Beer trade drama

AustinHawk

Dec 10, 2009
I just got back to my desk to find a shipment from Virginia. I've never experienced loss or damage using UPS, though I did switch to FedEx due to the convenience shipping to and from work.

Maybe it's just UPS in Austin then. Somebody had a great party one night with the "lost" shipment since it had a few Jester King's in it.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I've had to slow down my beer trading, as TG requests were getting out of hand and while I'm getting great beer in return, it's tough to keep up.

I think the biggest risk you would run, legally, is if you were shipping it to a minor, but how many underage kids are into trading for craft beer? Beer traders aren't being prosecuted for the actually trading of the beer.

mcblogerson

Jan 19, 2009
Ohio
I've never had any TG beers as I live out of state, but I'll be back around the holidays visiting family. Is for sale at grocery stores or is it hard to find? Do I have to visit some liquor store in Dsm and whisper a password so I can see whats in the back room kind of booze.

Also some old high schools friends have been raving about some brewery in Knoxville. They're mostly uncultured rubes that think wine is gay and Ipas are from India but have any of you been there?

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I've never had any TG beers as I live out of state, but I'll be back around the holidays visiting family. Is for sale at grocery stores or is it hard to find? Do I have to visit some liquor store in Dsm and whisper a password so I can see whats in the back room kind of booze.

Also some old high schools friends have been raving about some brewery in Knoxville. They're mostly uncultured rubes that think wine is gay and IPA'ss are from India but have any of you been there?

You're unlikely to find the good TG at any of the stores. The are about 6 or 7 places that get it in DSM and it usually goes pretty fast. They have been upping the numbers but they haven't been around the metro for a few weeks. Maybe if you're lucky they will deliver in the next week or so. You can always find TG Dorthy at one of these stores but it's just average IMO.

As far as Knoxville, they are talking about Peace Tree. They are an average brewery. Nothing special as far as IPA's. Decent place to go and drink if you're in Knoxville though. I just wouldn't take any home. My wife loves Blonde Fatale, which is pretty good if you like that type of beer.

I'm sure others will disagree with every thing I say.

If I was in the metro for the first time I would spend a whole day at El Bait Shop and forget everything else.

Reactions: mcblogerson

AustinHawk

Dec 10, 2009
Yeah, that would be Peace Tree. Blonde Fatale won a gold medal recently at the World Beer Cup.

I can find TG's Golden Nugget and Dorothy in Iowa City, but Sue and anything else sells out pretty quick.

And yeah, take cab to El Bait Shop, order many flights, take cab home.

RubyClone

Mar 21, 2014
You're unlikely to find the good TG at any of the stores. The are about 6 or 7 places that get it in DSM and it usually goes pretty fast. They have been upping the numbers but they haven't been around the metro for a few weeks. Maybe if you're lucky they will deliver in the next week or so. You can always find TG Dorthy at one of these stores but it's just average IMO.

As far as Knoxville, they are talking about Peace Tree. They are an average brewery. Nothing special as far as IPA's. Decent place to go and drink if you're in Knoxville though. I just wouldn't take any home. My wife loves Blonde Fatale, which is pretty good if you like that type of beer.

I'm sure others will disagree with every thing I say.

If I was in the metro for the first time I would spend a whole day at El Bait Shop and forget everything else.

I disagree with everything you just said.

Actually - I don't, except that I think Peace Tree is better than you give it credit for. I'm actually a bit surprised you don't think higher of it. But I'll admit - I don't get the hype over TG. I do actually like the HopSutra quite a bit. The Wrangler is good - not great.

If it were actually in DSM - I'd say it's well worth the stop. But plenty of places have their beers on tap and it's pretty common in most stores. They do have quite the variety in the tap room however. We were there the week before last on the way back from Albia brewing. Now there's a place to keep driving by ....

bufante

Nov 27, 2006
DMI
I've used USPS, UPS, and FedEx to trade. I like UPS for small trades and I use the flat rate boxes. FedEx by far is the best. Print the shipping label at home and drop it off without having to answer any questions.

Is it against the law to ship beer? Yes through USPS. They won't prosecute, they just might snag your stash. FedEx and UPS it's against their regulations...they have returned it in the past. Some businesses get a permit to ship, that is how beer/wine of the month clubs get around it.

The real secret is packing it! Use baggies, tape lids etc...google will show you how to ship beer.

Trading can be expensive, but so is any other hobby. If it wasn't for TG, no one would really want to trade with people in Iowa. I've found that TG can stand up to any beer in the country at this point.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron