BEDS Rankings for 23-24

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Not a political statement, just basic fact. Vouchers are to pay for privates. I’m not aware of privates within the areas you describe, so it has no impact for situations like that.

There are a lot of these rural situations where there probably isn’t a direct school policy to fix it. Much of rural Iowa is aging and shrinking, and the schools are getting small, and the areas they serve are getting large.

There are exceptions but even in towns where the population has held up OK the schools shrink because old people stay and young people leave and start families elsewhere.
Aside from the fact that the publics in those areas will now have even less resources/funding because of the massive dollars being funneled to privates in areas that aren't anywhere close. At least I think that's how it works.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Aside from the fact that the publics in those areas will now have even less resources/funding because of the massive dollars being funneled to privates in areas that aren't anywhere close. At least I think that's how it works.
Yes, I really should’ve said no positive impact, as in it doesn’t help those kids out.

• Agree
Reactions: Gonzo

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
I think the second part holds the most truth. Families can live on an acreage but still send kids to school in the larger community where parents go to work every day.

I grew up in an area like this, and the population has certainly grown in the 25 years since I've left, but class sizes remain constantly stuck around 30 to 40 students per class.
A couple of my Coworkers live out on a Farm near Grundy Center but all 3 of their kids go to school in Cedar Falls because that's where they work and it's easier for them.
Seems there may be more athletic opportunities in a smaller school. Some of these big schools now you have to have been playing a sport from the age of 6 to play. Not a lot of opportunity to start playing in high school. So I guess if you really want to participate in athletics, the small schools give you more opportunities to do so.

But there's also fewer academic opportunities for advanced classes and extra-curricular options at those smaller schools. You'll likely get a fine education in the core subjects, but there isn't the same level of AP or college level classes for those that need them.
That really depends on the school. There are 2 8th graders playing Varsity baseball at Waterloo West this year. The last 3 years the freshman baseball team has been 90% 8th graders. I think there's a lot of opportunities for kids to play sports at the bigger urban schools in the state. Playing for a school in the burbs is a different story all together though.

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneDaddy

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
BE
I think BEDS is only three grades’ enrollment, not total 9-12 enrollment.
BEDS count is only grades 9th, 10th, and 11th, they do not count the seniors because those students will not be attending the school for the next school year. The state years ago used to allow what they called phantom students, in the count, which counted students enrolled the past year, but not currently, ensuring extra money coming into the district, but that rule was thrown out 15 years ago or so.

Last edited:

JD720

Jan 3, 2009
But something that gets overlooked is family size in the US today? Specifically, small farm communities. When I grew up 50 years ago, a family of 5 kids was not that unusual and I knew more than a few families with 10+ kids. It would be interesting to see actual data, but IMO that is a big reason farm communities have shrunk. It doesn't take a big family to run a farm operation. And instead of those excess kids working in town, there has been an exponential exodus that has been happening since WWII and probably back to depression era.
Farm sizes have increased at the same time too. 50+ years ago those families with 5 kids probably farmed around 250 acres. Now a guy with 3 kids may be farming 1000 acres. These are rough numbers and there are other variables to consider, but in this case a 1000 area plot would have gone from 20 kids to 3.

Last edited:

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Turkey Valley might be the best example of that. That school is in the middle of nowhere but as recently as the mid-70s was a 3A school, now they're barely over 100 kids.

Audubon was 3A runner-up in football in 1977. They've been in 8-man since 2016.

But this is the one that always gets me -- just ONE generation (26 yrs) ago:

1997 Class 2A Football, District 9 (current class in parentheses)
Dallas Center-Grimes (4A)
Ogden (1A)
Waukee (5A)
Prairie Valley > now Southeast Valley (2A)
Audubon (8-man)
I-35 (2A)
Nodaway Valley (1A)
West Central Valley (1A)

Last edited:

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Audubon was 3A runner-up in football in 1977. They've been in 8-man since 2016.

But this is the one that always gets me -- just ONE generation (26 yrs) ago:

1997 Class 2A Football, District 9 (current class in parentheses)
Dallas Center-Grimes (4A)
Ogden (1A)
Waukee (5A)
Prairie Valley > now Southeast Valley (2A)
Audubon (8-man)
I-35 (2A)
Nodaway Valley (1A)
West Central Valley (1A)
Hell, Waukee is TWO 5A schools...

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
A couple of my Coworkers live out on a Farm near Grundy Center but all 3 of their kids go to school in Cedar Falls because that's where they work and it's easier for them.

Interestingly, I think this phenomenon goes both ways. It can hurt smaller schools on the periphery of bigger cities, as kids get moved to bigger schools with more options/opportunities.

But it can also help in "bedroom communities". Think Norwalk, Alburnett, Waukee, CCA that have just blown up - those used to be tiny1A schools not that long ago.

End of the day, parents who care will try to move their kids to the best school they can. In Cedar Rapids, for a long time you wanted to move your kids to Prairie. Then it was Kennedy. Now it's Linn-Mar. Those are perceived as "best" for whatever reason over time. And if none of those work, or you want a smaller school for whatever reason - Alburnett, Solon, Benton Comm are available too.

