NFL: Bears Shopping Greg Olsen

ItsCyence

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Sioux City
Bears can get alot out of Olson. Its not as bad as it seems Bear fans.

ban_hammer.jpg

RING4CY

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2010
Ames, IA
Brad Biggs has confirmed:

The Bears have traded tight end Greg Olsen to the Carolina Panthers straight up for a 3rd-round draft pick. No player coming from Carolina as part of trade. Just the draft pick.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
A 3rd round pick is all that Greg Olsen is worth? That's highway robbery he is a proven veteran on a bad offense, and a first rounder. I am shocked that they would give him away like that.

Well, in the Bears defense Greg wasn't worth much more than that. He hasn't been that effective. He certainly wasn't worth a 2nd round pick. We're talking about a guy who averaged about 30 yards per game for his career, coming off his worst year as a pro from a production standpoint. You can chalk that up to the offensive scheme, but Greg hasn't exactly lived up to his draft status, yet.

Greg has a lot of talent, and has the potential to shine if used correctly, but the trade value of a tight end is just not that high. The Bears probably got good market value for him, especially considering that Carolina is likely to have a pretty bad record, this year. I just don't know why they wanted him gone. Certainly, if you're Martz, and you're hurting for weapons as it is, you find a place for a tight end with his potential.

cigaretteman

Nov 8, 2006
Iowa
On Thursday, the Carolina Panthers traded a third-round pick in the 2012 draft to the Bears for Olsen, then agreed to terms with the tight end on a four-year extension worth about $24 million, including $10.5  million guaranteed. The Bears also released Brandon Manumaleuna, whom they signed just last offseason to a three-year, $15 million contract, and signed Matt Spaeth from the Pittsburgh Steelers. Kellen Davis is the only 2010 holdover at tight end.
Olsen has been stunned by it all.
‘‘It was not something that I expected,’’ he told the Sun-Times. ‘‘Then things transpired really fast. But, in the end, I think I’m going to a good place. There’s no doubt I’m going to miss my teammates, and the city of Chicago has been awesome to me and my family.
‘‘But, the business side of it, this was something that — I guess — was in the Bears’ best interests, and then once we started down that road, there was no turning back.’’
Could he have played another down for the Bears if they hadn’t found a suitable trade partner?
‘‘We went through all that stuff last year, and I was able to put it behind me and move forward,’’ he said. ‘‘Last year wasn’t as serious. But this year was more open and official, that this is what they wanted to do. It would be hard knowing that a team didn’t want you two times, then playing through it again.’’
Olsen admitted his reduced role and opportunities last season bothered him.
‘‘There’s no worse feeling then not being able to play up to your potential,’’ he said. ‘‘Last year, I felt like that was the case.’’
Still, Olsen said he’ll be grateful for his time with the Bears.
‘‘I always had a tremendous amount of respect for [coach] Lovie [Smith] and the Bears for selecting me with their first pick [in 2007],†he said.
Greg Olsen embraces fresh start as Bears deal him to Panthers - Chicago Sun-Times

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
Well, in the Bears defense Greg wasn't worth much more than that. He hasn't been that effective. He certainly wasn't worth a 2nd round pick. We're talking about a guy who averaged about 30 yards per game for his career, coming off his worst year as a pro from a production standpoint. You can chalk that up to the offensive scheme, but Greg hasn't exactly lived up to his draft status, yet.

Greg has a lot of talent, and has the potential to shine if used correctly, but the trade value of a tight end is just not that high. The Bears probably got good market value for him, especially considering that Carolina is likely to have a pretty bad record, this year. I just don't know why they wanted him gone. Certainly, if you're Martz, and you're hurting for weapons as it is, you find a place for a tight end with his potential.

I still don't understand why they wanted Martz. I don't like the guy and with the way the Bears were built it didn't make sense. Now they lose probably their best receiver and in return get a third round pick, which I am sure Angelo will F up.

Now they have signed Roy Williams who has had basically one good year and the rest of them have been sub par. And they still haven't improved their offensive line except for the draft pick Carimi.

JBone84

Nov 30, 2006
Rochester, MN
I still don't understand why they wanted Martz. I don't like the guy and with the way the Bears were built it didn't make sense. Now they lose probably their best receiver and in return get a third round pick, which I am sure Angelo will F up.

Now they have signed Roy Williams who has had basically one good year and the rest of them have been sub par. And they still haven't improved their offensive line except for the draft pick Carimi.

I agree completely. I have little faith that any of their moves will actually improve the team, and mediocrity will abound. Looks like they will finish third in the division behind the Packers and Lions (hopefully they aren't as bad as the Vikings).

:huh:

mcblogerson

Jan 19, 2009
Ohio
My excitement for the season just faded a little.
Can't find a role for a fast receiving TE, can ya Martz, you're a hack.
I have a feeling Martz is going to be the downfall of the Bears.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010

This is a pretty good analysis. With the way the Bears are built right now they need a tight end who can block as well as catch. Olsen is basically a glorified wide receiver out there. I don't know if there's another offensive coordinator in the league who could have got more out of the Bears offense than Martz did last season. Having a terrible offensive line completely handicaps your offense.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
This is a pretty good analysis. With the way the Bears are built right now they need a tight end who can block as well as catch. Olsen is basically a glorified wide receiver out there. I don't know if there's another offensive coordinator in the league who could have got more out of the Bears offense than Martz did last season. Having a terrible offensive line completely handicaps your offense.

Despite winning their division last year, the Bears are a team with a lot of holes. Olsen's deal is up at the end of the year so it was time to decide if they were going to commit major resources toward his next contract or apply that cap space to other holes that will need to be filled. Considering the TE is not a major part of the offense that team is running, it shouldn't be a surprise they were cutting him loose. They don't have enough money under the cap to fix that team and pay Olsen too.

They are in negotiations with Matt Forte's agent about extending him beyond his rookie deal, however. That tells you the relative value they put on his skills compared to Olsen's in that system. Olsen was just in the wrong place, wrong system, wrong point of his contract. Good luck to him.

I see they did not reach a deal to bring back Olin Kreutz at center this year. He was a Bear his entire 13 year career but was a swinging gate last year. The papers make it sound like Kreutz was asking for too much money, but I think it had more to do with performance. Noboy has picked Kreutz up since the deal with the Bears fell through--that says something too.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron