Best and Worst Fans

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

NenoFone

Feb 12, 2013
WDM
I've been to several road games over the years and generally was treated well by the home team fans. My best experience as a visitor were at Mizzou and Texas A&M. One time when we were looking for the ISU pre-game party a A&M Cadet actually walked us to the location. Worst experiences were at UNLV, bad stadium, bad fans, and Nebraska. Had a Husker fan come up to me and say "You know you're taking a seat away from a Husker fan by being here?" Not to mention there was one men's room for the entire stadium, consisting of open troughs on the floor. Let's hear your stories.

RonBurgundy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2017
I was shocked at how many douche Memphis fans I ran into at the Liberty Bowl. I mean, wtf, they were rude and crude. Just yelling F State at us for no reason. Not like we are a hated rival or they are the second coming of the Four Horsemen. So happy to shut them up.

CySmurf

Jul 14, 2011
My then 4 year old son and I were at the ISU/Iowa game when the Cyclones broke the long losing streak. We were sitting amongst a bunch of Hawkeye fans so I didn't want to create problems with my son with me. In the 3rd quarter, with the Cyclones pretty much dominating the game, my son stands up on my lap a yells "GO CYCLONES!"
I'm like "oh ****..."
People around me were great. One guy did ask me 'what are you doing to your boy!?' But most of them were ******** at the coaches and players. Not the fans. At least on that day.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
Worst visiting fans I can recall were NDSU.

Visited Stillwater in the mid-2000s for football and they were great to us. Of course, they kicked our asses.

Reactions: SWA4CY

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
I know we rag on them a lot, but personally, the best opposing team fan interactions I’ve ever had were West Virginia fans.

Went to Morgantown for the ass kicking they gave us in basketball. On the way in to the stadium, they were talking about how much they liked our team, how awesome it was to see us take over Kansas City for the Big 12 tournament, etc.

Really good people, in my experience. And actually knowledgeable.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I know we rag on them a lot, but personally, the best opposing team fan interactions I’ve ever had were West Virginia fans.

Went to Morgantown for the ass kicking they gave us in basketball. On the way in to the stadium, they were talking about how much they liked our team, how awesome it was to see us take over Kansas City for the Big 12 tournament, etc.

Really good people, in my experience. And actually knowledgeable.

The hillbillies are great. I know the geographic fit is awful for them, but I like having games in Morgantown that are drive-able from the East Coast. Love me some 'Eers. The very first thing one of them said to me on my first trip to Morgantown when I hopped out of the car, parking for a football game next to their basketball arena, was, "Welcome to Morgantown," where he tried to offer me a beer and a plate for their cookout. It set the tone right for me.

I would not mind living in Morgantown, Charleston, or Huntington long-term whatsoever. Cheap places to live, with nice and humble people, you can quickly get to the East Coast, and West Virginia is some of the most beautiful country to enjoy in the world.

Nebraska fans were actually really nice when we went to Lincoln for band. Minnesota fans were generally nice for the bowl game in Tempe on that trip, as well.

Kansas fans were nice at Phog Allen even when I wore a gold ISU hoodie.

Iowa fans were always awful. Thinking through my bad fan or band experiences with Iowa State, nearly all of them would be in Iowa City or involve a Hawk in Ames.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Been to a LOT of current and ex B12 (and some B1G) towns for games.

Okie State fans were nice but I couldn't get over the cigarette smoke in bars still. Ugh, forgot what that was like.

Texas fans were super cordial when we beat them down there. WV has very cordial tailgating, much like here.

aTm fans are cult like weird/nice.

Mizzou fans are bad. Racism is still thick there.

DrClone

Jun 13, 2009
Last Liberty bowl in Memphis. Was not impressed with the stadium and the Memphis fans at the game at all. However after the game there was a group of 6 of us and we went out for dinner and there was a nice young couple (Memphis fans) sitting next to us at the bar. They were very complimentary to our football team and fans. They even bought all of us a round of drinks. Super nice people.

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
Am I the only one that's never had a bad fan experience or do people exaggerate the petty trash talk?

