Belmont to the MVC

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Belmont has been consistently Top 100-125 NET with only getting 2 or 3 league games in the Top 200. Now they probably won't play more than 2 or 3 league games with teams outside the Top 200. So they can both afford to actually lose a game or two and have way more Quad 1/2 games. Same with Murray most years. The OVC is the 24th ranked NET league and that's with all of the schools that are leaving en masse.

The AAC losing Houston and Cincinnati is a big loss and will hurt their numbers. The AAC was 7th in NET.

The A10 was 9th in NET last year, the Valley was 10th and the MW was 12th. The Valley doesn't get the media exposure that it deserves because of geography but it's a damn good league. The WCC was 8th but that was all on the backs of BYU who's gone and Gonzaga.

Thanks for coming to my TED talk ;)

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
Valley has done well for itself but it is either at the bottom of the AAC/MWC/A-10 tier or at the top of the next tier.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
I'm glad to see the Missouri Valley rebound after taking quite the beating it has lately with the departures of both Creighton and Wichita State. It really was a great league back then. If they can add both Belmont and Murray St, I'm hopeful they may return to near those levels.

Reactions: 1UNI2ISU

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I'm glad to see the Missouri Valley rebound after taking quite the beating it has lately with the departures of both Creighton and Wichita State. It really was a great league back then. If they can add both Belmont and Murray St, I'm hopeful they may return to near those levels.
With Belmont and Murray, there will absolutely be some years where the MVC will not be viewed as a one bid league.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Sigh...

Don't make me agree with him...

However, Drake, UNI and Loyola all have non-conference schedules that are good enough to get an at large if they can win some games. Missouri State has that level of a team but they didn't schedule well enough to get an AL unless they do what Drake did last year and run the table with a weak schedule. The key is those 4 separating themselves from the bottom 6.

I'd darn near put a lock on getting two bids and probably go 25% chance that there's a 3rd.

• Informative
Reactions: JP4CY

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Sigh...

Don't make me agree with him...

However, Drake, UNI and Loyola all have non-conference schedules that are good enough to get an at large if they can win some games. Missouri State has that level of a team but they didn't schedule well enough to get an AL unless they do what Drake did last year and run the table with a weak schedule. The key is those 4 separating themselves from the bottom 6.

I'd darn near put a lock on getting two bids and probably go 25% chance that there's a 3rd.
Has the MVC had 3 bids since Wichita or Creighton left?

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Has the MVC had 3 bids since Wichita or Creighton left?

Not since they were both gone.

In 2015 they came really close. UNI and Wichita both got in and Illinois State was a one seed in the NIT.

No disagreements from me that those two leaving was a blow and choosing Valpo when Wichita left was a massive mistake. They seem to have rectified that now. I'm excited for the future of the league for the first time in a while.

Until Jake leaves after this year and I just sink into a prolonged depression....

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Are there rumblings of that?

Yeah. He would have taken Minnesota this year if Minnesota could've gotten the money right. They ended up paying Ben Johnson less than half of what it would have taken to get Jake plus Jake's oldest is a senior this year and is Cedar Falls' starting quarterback so the timing wasn't great.

He's incredibly frustrated by our administration right now and I've heard that the relationship probably isn't salvageable. Jake with resources and the money to hire a big time recruiter is going to be very, very good for a P6 out there.

Iowa State sent us a lemon of an AD that we'd like you to take back, please.

• Informative
Reactions: JP4CY

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Yeah. He would have taken Minnesota this year if Minnesota could've gotten the money right. They ended up paying Ben Johnson less than half of what it would have taken to get Jake plus Jake's oldest is a senior this year and is Cedar Falls' starting quarterback so the timing wasn't great.

He's incredibly frustrated by our administration right now and I've heard that the relationship probably isn't salvageable. Jake with resources and the money to hire a big time recruiter is going to be very, very good for a P6 out there.

Iowa State sent us a lemon of an AD that we'd like you to take back, please.
Jake never struck me as a big city guy but if he's ready to move in it seems like a lot of regional jobs have been taken.

• Agree
Reactions: 1UNI2ISU

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron