Becoming a Blue Blood - Article

twocoach

Jan 13, 2014
Omaha
The bottom line is in a very short period of time CH has revolutionized ISU basketball and to the astute observer college basketball. Let the "blue bloods" sit with longing for the days of past glory for they are nearing the end. College basketball has changed - let's appreciate what we have while we have it. Go Clones!

Yeah, Kentucky, Kansas, Carolina and Duke are probably longing for the days of past glory... In the last five years they have only combined for three national titles, five Final Four appearances, ten conference titles and a combined record of 588-150 including a postseason record of 49-15. These days are every bit as good as the good 'ol days.

DesertClone1

DesertClone
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 6, 2009
Queen Creek, AZ
Be careful what you wish for cyclone nation - do you really want to get into the "one and done" game? For years the quintessential ISU player has been a Melvin Ejim or a Georges Niang, now with CH add Royce White and Deandre Kane types to the mix.

Being a blue blood doesn't guarantee anything look at the 2014 NCAA tourney. Duke loses to Mercer in the first round - Jabari Parker #2 pick in the NBA draft. Kansas loses to Stanford in the second round - Andrew Wiggins #1 pick and Joel Embiid #3 pick. North Carolina loses to ISU in second round. Before losing to UCONN in the finals, Kentucky makes it to the finals after miraculous last second shots vs Whichita State, Michigan, and Wisconsin - good for them. Coincidently, if the Hairston (sp?) twins had gone pro Kentucky had a projected 7 players to be drafted with 5 in the first round according to CBS sports.

Embiid Didn't play in the tournament, he would have played in the Sweet 16.
Basketball is still a team game, and despite all the media hype about 5 star recruits, the TEAMS character and toughness still counts. How did ISU come back from all those double digit deficits? How did ISU win the Big 12 tourney against all that talent? How did ISU make it to the sweet 16 without arguably its MVP? Hmm no 5 star recruits how is that possible?

The bottom line is in a very short period of time CH has revolutionized ISU basketball and to the astute observer college basketball. Let the "blue bloods" sit with longing for the days of past glory for they are nearing the end. College basketball has changed - let's appreciate what we have while we have it. Go Clones!

DesertClone1

DesertClone
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 6, 2009
Queen Creek, AZ
Be careful what you wish for cyclone nation - do you really want to get into the "one and done" game? For years the quintessential ISU player has been a Melvin Ejim or a Georges Niang, now with CH add Royce White and Deandre Kane types to the mix.

Being a blue blood doesn't guarantee anything look at the 2014 NCAA tourney. Duke loses to Mercer in the first round - Jabari Parker #2 pick in the NBA draft. Kansas loses to Stanford in the second round - Andrew Wiggins #1 pick and Joel Embiid #3 pick. North Carolina loses to ISU in second round. Before losing to UCONN in the finals, Kentucky makes it to the finals after miraculous last second shots vs Whichita State, Michigan, and Wisconsin - good for them. Coincidently, if the Hairston (sp?) twins had gone pro Kentucky had a projected 7 players to be drafted with 5 in the first round according to CBS sports.

Embiid Didn't play in the tournament, he would have played in the Sweet 16.
Basketball is still a team game, and despite all the media hype about 5 star recruits, the TEAMS character and toughness still counts. How did ISU come back from all those double digit deficits? How did ISU win the Big 12 tourney against all that talent? How did ISU make it to the sweet 16 without arguably its MVP? Hmm no 5 star recruits how is that possible?

Embiid didn't play in the tournament. He would have played in the Sweet 16.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Who cares if we ever get a Blue Chip player in Ames, just as long as we keep winning.

For 3 years in a row we've had a "one and done" player give us blue chip numbers, and that's a blue chipper that works out. I'm more concerned about continuing to improve overall talent, size and depth than getting the one star who can dominate. Royce and Kane could produce with nearly anybody in the NCAA, then we had Ejim grow into it, now Niang grow into it.

It's a safe bet that BDJ outproduces several blue-chippers, outside shot McKay or Nader do.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
I wouldn't ask a person on the street for an informed answer on much of anything. 90% of the people on the street probably don't know who the Governor of the state they live in is.

And the list of "Most Accomplished College Basketball Teams" is different than the list of "Blue Blood College Basketball Teams". It's two totally different topics. I would 100% agree with you that both UCLA and Duke have accomplished more in the sport from a pure title count perspective. That's just not what we're talking about here. That's not my definition of a Blue Blood.

FIFY

It has been noted by several different posters that there is a difference of opinion on the definition of a blue blood. When I said your bias was showing, it was an accurate observation. You are the only one clinging to your definition (one which favors KU). I understand bias. I don't understand your denial of your own bias. You want everyone to believe that you are this logical, unbiased observer...you have yet to prove yourself as such.

Cyclonesince78

Mar 8, 2012
FIFY

It has been noted by several different posters that there is a difference of opinion on the definition of a blue blood. When I said your bias was showing, it was an accurate observation. You are the only one clinging to your definition (one which favors KU). I understand bias. I don't understand your denial of your own bias. You want everyone to believe that you are this logical, unbiased observer...you have yet to prove yourself as such.

