Be Nice to the Hawkeyes?

ISpyCy

Sep 17, 2011
Harlan, IA/Lincoln, NE
I think the write of that opinion piece would rather see the two schools gather in a big circle, sing The Youngbloods "Get Together," followed by putting on kerchiefs and picking wildflowers.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Isnt this like the 5th column by the daily where they think they are the ones who should be lecturing our fanbase?

Please.

If they want to see a real hate-filled rivalry, go see some of the ones in the south. Ours is tame. And there's nothing wrong with it. Their fans all year round do plenty that's deserving of the hate. I dont really hate their university, though some of the management has been poor. The fans that graduated from Iowa actually dont tend to be all that bad. But the ones that have never stepped foot in a UofI classroom, theyre often more than deserving of the hate. Shouting some extremely offensive things at girls i've been with when in iowa city. Random 'go hawks' from fans when all i'm doing is wearing an ISU shirt (like.. at a random store somewhere.. not during football season). Constant teardowns of ISU as a little farm school. The list goes on and on.

If the daily wants however, im happy to redirect my hate.

**** the daily.

CIRISH

Nov 21, 2009
I agree, it is stupid to stoop to the level of some Hawk fans. After all, for the most part we are Iowans, we all live in the same state, or at least have a connection to it. After all, it is just a game. Yes, I would like the Clones to win, again, but I will not need to visit a therapist if ISU fails to win. Go to the game, cheer for your team, win or loose, don't be an idiot fan that ruins someone's day. Both fan bases have a few morons, and the heavy drinking does not help.

CostaDelMar

Jun 21, 2013
Atlanta, GA
The Daily is good for one of these koombaya articles every so often. It baffles me how passive those people can be.

If Iowa Hawkeyes T-shirt wearing, mouthbreathing, tribal tat armed, jort wearing "fans" want to come to Ames and act like fools, then I think it's fair to put them in their place, or at least acknowledge that they suck ***.

If respectful graduates/students/fans of the school want to enage in some good natured ribbing and respect the rivalry, then by all means that's great, and I'll only half-hate them.

I've never seen a school that needs so much self-gratification and so many "pats on the back" as the U of I.

A wise man once said, "Number 1 never has to talk **** on Number 2" ... well they sure do a lot of **** talking. That being said, our rivalry is pretty tame compared to others.

Taking the high road 95% of the time is great, but sometimes the other 5% is justified.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I think the write of that opinion piece would rather see the two schools gather in a big circle, sing The Youngbloods "Get Together," followed by putting on kerchiefs and picking wildflowers.

I could have done that in spring 1970 but that was before we played them in either football or basketball. And, of course, I would have to been pretty stoned.

:smile:

Not playing had a big impact since I remember sitting in the Dana House den watching Iowa play in the NCAAs in 1970 and most all of us were cheering for Iowa. That all changed when we renewed the football series and started home and aways in all of the sports.Wasn't much of a rivalry when you didn't even play one another.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
That guy is either one of those Hawkeye fans at ISU or one of those guys who grew up playing no-scorekeeping soccer and got a blue ribbon for "trying."

Maybe both :twitcy:

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
**** Iowa. I won't openly be a jacka$$ to Iowa fans unless they start ****. Its also called HATE WEEK for a reason.

Reactions: CTTB78

ISU_Clone_28

Mar 27, 2006
Fort Dodge, IA
It's interesting that you post this statement because for me the hate is totally directed at their mouth-breathing, trailer-living, belly HAWKEYES tattoo having, Mountain Dew sippy-cup drinking, Metrodome ****ter sex having, home-made tigerhawk garage door painting, pan-handling, burger-flipping turds for fans.

I love the U of I. Great school, nice campus. Hell, I almost went there. I also have many great UI grad friends and associates. But their t-shirt fans are the worst. Absolutely the worst PsOS ever.

