BASKETBALL RECRUITING: JUCO PG visiting next week

BBHMagic

Oct 15, 2009
My opinion is being concerned over number of Juco's and transfers we have or are targeting. Yes its a quick fix, but I'd like to see us start building something with younger guys, which I do believe Fred will be trying to do next year. But I still have concerns over that. But I guess that makes me a *******!

You're not stupid for your concerns, but try looking at the situation a different way. I get why you would rather have freshmen than jucos to make for a better future, but getting jucos now will help our team be better now. We need to start having a good team now in order to even be in the running for good freshman players. (Harrison Barnes ring a bell?) As you can see see demonstrated through the McPast, we were never able to land enough good freshmen mainly because we weren't any good. Don't you think we might as well try the quick fix in order to lead to a long term fix?:yes:

CloneState1028

Jan 21, 2008
Ames, IA via Cedar Rapids
You're not stupid for your concerns, but try looking at the situation a different way. I get why you would rather have freshmen than jucos to make for a better future, but getting jucos now will help our team be better now. We need to start having a good team now in order to even be in the running for good freshman players. (Harrison Barnes ring a bell?) As you can see see demonstrated through the McPast, we were never able to land enough good freshmen mainly because we weren't any good. Don't you think we might as well try the quick fix in order to lead to a long term fix?:yes:

Decent point made here, but I don't think this is a quick fix at all. He's bringing in experienced JUCO's/transfers as well as freshmen. He's balancing out the classes very well and is setting this program up to be in great shape sooner rather than later, but it will be in great shape later as well.

BBHMagic

Oct 15, 2009
Decent point made here, but I don't think this is a quick fix at all. He's bringing in experienced JUCO's/transfers as well as freshmen. He's balancing out the classes very well and is setting this program up to be in great shape sooner rather than later, but it will be in great shape later as well.

I definitely don't think this is just a quick fix. We're gettin plenty of future talent this year. I was just referring to his thoughts of recruiting multiple jucos as a quick fix.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Actually, I'd put it that in response to the bevy of four year college transfers that fortuitously dropped into his lap, Fred is doing his almisghty best to bring in a point guard with enough talent, poise and maturity to complement that assemblage of talent, and take advantage of what may well be much more than lightning striking; not allowing a rare collection of athletes to go to waste for want of a competent, if not elite ballhandler and distributor.

Wordy, but that's how I'd put it. :wink:

Reactions: CycloneErik

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Actually, I'd put it that in response to the bevy of four year college transfers that fortuitously dropped into his lap, Fred is doing his almisghty best to bring in a point guard with enough talent, poise and maturity to complement that assemblage of talent, and take advantage of what may well be much more than lightning striking; not allowing a rare collection of athletes to go to waste for want of a competent, if not elite ballhandler and distributor.

Good call. We don't want to waste the gift of all that talent.

Cyismybird

Oct 17, 2009

Exactly. Maturity is a key word. While there may be a PG with a ton of potential out there, we need someone who will led a talented team right away with maturity and poise. We don't need another Colvin for 2011.

Oldgeezer

Mar 18, 2006
Waukon, Iowa

You mean sort of like they wasted Brakins and Gilstrap with last year's assortment of point guards? Like the Cardinals wasted Albert's last 2 yeas? Good point!

Mclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 7, 2006
So anyone else out there that would like to comment on my question without being so abrasive is welcome to comment. My hope is just that he is someone that was about to explode and get attention from the big boys.

This would be purely speculation on my point, but this move is two fold.

1. With all of the experienced transfers being eligible in 2011, do you want 3* freshman running the team or a 3* juco? I think with solid PG being the missing piece, Fred doesn't need to hit a homerun with a stud PG, but needs a solid PG that is ready to contribute to that team.

2. I think the biggest reason is he's wants a 2012 freshman pg who will be a difference maker. With a JUCO PG who will be a senior in 2012, he can tell the 2012 recruit, you can come in, get your feet wet playing minutes behind my senior PG and then the keys are yours for your remaining 2-3 years.

Ficklone02

Apr 11, 2006
City by the Bay
I kind of like the idea that bringing in a juco pg will not waste the bevy of transfer talent we will have ready to go next year. Good points on that end, especially given the fact that this was our final scholarship to give out next year.