Bench

Discussion in 'Mens Basketball' started by MilehighClone, Jan 13, 2014.

1. MilehighClone

MilehighClone Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Ratings:
    +91 / 14 / -0
    Only played 7 again tonight. I know the schedule gets a little easier in Feb, bit I'm a tad worried our guys may run out of gas if we can't find some minutes off the bench. Thoughts?

2. kingcy

kingcy Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2006
    Male
    Farm
    Menlo, Iowa
    Ratings:
    +1,162 / 47 / -0
    They are getting the mins to be had off the bench.

3. broncocy5321

broncocy5321 Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Clive
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Agree - need two other players to play 5-8 minutes. No legs under us right now. Glad we don't play until Saturday.

4. cyclone4L

cyclone4L Member

Jun 30, 2013
    Chemical Engineer
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Fred needs to start playing SDW and Edozie more, especially when he sees that our guys are tired, hurt or cold.

5. andymhallman

andymhallman Member

Nov 28, 2012
    Editor
    Fairfield, Iowa
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I have to believe something is going on in practice that leads Fred to believe Edozie and Gibson would be a disaster on the court, because it's becoming harder and harder to understand how those two are getting 0 minutes game after game.

6. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2006
    Engineer
    Denver, CO
    Ratings:
    +4,601 / 170 / -0
    Three questions.

1. Fred played in the NBA 10 years, and they play 82 games with multiple back-to-backs. Do you think he understands how to handle a long season and to know when too much is too much?
    2. Have our last two teams gotten tired in February/March or have they played their best basketball of the year?
    3. How many guys do we have in the Top 10 in minutes played in the B12? Hint: It's less than two.

7. CJ4IOWASTATE

CJ4IOWASTATE Member

Oct 29, 2010
    grimes
    Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    All good points DOC. This team is not that deep. When we get Vaughn and the rest of the crew next year we may be 10 deep. Then it will be a strength. I know that McKay is a beast. Seen it first hand. The potential for next year is sick. Lets keep cheering on this team and things will be good in Cyclone Nation. Monte gets better every game. Matt will get the confidence and be huge very soon. The kid can shoot and shooters need to keep shooting.

8. IAmNotTheMayor

Feb 6, 2013
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I wonder if a contributing factor is that we've been playing from behind a lot. For instance, KU played 9, but 2 of them only played spot minutes when they were holding a lead.

9. bos

bos Legend
    Staff Member

Apr 10, 2006
    Male
    Network and Server Admini
    Ratings:
    +2,185 / 27 / -0
    If anything, the extended play conditions them for the rigors of the B12 schedule and thereafter. I would venture to say that the players dont mind. If they feel they have to have a rest, they communicate so. They are adults.

10. Dingus

Dingus Well-Known Member

May 23, 2013
    WA
    Ratings:
    +197 / 18 / -0
    I'd like SDW to get minutes for his development, but don't think he's needed as far as giving guys rest. A few big minutes, on the other hand, would be nice. Hard to take him out, but Niang always just looks so gassed.

11. CornFedIABoy

CornFedIABoy Member

Jan 8, 2014
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Of course Niang always looks gassed. Between his body type, his play style, and a bit of craftiness on his part he'll always look gassed.

12. IowaStateClones

IowaStateClones Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2009
    Engineer
    Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    The only one here that is out of gas is CPR

13. VeloClone

VeloClone Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2010
    Male
    Brooklyn Park, MN
    Ratings:
    +4,033 / 35 / -0
    This, a thousand times this. How many times do we see him dog down the floor to lull his defender to sleep only to take the pass for a wide open three when he gets down there. Or he'll dog down the floor and then make his defender look foolish when he takes him one on one with three or four totally different post moves on successive possessions.

Objects in mirror are not as tired as they appear.

14. CornFedIABoy

CornFedIABoy Member

Jan 8, 2014
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    One other thing to remember. We're in the middle of a one game in twelve days stretch. CFH knew it was coming and kept his rotations short knowing the rest was coming.

15. bawbie

bawbie Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 17, 2006
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +8,281 / 285 / -0
    We won't play 10, I promise.

People have said the bolded part each of the last 3 years. but it's always a 7, maybe 8, man rotation. That won't change next year. There may be a couple more players getting spot minutes here or there, like Naz last year and SDW this year, but I guarantee you by conference season we'll be running a 7-8 man rotation.

16. VeloClone

VeloClone Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2010
    Male
    Brooklyn Park, MN
    Ratings:
    +4,033 / 35 / -0
    But the point remains the deeper the team can go the more aggressive on defense they can be and the more presses Fred can throw out there without being quite as concerned about foul trouble. The recipe for beating both Iowa State's men and women has been to play very aggressively because they aren't going to call them all and you will take ISU out of their game. It would also be nice for our defenders to be able to go for the hard foul once in a while rather than giving up layups and dunks even if it is only to make them hear footsteps once in a while. With shaky depth they have gone out of their way to avoid the fouls at the expense of a lot of points and the momentum that goes with them.

17. Dryburn

Dryburn Well-Known Member

Apr 3, 2006
    Male
    Somewhere in the U.S.
    Ratings:
    +401 / 4 / -0
    I think part of it may be the Saturday/travel/Monday game thing too. Granted, Kansas had a similar schedule, but they do play a little deeper bench, even if only for a few minutes. Plus, the game before ISU was a 26 point blow-out for them. Most of their starters only played about 25 minutes in that one. They also had a shorter road trip. I would guess that their players had to be more rested in terms of physical strength.

When a team shoots poorly, that can be a sign of fatigue, especially in the legs. The way ISU shot that game, I think a lot of it was that they were tired. No one will admit that though.

I really think CFH has got to utilize Gibson, SDW, and Edozie more. 5-10 minutes a game minimum for each. If he doesn't, I think we are going to see more of this, and by the end of the season it will not be fun to watch.

I don't think the rest of the season is any easier. Plus, there are 4 more "short-turnaround" games that don't follow the normal Saturday/Wednesday schedule:

*February 3rd ISU @ Okie State. Before that....Feb. 1 ISU plays OU at home. OSU plays Baylor at home
    *February 10th ISU @ WVU. Before that...Feb. 8 ISU plays TCU at home. WVU plays at Kansas.
    *February 18th ISU plays Texas in Ames. Before that... Feb. 15 ISU plays TTU in Ames. On Feb. 13, Texas plays WVU in Austin, so an additional 2 days of rest and prep for Texas
    *March 4th ISU @ Baylor Before that....March 1 ISU@ K-State, Baylor versus Texas Tech in Waco.

I would say only the February 10th game favors ISU, or is at least an equivalent situation for ISU and their opponent.

18. Dingus

Dingus Well-Known Member

May 23, 2013
    WA
    Ratings:
    +197 / 18 / -0
    I'm guessing it'll be 8, which I like:

Morris, Thomas, Long
    Nader, Hogue, Niang, McKay

is a 7 man rotation. One of Custer, SDW, and/or perhaps a certain FR recruit would push it to ~8 nicely. 4 guards, 4 bigs. This of course assumes no immediately eligible transfer.

19. TexasAlamo

TexasAlamo Member

Jan 14, 2014
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Hoiberg needs to find a way to get Dorsey-Walker, Gibson and Edozie some minutes. You can't go through a tough Big XII schedule playing only 7 guys. It not only doesn't work, but it kills your future development. I can't see Dorsey-Walker sticking around after this year if he can't even be given a few minutes per game given that it is possible other players will be coming in next year as well.