Ben Brust

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008
I'll take $200 and the over.

Really? That is a pretty bold statement considering the talent they have coming back. In all reality I do feel bad for hawk fans. I don't ever cheer for them but it would not be fun to go into the season just hoping to slip past a few of the creampuffs on your non-conference schedule. If Indiana improves at all they could legitimately grab 0 conference wins.

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008
No. They were terrible.

I respect Tom Crean tremendously for the way he went about clearing out Kelvin Sampson's mess. He didn't put up with anything, and accepted the consequences of a terrible team.

Of course, I don't think they'll stay terrible.

No they won't. Indiana will be back cause they have a great coach with a proven track record. I will not forget when his team knocked off Kentucky in the NCAA Tourney with D-Wade. Probably one of the best NCAA Tourney games I have ever watched.

TarHeelHawk

Oct 22, 2008
W. Des Moines
I guess that you would disagree with the likes of Johnny Orr, then.

I've never been pregnant, either, but I understand that it's a painful process.

What, exactly, does "Seeing Brust play" have to do with anything? Did you see World War II, or do you take people's word for it?

Not necessarily, but if Orr said that, it doesn't automatically mean he's right. It helps, but it isn't everything.

Lickliter didn't win National Coach of the Year because of all the amazing talent on his squad, and Thad Matta was still pounding out wins at Xavier with considerably less talent than he has to work with now at Ohio State.

I would prefer to think that good coaching has more to do with a teams success than the talent on said team. If you have both, you're golden.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Really? That is a pretty bold statement considering the talent they have coming back. In all reality I do feel bad for hawk fans. I don't ever cheer for them but it would not be fun to go into the season just hoping to slip past a few of the creampuffs on your non-conference schedule. If Indiana improves at all they could legitimately grab 0 conference wins.

Yes, if anybody wants to take me up on it I'd be glad to follow through.

The last time I felt bad for a Hawk fan was when Chris Streer died. Other than that, ***** them.

DodgerHawki

Apr 1, 2009
I think they will stink.

If they still only have 7 players dressed out (and I don't know how their fall looks), and we are as athletic as we hope to be, then I hope that we run them hard, right up until they are gassed, grabbing their shorts, and run some more. No mercy. Run them until they puke, and then run some more.

That's just me. No way they have depth for running if they have 7 players. Make that weakness count against them.

And I will go back and root for them after this game. For one night, we need to run them into the ground.

Here's where the roster is at for this year:
Returning players
Cole
Brommer
Fuller
Gatens
Tucker
Bawinkel

New guys
Eric May
Brennan Cougill
Cully Payne
Devon Archie

There's also Lickliter's son, who is a walk-on. But yes, would be shocked if the game is within 10 points in Ames this year. If Iowa does not have any injuries they MAY not be as terrible as 1-2 wins in Big 10 play, but they will not be good.

Reactions: CycloneErik

trevn

LIV Tour DJ
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Eastern Iowa
I don't know much about this Brust kid, but a lot of my Hawk friends are pretty excited about him. The only thing I've seen is a youtube highlight video. He was sort of impressive in that, but it obviously doesn't show all of his skills or any of his weaknesses. He's got a good shot and seems like he is always looking for the 3. I don't know how many fastbreak 3's he hit in that video, but it was a lot.

Like someone else said earlier in the thread, Brust seems like a nice role player. I don't think many logical Hawk fans are pinning all of their hopes for the 2010-11 season on Brust. The Hawks still need to find their version of Craig Brackins and start to build around him. Surround a superstar with a bunch of high basketball IQ guys that can shoot lights out and you have yourself a fun team to watch.

Last edited:

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Here's where the roster is at for this year:
Returning players
Cole
Brommer
Fuller
Gatens
Tucker
Bawinkel

New guys
Eric May
Brennan Cougill
Cully Payne
Devon Archie

There's also Lickliter's son, who is a walk-on. But yes, would be shocked if the game is within 10 points in Ames this year. If Iowa does not have any injuries they MAY not be as terrible as 1-2 wins in Big 10 play, but they will not be good.

Honestly, I prefer it when Iowa basketball is good. I really like the rivalry game to be an excellent one. Blowouts are fun and all (well, last year's really wasn't that fun after halftime), but beating the rival in a hard-fought close game is more fun.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
Honestly, I prefer it when Iowa basketball is good. I really like the rivalry game to be an excellent one. Blowouts are fun and all (well, last year's really wasn't that fun after halftime), but beating the rival in a hard-fought close game is more fun.