Been to Iowa, Oklahoma, Texas, Oklahoma State, TCU, Baylor, Akron, Alamo Bowl - WSU, Liberty Bowl - Tulsa, Maui Invitational - Multiple, Cincinnati, Big 12 tourney.

I'm sure I'm missing a couple too. Plus probably a couple dozen for my various pro teams.

What the hell are you guys seeing where they are so bad? Never had anyone spit on me, curse me out, try to fight me, or any of the stuff I constantly hear about.

I am always treated fairly cordially, often invited into tailgates walking around, a good natured ribbing or too and the we go on and cheer our team.

• Optimistic
Reactions: Cy4Lifer

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
Not sure why they get so much hate on here, but WV fans have always been great to me, home or away. I really can’t criticize any current B12 teams to be honest. Even Nebbie fans were pretty decent. Out of my top 5 worst experiences, four of them would be in Iowa City.

• Agree
Reactions: ISUalways

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
Not sure why they get so much hate on here, but WV fans have always been great to me, home or away. I really can’t criticize any current B12 teams to be honest. Even Nebbie fans were pretty decent. Out of my top 5 worst experiences, four of them would be in Iowa City.

Honestly, I think most of the WVU ire comes from the “unprofessional fans” thing from last year. Before that it seemed like a decent relationship, other than the incest jokes.

AttackOfTheClones

Dec 10, 2017
Bushwood, Nebraska
www.youtube.com
I remember taking a charter bus to Dekalb, Ill for the ISU-Northern Illinois game in 2003

NIU was very talented and had RB Michael "The Burner" Turner--future NFL player, and WR PJ Fleck--now coach of the Minnesota Gophers.

It was a cold, breezy crappy September day in a high school-like stadium. NIU had already beat Maryland and Alabama, and were victors over ISU

I remember some of the ISU fans icluding myself getting yelled at in the parking lot from drunk, stupid NIU fans.... making corn jokes, and acting abusive. They were low-rung low lifes....a collection of dumbasses...LOL.

It's Dekalb Illinois, and we're being told to go back to our cornfields?

• Agree
Reactions: SMP05

dexterhawk

Oct 17, 2013
Michigan fans are nice but condescending as F. Lots of Mimosa at their tailgates......

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
I would not mind living in Morgantown, Charleston, or Huntington long-term whatsoever. Cheap places to live, with nice and humble people, you can quickly get to the East Coast, and West Virginia is some of the most beautiful country to enjoy in the world.

Monongalia County is a friendly place, close to DC, yet provincial and a little vacuous.

Maybe you would like it--I found it trying. My experience in Morgantown containing some pretty quirky (annoying) facts of life there. Maybe I missed it but I detected little urban planning from I had seen.

For road de-icer no sand, or salt, but coal dust! A little snow or ice and be prepared to shut down the town, schools, and plenty of accidents. For some reason it's sort of depressing there. Don't know why, maybe its the seams of exposed subbituminous and rainbow colors in rainwater to remind you this coal country...or was.

Cyclone.TV

Sep 3, 2016
I had an Iowa fan try to give me a high five and then said “five in a row”. Plus he was wearing an Iowa shirt. I flipped him off. It was so mean.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Monongalia County is a friendly place, close to DC, yet provincial and a little vacuous.

Maybe you would like it--I found it trying. My experience in Morgantown containing some pretty quirky (annoying) facts of life there. Maybe I missed it but I detected little urban planning from I had seen.

For road de-icer no sand, or salt, but coal dust! A little snow or ice and be prepared to shut down the town, schools, and plenty of accidents. For some reason it's sort of depressing there. Don't know why, maybe its the seams of exposed subbituminous and rainbow colors in rainwater to remind you this coal country...or was.

Not having lived there, I cannot testify for or against the issues of municipal governance, transportation services, and urban planning that you speak upon.

To be fair, though, Iowa used to be coal mining territory. Boone County is peppered with shale piles to this day, even if it was more distantly in the past than in WV...

maxresdefault.jpg

There are probably plenty others out there, perhaps not as extensive as that one, quietly hiding in abandoned rural areas, silent monuments to a bygone industry.

• Informative
Reactions: Cycho1