Barry Alvarez to retire this summer.

cycloneML

Mar 5, 2008
I see him out and about occasionally and it's usually kind of a mob boss vibe for sure.

Richter (prior AD) doesn't seem the same, and the time I saw Paul Chryst he had a bag of ice like he was going walleye fishing.
So JP fired arguably one of Barry’s best friends, Dan McCarney. I wonder how the Barry / JP relationship is.

Dr.bannedman

liberal
Aug 21, 2012
that island napoleon got sent to
JP may have had good timing with massive TV dollar increases, but the athletic department has grown by leaps and bounds under his leadership. He's gonna have a building named after him. He's on the Mt Rushmore of ISU athletics.

I dont have time to look into this.... but i'd like to see ISU growth during this time compared to all other power 5 teams.... tv contracts.... general bleeding of boomer money into athletic programs across the nation... did JP really do that much or are we just like all the others (power 5).....

20eyes

May 15, 2020
I dont have time to look into this.... but i'd like to see ISU growth during this time compared to all other power 5 teams.... tv contracts.... general bleeding of boomer money into athletic programs across the nation... did JP really do that much or are we just like all the others (power 5).....
It's a fair point but I think you'd find that JPs management of the facilities growth was excellent and also that he was playing a lot of catch-up compared to most other programs. We didn't even have an alumni hall when JP got here which iirc was quite rare.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
Like I said, he had good timing. But that's part of success, hard work, skill, and a little luck.

Reactions: Dr.bannedman

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
It would be nice if we could beat Iowa in at least one of the major sports? It's been a while...

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Knowing a few large donors, JP made them put their money where their mouth was big time compared to the past. It was the large donors calling for Macs head so he dumped him and then said that agreement about having 50 yardline seats with no donation because they paid to build trice is done. A grand could put you in the middle of the field, now it’s way different. If you want to see how an AD is doing, go by ticket income and total donations. That takes TV money out. Our donations this year is going to be about 10x the amount when he showed up. I’m unsure of ticket sales.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Brought a 4A State Football Championship to Mason City High, right?
His best player was a lineman named Raridon, who went to Nebby.

Guess who Matt Campbell is recruiting this year?

Reactions: 20eyes

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron