Barnett

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
I like JB and appreciate everything he's done for the team and the program, but what makes everyone think he'd make a good coach? Just because he's a team player and a Rah-Rah guy? I mean, he's regressed tremendously, and, other than an ability to run the read option, I haven't seen a ton showing he can read and pick apart defenses. Just because you're a really good guy doesn't mean you'd be a good coach. Or a good player, for that matter. Not saying he couldn't be, but other than being a team player, I just don't know what others are seeing to make this assumption.

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
When I look at Jared Barnett, I see a future football coach. Though he may have some physical limitations, his intellect and understanding of the game of football, are not limiting factors with him. My guess is that he may already understand this. I think Jared Barnett has a very bright future (whether it be with football, or elsewhere).

If JB has any salt to him at all, he'll stick around and try to win the position. What is he, a redshirt soph? It's not like his career is over if he really wanted to improve. Maybe Richardson is that much better, and if so, good for him, but you don't get to be a Big XII QB by not thinking you are the best thing to ever walk onto a football field. It's becoming more the exception, rather that the rule, that a #1 QB take every snap during the season. Keep working, wait for your shot, then make the most of it.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
If JB has any salt to him at all, he'll stick around and try to win the position. What is he, a redshirt soph? It's not like his career is over if he really wanted to improve. Maybe Richardson is that much better, and if so, good for him, but you don't get to be a Big XII QB by not thinking you are the best thing to ever walk onto a football field. It's becoming more the exception, rather that the rule, that a #1 QB take every snap during the season. Keep working, wait for your shot, then make the most of it.

He's obviously a solid kid. I hope he sticks around. I personally don't see him taking that many more steps at quarterback because I think he's hit a ceiling and he frankly can't improve much more. The right thing for him to do though is to keep competing and I'm confident he will.

Omaha Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 1, 2007
www.tecmobowl-vs-rbi.com
Barnett has seen how fast the QB climate at Iowa State changes. I think he certainly sticks around.

Sounds like he was basically the 3rd string in mid-august 2011(Tiller/Jantz before ineligible announcement), ended up as the unquestioned starter by mid-season, got pulled in the bowl, lost the QB competition in August 2012, got it back vs TCU and considered again the unquestioned starter, lost it again a few weeks later, and well.......who knows from here.

And that's with Jantz having a couple career type days in both seasons, and Cyclone nation ordaining him the absolute must start QB going forward. With Jantz gone, he just goes back into the QB meat grinder with SR next fall.

Point is he's found that under Rhoads there's a good shot you make it back on the field even when it looks like you are done, and left for dead. Same can be said for Jantz in his career at ISU.

MIClone

Aug 31, 2011
Central Michigan
This whole conversation just seems silly to me. Richardson look GREAT last week, but it was one game. Who knows who's going to be QB for the next two years. I hope Richardson is the real deal, but I need to see more before writing Barnett off as a non-starter next year. Barnett's a smart guy. He will improve over the offseason.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
This whole conversation just seems silly to me. Richardson look GREAT last week, but it was one game. Who knows who's going to be QB for the next two years. I hope Richardson is the real deal, but I need to see more before writing Barnett off as a non-starter next year. Barnett's a smart guy. He will improve over the offseason.

He certainly didn't improve over last offseason. What makes you so sure he will this one?

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
Jared Barnett is a class act and a great Cyclone, but if things move the way that they might and he finds himself looking at another #3 spot on the depth chart next year behind Richardson and Rohach, I would not fault him at all for transferring for playing time if he chose. If he decided to stay, it would just cement his reputation and legacy as a true Cyclone. He will always live on in our history as the QB for the famous Oklahoma State game.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
We are all hoping that Sam R. is so good that he's on a completely different level than Barnett. I doubt Barnett thinks that, and I'm going to need to see a game other than KU or WVU to be convinced it's true.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
I like JB and appreciate everything he's done for the team and the program, but what makes everyone think he'd make a good coach? Just because he's a team player and a Rah-Rah guy? I mean, he's regressed tremendously, and, other than an ability to run the read option, I haven't seen a ton showing he can read and pick apart defenses. Just because you're a really good guy doesn't mean you'd be a good coach. Or a good player, for that matter. Not saying he couldn't be, but other than being a team player, I just don't know what others are seeing to make this assumption.

I base my opinion on comments that CPR has made about JB being a very intelligent football player who has a deep understanding of the game and is very intelligent. His intelligence and knowledge are the things that have enabled him to be a starting QB at a Big XII school despite not having as much natural physical talents as others at this level. Add to that his non-complaining attitude that is displayed in public towards his teammates that are competing for the QB job. And his reactions that are displayed towards those teammates when they have some success. Plus JB has been manning the headset and relaying info from upstairs in the box to his teammates that happen to be in the game.

That is what I see. Plus JB's father is a successful coach. IMO, he might follow in his footsteps and possibly have picked up the coaching attributes from his father and the environment he was raised in. Coaching seems to get into the Family Blood. Look at all the great coaches who had fathers that were coaches. Like CPR for example.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
We are all hoping that Sam R. is so good that he's on a completely different level than Barnett. I doubt Barnett thinks that, and I'm going to need to see a game other than KU or WVU to be convinced it's true.

Yes, I really hope we see either JB or Sam put together two good games here heading into next year.

Agclone91

Feb 5, 2011
Ames
As others have said, no way JB transfers. He has used his redshirt and would only have one year eligibility. He is a great teammate (from what I hear) and he has a great attitude. I have a Senior football player in on of my classes (who I will leave nameless for his benefit) that has said that Jantz is not a very good teammate and have never heard the same about JB. I would be sad to see him go if by some crazy reason he did. JB is a huge part of cyclone history, even if its only for one game, and still has a lot to offer IMO. The kid is only a Sophomore. There's plenty of time for improvement and we have seen multiple times that CPR isn't afraid to mix it up if he thinks its best for the team.

Last edited:

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Barnett is still one of the worst throwers I've seen as an ISU fan. End of story. Maybe Waye Terry is behind him.

Austin Flynn was not good. Tiller was not that good. We have had far worse. Steele Jantz has looked worse than Barnett on many occasions. Which is probably the reason he has lost his job to Barnett a couple of times.

Your hatred of Barnett is clouding your memory.