I agree with this part mostly. I cant stand any fan who is completely ignorant and just plain ******** when it comes to throwing out random facts that have nothing to do with the conversation at hand but I do have respect for the fans that can simply say, "Wow, good game. We just got outplayed". I have a few Hok fans like this and have no problems.... the rest of them.... that is when I say F**K Iowa. I used to actually hope the best for them when I was younger until I went to a game at Iowa city and could not even walk 5 feet without having some one curse or spit my way. I expected it from the low life students that were walking around but the one that got me was the one where I had some guy and his wife that had to be well in their 70's get in my path as we were walking down town and start talking *****, spit my way and were some of the most disrespectful. Just completely blew my mind. The next time I went to IC wasn't much better so from that point on I have no sympathy for antyhing Hawkeye and wish nothing but negativity towards their team and the majority of their fanbase.

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008
Be nice to these ********? No thanks.

Hawks vs. Clowns Posted by Matt Hughes on 9/11/2013 | 4:39 PM
Discuss this feature (10)

It’s that time of year again, the time when our beloved Hawks travel west to Ames to take on the Cyclones. This is one of the most intense weeks of the year, not only for players, but for fans on both sides. From a player’s perspective, I thought it would be fun to give an “insider’sâ€￾ view to how we viewed this game and the importance around it. I will do my best to keep this feature clean of language, but the fact of the matter is, it’s Iowa vs. Iowa State, and this is the Hawkeye State!
People have asked me for years about what I think of the Cyclones and this rivalry. Being from Texas, I had no clue what this rivalry meant or how important it was to the state when I got on campus. Within about 10 minutes, I knew exactly how important it was. Coach Fry taught us right away about the importance of this in-state rivalry and how important it was for us to not just beat them but bury them every year.
I was part of a period of time when we won 18 games in a row against the Clowns, but on the flipside, it was my senior year when we lost to them for the first time in 18 years. I don’t remember a lot of details about my career, not even some of the huge wins, but I will NEVER forget the feeling I had when time ran out and we lost to the Cyclones. It was emptiness, frustration, sadness, and disgust all in one, a feeling that could only come by losing to a team who has no business being on the same field with you.
Those were my true feelings, and they still are to a certain extent. Yes, Coach Rhoads has done a great job of creating excitement around his program, but the bottom line is, they are still Iowa State! They view this game as their Super Bowl and base the success of the entire season around if they beat Iowa or not. Lately, the Hawks have treated this game as any other game, trying not to give it more attention than others because it has nothing to do with our mission of winning a Big Ten title. This makes sense, but as a former player with an intense dislike for their program, I’d love to see Coach Ferentz bring the intensity level up for this game. There should be NO DOUBT about whose state this is.
I asked my fellow Huddle Experts their opinions of this game and this rivalry. Here is what they said:
Mitch King wanted me to name the article, “The Guys that Iowa Didn’t Want.â€￾
Matt Melloy said, “When I hear the words Iowa State, I think of a few words to describe them: hate, ugly uniforms, Ames?, dislike, why play them? When it comes to the game, it’s always a tough game because they base their whole season on beating us. That just makes me want to beat them even more. The unfortunate part about this series is that this game is a no-win for Iowa because if we beat them, well, we should have. If we lose, then it hurts us, and it’s an embarrassment. At the end of the day, I’m glad I was born a Hawkeye!â€￾
Marcus Schnoor writes, “Iowa vs. Iowa State week... What Iowa’s been focusing on for six days, Iowa State has been focusing on for six months. This is a must-win for Iowa State because if they want any chance at getting in-state recruits, this is the key contributor in doing so. Kirk Ferentz’s mentality is that each week is just as important as the next, but he usually gives a nice little pick-you-up speech before this game. Let’s get in and out of Ames as quickly as possible with a win and stay out of there for another 2 years. No reason to ever go back!â€￾
Ed Hinkel’s quote was simple, yet very direct, “Screw Iowa State!â€￾
If you think this game is not important to the players, think again. Former players know and understand that Iowa is the Hawkeye State, and there is nothing that would make any of us smile bigger than to go into Ames this Saturday and beat them 150-0! To quote my favorite shirt that I wear every year when we play the Cyclones, “Flush Twice, It’s a Long Way to Ames!â€￾
Go Hawks!

tre

Mar 21, 2010
Don't care about the Iowa State game, but when they lose it's the only game of their career they remember? Seems legit.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron