Ben Bruns KU Game Recap on Iowa Everywhere

IowaState88

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 9, 2022
Issues on offense right now...

Tight Ends - Like Bruns said, there is little to no production at this spot and there hasn't been all season. No true threats in the passing game and they are not good blockers. With Dean now hindered by a hamstring we may see some opportunity for younger guys to step up, hopefully they can help or improve.

RBs (Without Brock and Norton) - I get Silas and Sanders are solid 3rd and 4th string guys, but they are not at the level of starting RBs in the B12. That was evident this past week. They are fun situationally and as a change of pace but we are going to struggle to run the ball with them as our two backs. Really wish Brock and Norton hadn't gone down to injury so soon.

OLine Continuity - With a now healthy line, a staring five needs to be identified, trusted and deployed moving forward. Shuffling guys in and out does little for continuity and communication in-game. TBH I think this line has been a little better than what they have perceived as thus far, but they have gotten literally zero help from the TEs in blocking - making the OL look worse. Brock is an exceptional pass blocker and Norton is solid too. Sanders and Silas again just aren't at that level yet and that is another reason as to why the pass blocking as a whole was poor last game.

WRs - Group has been OK so far. Obviously Hutch is an All B12 player and I have enjoyed seeing Noel and Stanley continue to step up. Just need some consistency with them and - if healthy - we should be decent there going forward.

QB - Hunter is growing up and with a young QB who has a lot of faith in his own arm INTs will happen. That's football. Kinda like Josh Allen in his first couple season in the NFL. Fans need to realize that is what comes with "throwing the ball down the field" and "opening the offense up" INTs and errant throws happen. So be it. He has plenty of talent and will continue to improve. I would like to see him throw from a more stable base at times though. He often slides his feet/lower body out from under him while making throws causing for some inaccuracy - but this is fixable.

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
So looking at Oklahoma’s offensive numbers under Riley (both OC/HC) when Campbell has been here.

In those seven years Oklahoma’s offense has averaged 42.3 points per game in the conference. In the matchup against Iowa State those numbers have dropped to 32.7 points per game. Basically the idea that offenses have a more difficult time scoring against teams isn’t just an Iowa State issue.

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
I am a number-based guy so I would be happy to dig into those numbers as well. And I’m not a coaching apologist, I think my history on Prohm (well before you) indicates I don’t apologize for coaches that don’t form an identity and turn a program into a dumpster.

From 2019-2021 We averaged the following in conference games:

2019–434 yards and 32 points a game
2020-455 yards and 35 points a game
2021-454 yards and 35 points a game.

That is 9 games in 2019, 10 in 2020 and 9 in 2021.

In those years had over 400 yards of offense in the following games:

2019: 7/9
2020: 8/10
2021: 7/9

In those years we scored 29 points or more in the following games:
2019: 5/9
2020: 7/10

Only in a single conference game from 2019-2021 did we fail to score 21 points. (Kansas State in 2019)

We are gaining over 400 yards in 79% of our conference games. We are scoring over 29 points in 68% of our games. We fail to hit 21 points in 3.5% of our games. I understand your frustration in scoring points in the red zone but given the number of plays we have on offense these are damn good offenses.
Ok, actually had time to read this over well. Those are actually some surprising numbers, I will say that. I will say that we usually have no problem throttling teams we're clearly better than. West Virginia, TCU, Tech, and Kansas have been teams we've beaten up on a lot under Campbell. The frustrating part is that we've seen that we can absolutely do it. Oklahoma(recently, not the ******* defense OUs), Oklahoma State, Baylor, and some Texas teams seem to have the winning formula against our offense though.

I think overall both our numbers tell a decent part of the story for why we are where we are. The best teams can counter us and we either don't adjust or have to mad scramble in the 4th to bring it back around. The teams we're better than we usually beat up on, except for some reason last year we didn't with Tech and WVU. We wouldn't be 7-5 constantly if we were Brian Ferentz levels, and I should probably use less hyperbole going forward so that's more clear to he point. We're just not able to do it at a high enough level to beat the best of the conference though, and I think that's why people get bothered. We can beat up on P5 competition and then look completely lost when OSU and Baylor comes to town or when we go to a bowl against a non Oregon team.

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
Ok, actually had time to read this over well. Those are actually some surprising numbers, I will say that. I will say that we usually have no problem throttling teams we're clearly better than. West Virginia, TCU, Tech, and Kansas have been teams we've beaten up on a lot under Campbell. The frustrating part is that we've seen that we can absolutely do it. Oklahoma(recently, not the ******* defense OUs), Oklahoma State, Baylor, and some Texas teams seem to have the winning formula against our offense though.

