Baylor at Oklahoma State

casey1973

Apr 20, 2012
Ames
I think Okie state got screwed right before OT regarding shot clock - they should have gotten the ball.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Baylor had the ball when the clock issue was noticed. Pretty easy call to reset the clock and resume from that point.

casey1973

Apr 20, 2012
Ames
I said that because I want Baylor to lose I guess rule or not.... May be I can say their own shot clock screwed them!!

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Sims has been out of control most of the game. 6-26 FG, only 3 points since halftime.

66-66, 32.9, OSU ball.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Bad look by OSU. Sims layup on the runout, plus a foul.

68-66 BU, Sims to shoot one.

Another clock issue. Stopped during play again. Reset from 4.8 to 3.8.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Sims has been out of control most of the game. 6-26 FG, only 3 points since halftime.

66-66, 32.9, OSU ball.
Whoa - you're referring to one half of the court; Sims is always in control defensively. She is the best on-the-ball defender in the conference, and Mulkey called her "the best defensive player I've ever coached."

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Sims steals the ball from Bias at the horn.

BU 69, OSU 66.

Current Big 12 standings:
BU 6-1
OSU 6-2
WVU 6-2
UT 4-3
OU 4-3
ISU 4-4
TCU 3-4
KU 3-5
KSU 2-6
TTU 0-8

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Whoa - you're referring to one half of the court; Sims is always in control defensively. She is the best on-the-ball defender in the conference, and Mulkey called her "the best defensive player I've ever coached."

3 of her 4 fouls were on bad defensive plays -- ones that an all-everything senior shouldn't be making.

cydney

Mar 14, 2011
Baylor had the ball when the clock issue was noticed. Pretty easy call to reset the clock and resume from that point.
I thought OSU had the ball when the whistle blew after the refs noticed it. Sims had thrown up a wild shot that OSU rebounded I think. It's true the clock problem began when BU got a ball under the basket. I figured that OSU would keep the ball and the clock would be corrected. Instead BU got the ball and the clock corrected, basically wiping out what appeared to be legitimate play resulting in OSU's ball.

Does anyone know the rule for this? Does the play during the stoppage get voided? If so, they handled it correctly. If not, the OSU got robbed.

geewago

Jan 1, 2013
Waco,tx
If I understand the rules correctly OSU did get robbed of that possession, but not because of the refs. They ruled right. They got robbed because of their silly shot clock operator who screwed up. In fact if you'll go to "Orange Power" and read their comments you'll find most of them saying as much. Multiple posts are saying, "Thanks shot clock operator, you just cost us the game". ETC.

This was indeed a crucial game as far as who is in the drivers seat in the conference race. Baylor has surprised me by going on the road and beating both WVU & OSU. Of course they also surprised me by going on the road and losing to KU. Go figure.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
Both games I've seen Baylor play, Simms has been out of control. She's like the gal at TTech...a volume shooter. Actually just what Fennelly prefers. Quite honestly, its the rest of the team that we need to get control of when we play them. Let Simms put up lots of shots and shut down the others. Lately she's been off more than on.

cydney

Mar 14, 2011
Both games I've seen Baylor play, Simms has been out of control. She's like the gal at TTech...a volume shooter. Actually just what Fennelly prefers. Quite honestly, its the rest of the team that we need to get control of when we play them. Let Simms put up lots of shots and shut down the others. Lately she's been off more than on.

Ditto on this. It doesn't seem fair that Simms gets the winning basket, and thus the headlines that she wins the game for them. It was Robertson who won the game for them with her huge 3-pointers at the end of regulation. I suppose if I have to give Simms credit, yes, she came through in the end. But IMHO her style of play is regressing rather than advancing. Whenever she has a chance, she is practicing her acting skills, trying to draw a foul, even when there is no contact. It was good to see the refs ignore a few of those and actually call her for fouls for a change.

In general though, in games watched over the weekend, it's very frustrating to see two trends in ref calls.
1) Refs are calling offensive fouls at the slightest arm put forward. What happened to freedom of movement for the offensive player? A lead arm is slightly extended, sometimes just natural movement to get a little space, little contact, and they are calling the offensive foul.
2) Players are flopping on the slightest contact from 1). It's getting to extreme levels the way that defensive players are flying back and sliding on the floor to make it appear that an arm pushed them. This is worse than the flops on traditional get-set, take-a-charge call.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
In our game, it was the first time that Hal didn't get beat up as much. Still was going on, but the fouls were being called. Nice change.