4cy16

Jun 14, 2021
I understand people will want to turn this political, but this has been happening for 40-plus years. I am from a school that has consolidated four times.
The reality is most of these small towns are dying small rural towns that are 15-20 mins away from a solid 2A/3A district. it's crazy expensive to have a school district have 14 kids per class when there is a town 15 mins away that has the resources and facilities, etc. I know it sucks to lose that tradition and to lose your town's identity, but that's life.

couple of examples schools with 15-25 kids per class:
Orient Macksburg - 15 mins 13 miles form Creston
Paton Churdan - 13 miles from Jefferson
Stanton - 8 miles from red oak (also has clarinda close)
Melcher Dallas - <15 mins (12 miles) from pleasantville - Knoxville is about the same distance.

I may have butchered some of these, but you get the point. I don't see how the voucher system is going to make much of an impact at all. Not saying I agree with the voucher system...

that being said....there is going to be some one offs where the town is literally not close to anything. not sure what to do with those.
Paton-Churdan graduated 12 kids this year. I believe they have some type of arrangement with Greene Co.

4cy16

Jun 14, 2021
My sister graduated from FD in 71 with a class of over 500, last year they graduated an even 200.

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
Interestingly, I think this phenomenon goes both ways. It can hurt smaller schools on the periphery of bigger cities, as kids get moved to bigger schools with more options/opportunities.

But it can also help in "bedroom communities". Think Norwalk, Alburnett, Waukee, CCA that have just blown up - those used to be tiny1A schools not that long ago.

End of the day, parents who care will try to move their kids to the best school they can. In Cedar Rapids, for a long time you wanted to move your kids to Prairie. Then it was Kennedy. Now it's Linn-Mar. Those are perceived as "best" for whatever reason over time. And if none of those work, or you want a smaller school for whatever reason - Alburnett, Solon, Benton Comm are available too.

Linn-Mar is going to be double Washington's size soon. And it wouldn't surprise me to see Prairie open another HS within 10 years. The private voucher program is going to decimate Wash and Jeff.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids

Due to recent moves by the LM schoolboard there has been quite the battle and the next school board election will be interesting as I am sure several MAGA candidates will run. Due to this there have been an increasing number of open enrollers OUT of the district but guess what, they are still at capacity and turning many away from enrolling into the district due to space constraints so they are not shedding a tear at all really.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Due to recent moves by the LM schoolboard there has been quite the battle and the next school board election will be interesting as I am sure several MAGA candidates will run. Due to this there have been an increasing number of open enrollers OUT of the district but guess what, they are still at capacity and turning many away from enrolling into the district due to space constraints so they are not shedding a tear at all really.
So how are those MAGA school board future members going to vote on splitting off and creating another HS? L-M is a lot like Waukee and Ankeny, nothing but room to grow and expand. This year's graduating class was pushing 600. Ridiculous IMO.

Reactions: wxman1

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Linn-Mar is going to be double Washington's size soon. And it wouldn't surprise me to see Prairie open another HS within 10 years. The private voucher program is going to decimate Wash and Jeff.

Wash being landlocked won't help matters either.

I didn't realize Alburnett is growing. Most I've talked to makes it sound like it can't grow until land becomes available. Some folks are going to make a mint on the land surrounding the town.

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
Wash being landlocked won't help matters either.

I didn't realize Alburnett is growing. Most I've talked to makes it sound like it can't grow until land becomes available. Some folks are going to make a mint on the land surrounding the town.
Linn-Mar's size screws Wash over even more because their footprint extends the entire eastern side of Cedar Rapids, eliminating any growth for Wash. All the upper class households out there don't want their kids slumming at Wash, so they let Linn-Mar extend their boundaries to ridiculous lengths. Parts of their district are nearly 8 miles away.

• Agree
Reactions: mramseyISU

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
So how are those MAGA school board future members going to vote on splitting off and creating another HS? L-M is a lot like Waukee and Ankeny, nothing but room to grow and expand. This year's graduating class was pushing 600. Ridiculous IMO.
I'm not familar with Waukee's tax base, but raising funds to build another high school in Marion, I think would be a battle. Marion has such little commercial tax base that the cost to residents would be considerable, even if they sold enough bonds to cover construction.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I'm not familar with Waukee's tax base, but raising funds to build another high school in Marion, I think would be a battle. Marion has such little commercial tax base that the cost to residents would be considerable, even if they sold enough bonds to cover construction.

I would guess Waukee’s commercial tax base has quadrupled over the past 5 years and will probably continue to quadruple every 2.5 years for the next decade.

8bitnes

Nov 21, 2010
BE

BEDS count is only grades 9th, 10th, and 11th, they do not count the seniors because those students will not be attending the school for the next school year. The state years ago used to allow what they called phantom students, in the count, which counted students enrolled the past year, but not currently, ensuring extra money coming into the district, but that rule was thrown out 15 years ago or so.
The BEDS count affects sports, not funding. Certified enrollment, due September 30th, is the number that counts for funding

• Informative
Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

Help Support Us

Become a patron