I think overall both our numbers tell a decent part of the story for why we are where we are. The best teams can counter us and we either don't adjust or have to mad scramble in the 4th to bring it back around. The teams we're better than we usually beat up on, except for some reason last year we didn't with Tech and WVU. We wouldn't be 7-5 constantly if we were Brian Ferentz levels, and I should probably use less hyperbole going forward so that's more clear to he point. We're just not able to do it at a high enough level to beat the best of the conference though, and I think that's why people get bothered. We can beat up on P5 competition and then look completely lost when OSU and Baylor comes to town or when we go to a bowl against a non Oregon team.

I think that fair. But I would argue that our offense was fine against Oregon and Washington State. The physicality of Notre Dame and Clemson is a different level and our offense (albeit without Breece against Clemson) was not up for the task.

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
To add to what I just had, I think the slow starts on that side of the ball for sure does not help Manning or the offense. When you come out and can't score against Baylor for example, and then struggle to do it again in the first half of the next game against, like Kansas State or someone, it feels a lot worse even if we make it up and put up normal numbers by the end of it.

IDK what to do about that and slow starts, both in the season and games, seems to be an issue all across the team at times, even with the defense last year who has been spot on most of the time. I guess the exception is special teams who starts slow and never speeds up

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
I think that fair. But I would argue that our offense was fine against Oregon and Washington State. The physicality of Notre Dame and Clemson is a different level and our offense (albeit without Breece against Clemson) was not up for the task.
Washington State wasn't a part of the numbers because I went back to when Manning rejoined the team. Wazzu was the last game before that happened. I wasn't able to watch that game, was traveling late at night, but it seemed like that was a game where we played well and just got beat by a good team. Aint gonna complain about that.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Washington State wasn't a part of the numbers because I went back to when Manning rejoined the team. Wazzu was the last game before that happened. I wasn't able to watch that game, was traveling late at night, but it seemed like that was a game where we played well and just got beat by a good team. Aint gonna complain about that.

The Wazzu loss included many of the same themes of other losses. Badly timed turnovers, penalties, etc.

Was overall a pretty decent game though.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
This coaching staff seems to be really excellent at coaching the individual as evidenced by our performance vs. recruiting metrics. What I believe this staff isn't great at is game day. Attention to detail: Penalties, Special Teams, clock management, play calling. Defining your offensive strategy? We seem to just try and be multiple and take what the defense gives us but don't have a reliable strength when we need to win in the margins.

I will agree that losing two senior classes is going to be difficult but we also weren't the only team who went through Covid and many of these trends continue from early in Matt's tenure. Most notably the offensive line has been pretty sub par for most of Matt's time here and it's concerning. They don't really use scheme to give us advantages and if we are trying they're doing a terrible job of it. Look at the players we have in the league right now. Now imagine if they had future pro lineman blocking for them.

My biggest gripe with Manning is that he has little creativity after his scripted series and seems to always try and make changes after we use motion to show defense. This seems to give us an annoying amount of delay of game issues, especially that one after a kick off ...grumble. If we want to control the LOS and run the ball then do it. We seem to try and out think things and end up making it harder on ourselves, such as running out of shot gun on 4th and 1.

I love having Campbell but he's starting to show the same weaknesses repeatedly and I'm not sure if there is going to be much change without the coaching staff having a shake up. Even more problematic is other teams are starting to figure out collectively what works against us and with our injuries and TE situation, going to be a rough ride unless the line can start run blocking.

Reactions: Carlisle Clone

Texbudman

Nov 20, 2012
Arlington,Tx
I suppose that makes sense in the passing game. My complaint is just the utter lack of creativeness in adjusting in-game. We can't pass deep, and without Brock we can't run our traditional run plays. So why not adjust? Dekkers is a big body who can run. I remember Campbell's last year at Toledo (when they beat us) he basically ran a spread-power run-offense with plenty of built in QB runs and read options. With Purdy and now Dekkers that is non-existent. Cant throw deep and cant run up the middle? Take a page from KU's own playbook. Put Silas and Sanders both in the backfield, Rus at the H, and run a pistol triple option, run play action off of that. I mean just try *something*.
I suppose that makes sense in the passing game. My complaint is just the utter lack of creativeness in adjusting in-game. We can't pass deep, and without Brock we can't run our traditional run plays. So why not adjust? Dekkers is a big body who can run. I remember Campbell's last year at Toledo (when they beat us) he basically ran a spread-power run-offense with plenty of built in QB runs and read options. With Purdy and now Dekkers that is non-existent. Cant throw deep and cant run up the middle? Take a page from KU's own playbook. Put Silas and Sanders both in the backfield, Rus at the H, and run a pistol triple option, run play action off of that. I mean just try *something*.
Dekkers can’t run that’s a big part of the problem

