NFL: Bears Release Harris and Hillenmeyer

cigaretteman

Nov 8, 2006
Iowa
The Chicago Bears have released veteran defensive tackle Tommie Harris, a three-time Pro Bowl pick who had struggled in recent years because of injuries.
The Bears also released linebacker Hunter Hillenmeyer and offensive tackle Kevin Shaffer on Monday.
A Pro Bowl pick from 2005 to 2007, Harris was limited by knee and hamstring problems the past few years and never regained his old disruptive form. He had signed a four-year, $40 million extension in June 2008 and was locked in through 2012, but the Bears decided to cut him loose after several ineffective seasons.

Bears release DT Tommie Harris - Omaha.com

dabears32

Nov 23, 2009
I would not be surprised if Hilenmeyer never plays again. He is a good player but people do not mess around with concussions anymore.

Neckbeard

Dec 20, 2008
The Lovie/Cover 2 Bears D was at it's best when Tommie was dominating up front. I still can't figure out if injuries or a lack of work ethic were the main cause for his declining play. It sucks as a Bear fan, that guy was special for his first three years in the league.

I'm glad that we aren't going to go into another season with the "If Tommie is right our D will be great" subplot. It was time to cut bait.