jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
I'd like to go to the Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown with my dad this summer so I'm looking for a a few tips and tricks from people who have been there.

Better to fly into Albany or Syracuse?
How long did you spend in the actual museum?
Anything else of note in the area?

Is it worth a dedicated trip to go to the Hall?
Definitely worth a trip at some point. Not sure it is worth a dedicated trip though. We went in 2012 on a trip through all of the northeast so not sure the best way to get there. I can't remember how exactly how long we were there, but I think it was close to 4 hours. There is Doubleday Field which is kind of cool, but nothing special.

nickcyv

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 29, 2009
No advice on flying into Albany or Syracuse as I was in New York City and we drove up for the day.

We spent three to four hours in the actual museum and really enjoyed it.

I wouldn't think you would have anything to do in Cooperstown after the first day but others may know more.

BigSkyCy2

Bookie
Aug 9, 2006
No advice on the flight, as I was visiting my dad on the East Coast and we drove up.

We spent 5-6 hours at the Museum. Really enjoyed everything there and just spent a good amount of time watching all the videos and reading as much as I could, as I may never make it back.

As for other stuff, Doubleday Field was cool, but didn't spend a ton of time there. There are a ton of little shots in downtown filled with baseball stuff. We spent a couple hours walking around there as well.

The night we were there, we hit up the Cooperstown Dreams Park. It's a huge complex that hosts youth tournaments during the summer. We had heard it was the championship night with fireworks and what not, so stopped in to watch and see the fireworks. It was quite the place.

ForbinsAscynt

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2014
I grew up in New York and did a trip with my grandpa when I was young. Would love to get back sometime. Upstate NY is a big area but if you are taking a couple days I would suggest going to West Point. Touring the campus is fantastic. Flying into NYC is probably just as easy especially Newark

BillyClone

Mar 20, 2006
Ankeny IA
I'd like to go to the Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown with my dad this summer so I'm looking for a a few tips and tricks from people who have been there.

Better to fly into Albany or Syracuse?
How long did you spend in the actual museum?
Anything else of note in the area?

Is it worth a dedicated trip to go to the Hall?

May want to check out attending Hall of Fame Induction weekend.

I went for Hall of Fame Weekend back in 2005 (Sandberg and Boggs). Flew into Albany, rented a car and stayed at a hotel in Albany. Drove to Cooperstown Saturday and Sunday. It was surreal. The place was flooded with legends of baseball. Walked along the sidewalk and chatted with Tommy Lasorda, shook hands and spoke to Dallas Green, got a picture taken with Bud Seling, got autographs from Killebrew, Yogi, Feller, Ozzie Smith, Lou Brock, shook hands with Frank Robinson and Willie Mays. Amazing weekend. Lots of people, but it was an incredible experience.

Oh, and we went to the museum as well.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron