BCS Championship=BIG XII Showdown?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.
H

HGPuck

Same thing works out if Oklahoma wins out by beating Tech, Oklahoma State and most likely Missouri. That would more than bump them up into the top two.
Tech wins out, Florida St. beats Florida and Florida then beats Bama =

Texas Tech vs. Texas in the National Championship.

USC doesn't play anyone to allow them to jump above them, PSU is in the big 10 - enough said.

H

HGPuck

Oddly enough I would say that all 5 of the top ranked teams control there own destiny as far as reaching the NC expect for Texas but they have the easiest time winning out.

akclone

Bookie
Nov 28, 2006
I would really like to see Tech win out and play Texas in the BCS NC. I fear that if Florida beats Bama in the SEC champ they will be in the BCS NC with a home loss to Mississippi. I think a Texas team with 1 loss to TT is a better loss than UF losing at home to Ole Miss. Of course if Bama wins the SEC with no losses they are more deseving than Texas.

CarolinaCy

Apr 18, 2008
I think the BCS title game is going to be OU vs. the winner of Florida/Bama in the SEC championship game. OU will win out, jumping them ahead of Texas, who is barely ahead of them in the current BCS ranking. And before everyone goes off on a rant about UT beating OU already this season, who do you think would win that matchup right now? That's what I thought.

So that puts OU in the Big 12 title game w/ Mizzou, who'll they'll beat handily, again. OU will have quality wins over Cincy, TCU, Tech, OSU, and Mizzou. That's quite a resume, and will virtually assure them of getting in the BCS top 2.

alaskaguy

Apr 11, 2006
I don't see why people would want an all Big 12 showdown in the BCS championship game. A large part of the attraction is to see teams play that would not be matched up other wise.

If the Big 12 gets one team in the BCS championship game and another team in whatever bowl takes the #3 and #4 ranked teams, and both Big 12 teams win, then the Big 12 is likely to end up with the #1 and #2 ranked teams.

CarolinaCy

Apr 18, 2008
Oddly enough I would say that all 5 of the top ranked teams control there own destiny as far as reaching the NC expect for Texas but they have the easiest time winning out.

Unfortunately for Texas, this will actually hurt them. If Florida and OU win out, they will both surely be ahead of Texas in the BCS standings, as they will have only beaten A&M and Kansas to finish up. That won't do much for their strength of schedule. OU and Florida winning out will have a much stronger impact on voters, as their wins will be perceived as much more impressive. Not to mention their SOS will be much higher.

Texas is definitely on the outside looking in right now, and will probably have to "settle" for the Fiesta Bowl.

vmbplayer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2008
Ankeny
Unfortunately for Texas, this will actually hurt them. If Florida and OU win out, they will both surely be ahead of Texas in the BCS standings, as they will have only beaten A&M and Kansas to finish up. That won't do much for their strength of schedule. OU and Florida winning out will have a much stronger impact on voters, as their wins will be perceived as much more impressive. Not to mention their SOS will be much higher.

Texas is definitely on the outside looking in right now, and will probably have to "settle" for the Fiesta Bowl.

Some day I hope to settle for the Fiesta Bowl :sad:. Too bad I won't be in the band then.

pyrocyz

Jun 2, 2006
Ames
Think of it this way...how can you be the best team in the nation without being the best team in your conference???

For those of you who want a playoff...this is a natural playoff for those conferences with championship games.

erikbj

Aug 31, 2006
hiawatha, ia
Think of it this way...how can you be the best team in the nation without being the best team in your conference???

For those of you who want a playoff...this is a natural playoff for those conferences with championship games.

I think you could be the best team in the nation and not win your conference. when you have 4 of the top 8 teams from one half of one conference it could happen. Texas lost on a last second play on the road. If that was a neutral site, maybe they win.

Also if you have to play Oklahoma, Mizzou, Okie St. and Tech 4 weeks in a row - i don't care how good you are you are not coming out of that unscaled. Does that mean you are not the best team because you had maybe the toughest month in the history of college football???

A playoff would be fun this year.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
The way I see it the scenario only requires Florida to lose to one of 2 ranked opponents, and then beat Bama.

Other than that 2 of either Tech OU or Texas have to win out
Texas has A&M and Baylor left locks?
Tech has OU and mizzou I think? not sure, but also possible.

So really there's only 2 losses that need to happen in my mind for this to be likely.

Next question can the Big 12 get a 3rd team into the BCS in a non-championship bowl due to the tie in or is that out of the question?

That would make us look like a ball hawg. If we get two in, we will then have probably only seven qualified teams for nine bowl spots. Wow. No one will be available to play in the Houston Bowl.

One year Oklahoma, Nebraska and Colorado finished 1-2-3.

Last edited:

MontyBurns

Jan 27, 2008
Texas will lose to A&M, TT will lose to OU, OU will lose to Missouri in the Big 12 championship. Florida will lose to Florida St. and Alabama will lose to Florida. It will set up nicely for Utah vs. Bosie St in the BCS championship game.

No love for Ball State???

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Texas will lose to A&M, TT will lose to OU, OU will lose to Missouri in the Big 12 championship. Florida will lose to Florida St. and Alabama will lose to Florida. It will set up nicely for Utah vs. Bosie St in the BCS championship game.

I would LOVE that match up. The rest of the world would likely whine...