Trolls are typically biased. Good post.

twocoach

Jan 13, 2014
Omaha
FIFY

Are you arguing that Kansas should not be included in such a list and I am only doing so because of my bias as a Kansas fan? Has every single person that has listed their opinion of who the blue bloods (were each of which also contained Kansas) also been skewed by some sort of bias for incorrectly putting on their list? Or are you just arguing for the pure exercise of it?

Cyclonesince78

Mar 8, 2012
What trolls do is take a post that was initially asked towards Iowa State fans about the ISU team, turns it into a Kansas thread. For example Tuco has 15 posts on this thread. The next highest poster has 5 posts. Every thread he's a part of he hijacks.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Are you arguing that Kansas should not be included in such a list and I am only doing so because of my bias as a Kansas fan? Has every single person that has listed their opinion of who the blue bloods (were each of which also contained Kansas) also been skewed by some sort of bias for incorrectly putting on their list? Or are you just arguing for the pure exercise of it?

Read through the thread. I'm quite certain you can figure it out for yourself.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
What trolls do is take a post that was initially asked towards Iowa State fans about the ISU team, turns it into a Kansas thread. For example Tuco has 15 posts on this thread. The next highest poster has 5 posts. Every thread he's a part of he hijacks.

Actually, Iowa State "trolls" hijacked the thread multiple times before you could accuse twocoach of. Whoever first started posting about blue blood schools as opposed to recruits (what the thread was originally about) is who hijacked it. Then several others made posts with lists very similar to twocoach's before he did. Then he did and people jumped his *** for it. For **** sake, people, stop being so god damned hypocritical. You can not like the guy if you want, but you all derail each thread ten times more than he does.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Say what you want about uconn but four chips in 16 years is no joke.

4theCYcle

Jul 14, 2013
Urbandale, IA
Iowa State will NEVER and I repeat NEVER be a Blue Blood.
your blue Blood Programs goes as this:
Kentucky
Kansas
Duke
Indiana
Florida
Michigan State
North Carolina

Those are my top Programs. Iowa State will never sniff the greatness those programs have seen.

You can maybe make a case for UCONN and UCLA. Although, UCLA as of late has been slipping as a program.

4theCYcle

Jul 14, 2013
Urbandale, IA
I wouldn't ask a person on the street for an informed answer on much of anything. 90% of the people on the street probably don't know who the Governor of the state they live in is.

And the list of "Most Accomplished College Basketball Teams" is different than the list of "Blue Blood College Basketball Teams". It's two totally different topics. I would 100% agree with you that both UCLA and Duke have accomplished more in the sport from a pure title count perspective. That's just not what we're talking about here. That's not the definition of a Blue Blood.

Which is an absolutely scary thing when one thinks about that. The fact that these people cast a vote for their livelihood and many are so ignorant when it comes to even knowing who their states constituents are. But, not to bring politics into a sports topic.

Both sides can argue until they are blue in the face, no pun :jimlad:. The average person is going to say Kentucky, Duke, UNC, and Kansas...different generations are going to throw different teams into that category based on when they were growing up in each era. UCLA will be thrown in for history, but recent success says they shouldn't be. The 2nd tiered teams could make a case if given another decade or two into the future if they keep winning championships. It just depends on if people go by their own terms or a dictionary definition when compiling their list.

To the initial statement of whether ISU could ever be one, no in agreement with some others who have said. ISU will NEVER be a blueblood, they could be a powerhouse. I hope they become a natural household name and a possible contender year in and year out. This allows for a steady stream of 5 star recruits, but I think saying they will is a bit ridiculous...

4theCYcle

Jul 14, 2013
Urbandale, IA

Ok, let me throw this at ya. What if Fred had those teams or a full roster of those players?? If he coached a team full of 5 stars, think what he could do with them based on what he already does with 3/4 star players?? Any cyclone fan can say that he definitely can develop a player in a years time. He let players like Royce and Kane shine, all while handling their attitudes. So one can assume he handles flawed character just fine...with a few mishaps here and there this past year.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Ok, let me throw this at ya. What if Fred had those teams or a full roster of those players?? If he coached a team full of 5 stars, think what he could do with them based on what he already does with 3/4 star players?? Any cyclone fan can say that he definitely can develop a player in a years time. He let players like Royce and Kane shine, all while handling their attitudes. So one can assume he handles flawed character just fine...with a few mishaps here and there this past year.

what at exactly were his mishaps this past year?

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Actually, Iowa State "trolls" hijacked the thread multiple times before you could accuse twocoach of. Whoever first started posting about blue blood schools as opposed to recruits (what the thread was originally about) is who hijacked it. Then several others made posts with lists very similar to twocoach's before he did. Then he did and people jumped his *** for it. For **** sake, people, stop being so god damned hypocritical. You can not like the guy if you want, but you all derail each thread ten times more than he does.

No that's the natural progression of a thread, not a hijack.

twocoach

Jan 13, 2014
Omaha
Say what you want about uconn but four chips in 16 years is no joke.
No kidding. I have a buddy from Hartford and he let's me know about it ALL the time. Calhoun was an amazing coach and is still deeply involved in the program. Ollie seems to have a good feel for what he's doing and is smart enough to keep Calhoun around and part of the process for as long as he is available.