basketball next season

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
This is right on. Anyone here that thinks Booker and Percy can be a force in scoring is speculating with no evidence to show. Unless someone takes SERIOUS strides in their game during the offseason, Clyburn will be shouldering a lot of the scoring responsibilities. That's why I always laughed when people said they didn't want Oriaki or that Percy and Booker would be getting equal minutes to him. Insane!

There is definite evidence that Percy has the ability to score. Good points per minute, and did some great work against the Kentucky bigs on the offensive end.

(in response to the post you quoted in your response), Melvin could certainly become a go-to scorer. Maybe not The go-to scorer, but one of them. If he can get his three point and intermediate shots going, he has shown the ability to score (7 games with 15 pts or more this season, high of 21). Not sure why everyone seems to think that as a player is determines how they always will be. Melvin was huge in many ways for us, and has the potential to get even better. I think he has the potential for 15-18 points/game with improvement.

Babb may have dropped off in-conference offensively, but he has the ability, that is very clear. More mental than anything. He may not be the best off the drive, but he can work on that too (see Scottie's improvement junior to senior year in this regard). I think Babb can be anywhere from 9 to 13 points per game.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Clyburn: Again....i said hes probably the best scoring option.....but im venturing to guess you didnt see one game of him in Utah....so no we dont exactly know what we have here...all reports have been good.

I don't need any CF poster to do analysis of his game. When Coach Hoiberg says that he believes that Clyburn has the most NBA potential of any player on a squad that contains Royce White, I think we can rest assured that he will be a player ISU can count on. I'm pretty sure Hoiberg has seen film of him and perhaps even seen him practice a time or two. Couple that with the other reports and stats of him being a gifted offensive player and I think we have a pretty good idea of what we have here.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
There is definite evidence that Percy has the ability to score. Good points per minute, and did some great work against the Kentucky bigs on the offensive end.

(in response to the post you quoted in your response), Melvin could certainly become a go-to scorer. Maybe not The go-to scorer, but one of them. If he can get his three point and intermediate shots going, he has shown the ability to score (7 games with 15 pts or more this season, high of 21). Not sure why everyone seems to think that as a player is determines how they always will be. Melvin was huge in many ways for us, and has the potential to get even better. I think he has the potential for 15-18 points/game with improvement.

Babb may have dropped off in-conference offensively, but he has the ability, that is very clear. More mental than anything. He may not be the best off the drive, but he can work on that too (see Scottie's improvement junior to senior year in this regard). I think Babb can be anywhere from 9 to 13 points per game.

A lot of this may come down to how effective Lucious is.

Royce was a good (sometimes dazzling) passer for a big man. But if Lucious pans out as best pure PG we've seen in a half-decade (or more), playmaking is going to bring points.

If Ejim continues to improve at ball handling and finishing, look out. Gibson showed loads of potential on offense. We know Booker, McGee and Babb can nail open 3’s when the spacing and flow is there (and McGee is certainly a threat as a slasher).

This isn't even taking into account anticipation of Clyburn's contribution or impact of any of the freshmen.

Plenty of “ifs,â€￾ yet a good share of knowns.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
WVU struggled towards the end of the season and were completely blown out by Gonzaga in the tournament (close to a 30 point final margin, I think). I believe they also lose a couple of good seniors, so they could be in for a "down" season next year.

As for us, I agree with your second paragraph. I think that with a traditional point guard we will have a much different look offensively from last season, and that might take time to adjust to. It wouldn't surprise me to see us lose a game or two in the non-conference that we really have no business losing, only to recover and play well during Big 12 time.

That sounds strangely familiar. :smile:

nallen34

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 9, 2010
Ankeny, IA
Not necessarily disagreeing but do you have a reason to think his % will go up with more playing time when per your numbers he has decreased with playing time?

Many reasons. A year off to work on his shot, Hoiberg as a coach, a 3 pt mentality offense, better shooters around him to space the floor and get off higher quality shots.

Last edited:

mattyice

Oct 15, 2011
I don't need any CF poster to do analysis of his game. When Coach Hoiberg says that he believes that Clyburn has the most NBA potential of any player on a squad that contains Royce White, I think we can rest assured that he will be a player ISU can count on. I'm pretty sure Hoiberg has seen film of him and perhaps even seen him practice a time or two. Couple that with the other reports and stats of him being a gifted offensive player and I think we have a pretty good idea of what we have here.

Reading comprehensions a helluva thing.....pretty sure i eluded to the fact hes probably our best scoring option....BUT..hes an unknown.

