Barnett

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
I'd honestly rather have Barnett stay at QB than switch to WR. As we've seen this season, you can never have too many QBs. Even if SBR blows up this week and during the bowl game and is the no doubt starter going into next season, there is still a good chance that someone else will have to take snaps at QB next season. I would rather have more than just Rohach to depend on if needed.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
Hopefully we have the talent at WR to keep JB at QB. We thought the same thing with tiller, and he rarely plays it seems like. Jared is a solid back-up QB and the guys seem to really like him.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
I'd honestly rather have Barnett stay at QB than switch to WR. As we've seen this season, you can never have too many QBs. Even if SBR blows up this week and during the bowl game and is the no doubt starter going into next season, there is still a good chance that someone else will have to take snaps at QB next season. I would rather have more than just Rohach to depend on if needed.

I agree. I think Barnett would bring more value to the team as a QB, because I don't think he would translate to the WR position as well as Tiller did, and Tiller is only having minimal impact as a WR. I would not be comfortable with only two (fairly slight) scholarship QBs and true freshmen next year.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines

It's not like he couldn't start taking snaps at QB in practice if there was some sort of emergency and we needed another back-up.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
I don't get the posts about JB leaving or changing positions. Anytime a kid is in a back-up roll he needs to leave or play some other spot?

Jared Barnett can continue to contribute, even as a back-up QB on a Big 12 team. It's a valuable spot on the team. He is needed there we should support that role.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Placing my bet that Barnett will be gone after this season. Just a feeling.

I will take that bet. I bet Barnett stays and tries to compete for the job. He will not pull a Phil Bates move and transfer and then be a backup somewhere else. Keep in mind that Barnett has already burned his RS year......while Bates had not. So that means that Barnett would transfer and have one year left of eligibility.

Barnett is the type of young man that will try to compete and win the job back. That is his nature. He KNOWS that it takes quality backups to compete in the Big XII and that he will see some snaps in the future due to injury or other reasons. Like I said, the contributions that Barnett is making even now with the headset on the sidelines is invaluable. We need players like Barnett that can accept their role even if they are not starting or on the field. It is called being ALL IN.

Look at Woody, White, Johnson, Nealy, and Standard. They accept their role. It is football. You never know.

Reactions: CyDude16

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
I really like JB, but I don't think he'd make a good receiver. I don't know why

I don't think he'd be a huge contributor there either. He's not as tall or physically strong as Tiller. He's quick, but not as fast as most of our WRs.

He's be a lot more of an asset as a full time QB than splitting time to maybe be a backup WR.

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky
I don't think he'd be a huge contributor there either. He's not as tall or physically strong as Tiller. He's quick, but not as fast as most of our WRs.

He's be a lot more of an asset as a full time QB than splitting time to maybe be a backup WR.

lulz tiller, physically strong.... that just doesnt seem plausible.

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
Just one play from the line of scrimmage I would like to see all three line up in the back field, that would really **** with the d-coordinator.

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky
And we would go on to beat 3 ranked teams!! Yeah, but he sucks though.

I didnt know he beat them all by himself.

Look at his stats, he has regressed this season. Unfortunately, it's a shame neither Jantz nor JB could get it done and seal the job. Obviously thats not the case...

CrazyGreg you are as pro Barnett as Clones21 is pro Jantz... And both of you are morons.

CRAZYGREG

Feb 29, 2008
Des Moines
I didnt know he beat them all by himself.

Look at his stats, he has regressed this season. Unfortunately, it's a shame neither Jantz nor JB could get it done and seal the job. Obviously thats not the case...

CrazyGreg you are as pro Barnett as Clones21 is pro Jantz... And both of you are morons.

No - I am just REALLY REALLY anti-Jantz and very appreciative that Barnett was able to get us some very good signature wins. I have 0 problems with SR taking over - anyone BUT Jantz!

Palmer

Jun 10, 2008
Johnston, IA
regardless of what happens...JB will always be a part of ISU history with beating No #2. Great teammate....even better person off the field.

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky
No - I am just REALLY REALLY anti-Jantz and very appreciative that Barnett was able to get us some very good signature wins. I have 0 problems with SR taking over - anyone BUT Jantz!

Stats are very telling this season who the less ******** of the two options were...

Look it up. Or I'll save you the time. 13 Tds-11 int 63% comp ; 6 tds-4 ints 48% comp

One of which has been playing qb quite a bit longer then the other.. There is some dose of reality for you.

CRAZYGREG

Feb 29, 2008
Des Moines
JB: 1-2 in the BIg 12 (win on the road over #13 TCU)
SJ: 1-3 (only win over the worst defense in college football history)

Sorry numbers don't lie

JB never got the chance to play any non-conference games.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Stats are very telling this season who the less ******** of the two options were...

Look it up. Or I'll save you the time. 13 Tds-11 int 63% comp ; 6 tds-4 ints 48% comp

One of which has been playing qb quite a bit longer then the other.. There is some dose of reality for you.

Stats are fine to look at, but they don't tell you what teams they played against and I'd rather have ****ty stats and a win than decents stats and only one conference win.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
I like the potential Jantz had as a starter, but he wasn't able to deliver on that potential enough to win conference games other than Baylor.

JB has his limitations and has not played his best this season. That doesn't mean he can't improve and provides no value to the QB depth chart.