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
My father was a coach for years and he made an observation that Dekkers doesn't move well laterally. I also think he runs too tall which is part of that problem. He has decent straight line speed but he doesn't have the ability to change direction like Purdy did for example.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
My father was a coach for years and he made an observation that Dekkers doesn't move well laterally. I also think he runs too tall which is part of that problem. He has decent straight line speed but he doesn't have the ability to change direction like Purdy did for example.

When the pocket collapses I'd like to see if he can tuck it and head up field for at least a small gain.

Reactions: legi

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Which is weird, because it didn't seem like a probably last season in his few games in
Because hunter would go up in the pocket and then go straight up field when he ran, also what he did in HS. Purdy would spin out, so teams were making sure the ends were contained and the holes were in the middle. The others teams are now holding their gaps more and giving the deep roles that Purdy did.

Reactions: Cfinnerty16

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
When the pocket collapses I'd like to see if he can tuck it and head up field for at least a small gain.
The lanes have been there. When I was at the SEMO game I was screaming to run it at least three or four times. I wonder if he wants the big play so stays in for that last second throw? His reads on RPO haven't been stellar either. He's a strong passer with limited experience so he's making mistakes.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
Honest question, I’m not huge into like popular movies or stuff like that- I’ve noticed Woody loves to use analogies in his pods. Should I be able to figure out what he means when he says Deion Silas reminds him of Nick Cannon in Drumline? I had no clue what he was referring to. I also struggle to understand when he equates ISU football things to ISU basketball things. But he does that a lot.
In Drumline, Cannon plays an extremely talented marching band drummer who cannot read sheet music. He just has natural ability to play and can learn/memorize songs and patterns strictly by hearing them. His inability to read music holds his overall skill back.

I'm guessing Bruns meant Silas is a guy who has the tools to be great, but doesn't quite understand the full scope of it all yet.

Steve

Apr 11, 2006
The question might be can't run vs being encouraged not to run. Might not have enough data points to answer. What is known is that the backup, if he gets injured, is either a walk-on or a true freshman.

IowaState88

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 9, 2022
Any reason as to why Malik Verdon didn’t play? Injury again or something else? Thought he was solid vs Baylor.

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
I am a number-based guy so I would be happy to dig into those numbers as well. And I’m not a coaching apologist, I think my history on Prohm (well before you) indicates I don’t apologize for coaches that don’t form an identity and turn a program into a dumpster.

From 2019-2021 We averaged the following in conference games:

2019–434 yards and 32 points a game
2020-455 yards and 35 points a game
2021-454 yards and 35 points a game.

That is 9 games in 2019, 10 in 2020 and 9 in 2021.

In those years had over 400 yards of offense in the following games:

2019: 7/9
2020: 8/10

In those years we scored 29 points or more in the following games:
2019: 5/9
2020: 7/10

Only in a single conference game from 2019-2021 did we fail to score 21 points. (Kansas State in 2019)

We are gaining over 400 yards in 79% of our conference games. We are scoring over 29 points in 68% of our games. We fail to hit 21 points in 3.5% of our games. I understand your frustration in scoring points in the red zone but given the number of plays we have on offense these are damn good offenses.
we played 3 or 4 teams in 2020 that packed it in (covid year). IMO, you can put an asterisk next to that. Plus, in a big non conference game, UL was ranked that year, our offense SUCKED in the second half. In 2019 ULM padded the stats to an extreme level. With that said, not sure if I'm ready to bring out the pitchforks, but there are games where Manning can't figure the other team out or if he does it's to little to late. I want to wait and see what this offense looks like with a one two punch of Brock and Norton. I believe the combo of both would really really wear a defense down and open things up down field.

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
The Wazzu loss included many of the same themes of other losses. Badly timed turnovers, penalties, etc.

Was overall a pretty decent game though.
7 false starts. Cut it to 4, we win the game. But 4 is way to many, LOL.
Did we have a delay of game out of a tv time out on Saturday?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron