked up with gold monster cable, and you can totally hear the differnce. I challenge anyone to show me a better system than what I have!

I have an engineering buddy that all he does is read about/tinker with/build speaker is his free time. I'd bet all my cy credits that his system is better:wink:

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
Sorry about that post Jeremy, I should have laid that sarcasm a little thicker so you knew I was yanking everyones chains. I don't own any bose other than the crappy system that came with my maxima. I have a denon receiver (and I HATE denon because of it) and NHT inwalls in my new room. I do agree, bose is just overpriced cheap grade equipment with a slick marketing team.

I was reading through these posts after yours wondering what the heck people were talking about. Even I (sarcasm impaired) got that.

Arkansas Cyclone

Nov 25, 2006
Bentonville, Arkansas
On the topic of extended warranty, BB convinced me (and it took awhile) to go with the warranty on my Toshiba tv. Thank God I did cuz it went down twice in a year and a half. I still hate extended warranties but with quality of products on a sharp decline it's something you actually have to give a little extra thought to just to protect yourself (strictly speaking high dollar items).

Totally agree with everyone on Monster cables being overated and DEFINITELY overpriced.

As for prices, I just bought a blue ray Sony dvd player from Target yesterday for $269. Same dvd player was $400 at BB so definitely shop around before you buy at BB.

CloneBack

Apr 17, 2007
West Des Moines
I love best buy. I buy all of my stereo components there. I love my bose wave radio, and accustomast system, it is the best system money can buy, bar none! I have it all hooked up with gold monster cable, and you can totally hear the differnce. I challenge anyone to show me a better system than what I have!

Ha ha, that's funny. Did you mean Acoustimass? and did you do any research before purchasing? The reviews online don't support your statement. I challenge anyone to show you how you could have saved a ton of money and had a better home theater system.

Liquidtheater.Com: The problem with Bose

ps - The same goes for your bose wave radio. You could/should have bought a henry kloss model 88 and paid much less and had better quality. If you think Bose and Monster make a quality product, then I have some land down in Florida that I would like to sell you!

Jerry1982

Sep 3, 2006
NE Iowa
Ha ha, that's funny. Did you mean Acoustimass? and did you do any research before purchasing? The reviews online don't support your statement. I challenge anyone to show you how you could have saved a ton of money and had a better home theater system.

Liquidtheater.Com: The problem with Bose

ps - The same goes for your bose wave radio. You could/should have bought a henry kloss model 88 and paid much less and had better quality. If you think Bose and Monster make a quality product, then I have some land down in Florida that I would like to sell you!

ha ha, you skip read the thread. Brianhos Gotcha.
Brianhos is like a god around here. :cool:

But Merry Christmas.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
ha ha, you skip read the thread. Brianhos Gotcha.

But Merry Christmas.

Shhh, dont give him a big head. We try to keep him under control. =)

Cyclone711

Oct 27, 2007
Minnesota
I work at best buy and I like it just fine tyvm. After working at target for over a year it was like finding the promised land. You have no idea what working at target is like.... although I do hate the people who come into the store who know nothing at all about what they are buying and can barely speak english.

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
I always wanted to work at Best Buy in high school because of the mega discounts...

CTAClone

Addict
Mar 28, 2006
Amerika

Is that sarcasm????

I bought a laptop at Best Buy on a weekend. Happened to go in there a few days later during the week and saw that it was a couple of hundred dollars cheaper. Was really pissed off and got a refund of the amount. I think they up prices in the weekend and lower during the week. Don't know for sure but my one experience seemed like they do that.