Agreed, particularly in basketball - it doesn't do either school any good for the other one to be horrid.

Plus, I kinda like Lickliter to this point. His game's not flashy, but I don't think that's such a bad thing. And he has the stones to discipline his players and keep things in line.

Hopefully they get better. (but not at our expense :wink:)

GaryJohnson

Sep 11, 2008
Chicago
Had anyone here heard of Jermain Davis when he was recruited/signed/etc? What was he ranked?

Anyway, just curious...

cgwarrior33

Mar 27, 2006
Norwalk, Iowa
Agreed, particularly in basketball - it doesn't do either school any good for the other one to be horrid.

Plus, I kinda like Lickliter to this point. His game's not flashy, but I don't think that's such a bad thing. And he has the stones to discipline his players and keep things in line.

Hopefully they get better. (but not at our expense :wink:)

There is a difference between being patient and with slowing the game down, making it ugly, and keeping it close. Lick's teams, at Iowa, have tried to make it ugly, hold the ball, shorten the game. Thats fine, if thats his game plan, but I hope it doesn't continue. There is a difference between a defensive struggle and playing keep away to keep it close. Iowa was in a lot of games, people still didn't show up to Carver.

I am all for tough, physical, defensive battles. You find out a lot about the coaches and the players in those games. There were times I would watch Iowa games last year and they would have opportunities to score early in the shot clock and they would pass them up, regularly, and then settle for something contested as the shot clock wound down.

I guess, my thought is, in order to attract talent to a BCS conference school...no matter the tradition...the system must be fun to play in. The kids he has currently on the roster are not kids who will give you a chance to make a run in the Big 10 and get yourself to the post-season, atleast what I have seen. Gatens is a very good player, but he doesn't have a complementing scorer to go with him.

My opinion is of a philosophy difference, in recruiting and system. Some of these kids are very good role players, but you need the horses to go with them. Cougill and May are both going to get baptized in the fire before they are ready. Some of the pieces are there, but I'm not convinced yet that he is getting the other pieces or just getting the same pieces.

cyismydog

Apr 13, 2006
Nobody would ever call the guys that Bo Ryan gets to come to Wisconsin "top talent."

You don't necessarily have to have top talent to win.
I would...
Stars:
2003:
2004:
2005:
2006:
2007:
2008:
2009:
At least one 4-star in every class but one is pretty dang good.

Clones85'

Just Win Baby
Jan 31, 2007
I would...
Stars:
2003:
2004:
2005:
2006:
2007:
2008:
2009:
At least one 4-star in every class but one is pretty dang good.

Agreed. The "Bo Ryan wins with less talent," comments are incorrect. Maybe less talent than Michigan State has had at times but it is very good talent none the less

ICCYFAN

Sep 6, 2006
Iowa City
Not meant as a perfect analogy since the AAU circuit and recruiting services have come a long way since the early 1980's, but I was at ISU when a scrawny shooting guard from suburban Chicago walked-on after leaving his first college choice, a non-scholarship Ivy League school. Just because he wasn't highly sought after by the major players doesn't mean he won't be a major player...

Clones85'

Just Win Baby
Jan 31, 2007
Not meant as a perfect analogy since the AAU circuit and recruiting services have come a long way since the early 1980's, but I was at ISU when a scrawny shooting guard from suburban Chicago walked-on after leaving his first college choice, a non-scholarship Ivy League school. Just because he wasn't highly sought after by the major players doesn't mean he won't be a major player...

True. Hornaceck and Wesley Johnson are good example. Of course they are slightly different. Hornaceck b/c of the reason you mentioned above and Wesley b/c his school didn't have basketball.

Brust could end up being a solid recruit. He has had plenty of time to get evaluated though and I think that is why some doubt whether he will be a big time recruit...due to his lack of offers

Clones85'

Just Win Baby
Jan 31, 2007
That part really isn't true.

I know he missed time with a broken ankle but wasn't it only 6 weeks? And during just 1/2 his high school season? Most college coaches see kids during AAU ball anyway

Clones85'

Just Win Baby
Jan 31, 2007
Careful, heaps of Cyclone fans were saying that's why Diante was under recruited since he broke his collarbone and was out for a while in high school.

Not me. And I'm not making any excuses for Brust. I was saying that was some people's logic in why they don't like the sign.

FYI DG was a top 150 recruit so it wasn't like he was an unknown