People keep taking about Babb...i love the kid.....but in the last 17 games of the season...he only scored in double digits......twice. That scares me at the 2 guard next year.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
I'm most curious as to how Percy pans out. The Mayor didn't play him much early, but his role increased as the season progressed. Every time I saw him I thought he should be getting more playing time, but in the Mayor I trust. One of his better point production games was against Kentucky of all things; granted, they may have been somewhat junk minutes, but nine points against Kentucky still seems pretty good. When Fred was on CBSSN this weekend, he was talking Percy up. His development seems like a key to our future to me.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Reading comprehensions a helluva thing.....pretty sure i eluded to the fact hes probably our best scoring option....BUT..hes an unknown.

People keep taking about Babb...i love the kid.....but in the last 17 games of the season...he only scored in double digits......twice. That scares me at the 2 guard next year.

i comprehend just fine. Just because you haven't seen him doesn't make him an unknown. Fred knows and has indicated his skill is all it was cracked up to be. I think that was in my post too, but apparently your reading comprehension is lacking.

mattyice

Oct 15, 2011
i comprehend just fine. Just because you haven't seen him doesn't make him an unknown. Fred knows and has indicated his skill is all it was cracked up to be. I think that was in my post too, but apparently your reading comprehension is lacking.

Actually have seen him play......but thanks.

Anyway....the point was seeing where we think our points will come from....the responses have been interesting....sounds like most think Clyburn and Percy? will be big scorers for us.

now obviously this is very fluid with transfers, etc.....im just mildly concerned with who scores for us...which i think is a legit concern given who left the program.

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
I'm most curious as to how Percy pans out. The Mayor didn't play him much early, but his role increased as the season progressed. Every time I saw him I thought he should be getting more playing time, but in the Mayor I trust. One of his better point production games was against Kentucky of all things; granted, they may have been somewhat junk minutes, but nine points against Kentucky still seems pretty good. When Fred was on CBSSN this weekend, he was talking Percy up. His development seems like a key to our future to me.

The thing about Percy is, can you count on him every game for 20-30 minutes? Who knows. Yeah, he was pretty useful against UK, but what people are not talking about are him being bench the entire UConn game. Stars don't ride pine a whole game. So to say he can come out every game despite matchup issues is strictly speculating without evidence to back it up.
Everyone says in Fred they trust yet Percy has sat quite a few games. Booker too. And you guys think either of these guys will average double digits? I am not convinced. Ejim had great scoring games this season, will he be capable without the veritile post like Royce White handing him bunnies every game? I am not convinced.
I think people who are concerned about where the scoring will come from are making MORE valid points than the extremely optimistic group on the other side.

mattyice

Oct 15, 2011
The thing about Percy is, can you count on him every game for 20-30 minutes? Who knows. Yeah, he was pretty useful against UK, but what people are not talking about are him being bench the entire UConn game. Stars don't ride pine a whole game. So to say he can come out every game despite matchup issues is strictly speculating without evidence to back it up.
Everyone says in Fred they trust yet Percy has sat quite a few games. Booker too. And you guys think either of these guys will average double digits? I am not convinced. Ejim had great scoring games this season, will he be capable without the veritile post like Royce White handing him bunnies every game? I am not convinced.
I think people who are concerned about where the scoring will come from are making MORE valid points than the extremely optimistic group on the other side.

Well worded.

And some of their LACK of points come obviously from more unknowns...as in we dont know if Percy would respond to big minutes, clyburns game, etc......but i agree...to think we have all these scoring options is just kool aid central.

brokenloginagain

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2006
Scoring avg leaders next year:
1. Clyburn (~17)
2. Lucious (~14)
3. McGee (~13)
4. Niang (~11)
5. Ejim (~10)
6. Gibson (~10)

NorthIACy

Apr 1, 2012
Mason City, Iowa
The thing we must remember about Babb is that he has to exert a lot of his energy on the defensive end. If you watched his shots they would all normally, and i enforce the word normally, come up short. If Babb does his job on the defensive end, scoring can become a secondary thing for him. If he could get a couple threes to fall a game and contain the other teams scorer, he's done his job in my eyes.

I think we are going to be a much improved defensive team next year. Penetration killed us this year because Scotty had to guard players that were quicker than him last year. I don't see that happening with Lucious.

All I've seen from Clyburn is his youtube video, but it looks like he can do it all. Score, Defend, and Rebound.

But then it comes down to post players, we will be undersized but as long as they are willing to rebound, and hustle I think we will be fine.

mattyice

Oct 15, 2011
hah, its april, just throwing out an optimistic guees, why not?

Ha no worries.....if i had to speculate.

Scoring avg leaders next year:
1. Clyburn (~14)
2. Lucious (~8)
3. McGee (~10)
4. Niang (~6)
5. Ejim (~10)
6. Gibson (~11)
7. Babb (7)

Thats 65 points a game.....IMHO that looks about right. Again..very fluid though with transfers coming in etc....so who knows.