Barnett should not have been pulled.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
No apology forthcoming. The point is the same, SJ is not the answer. My criticism of SJ's mechanics have been very direct all season in every thread pertaining to the topic.

I don't care if JB is the starter or not. SJ should not be our starting QB.

There you go again delineating between to equally inept QBs. Your offer offer of obtuseness in lieu of an apology is accepted.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
Tough choice for the staff going into next year.

Jantz has the stronger arm and is a better runner in my opinion, and early in the season he was actually a pretty accurate thrower. I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt and say he was rusty coming back. But he does not see the field well and is too willing to throw into coverage, which leads to turnovers.

Barnett came in and was steadier early. I think he sees the field better than SJ, and doesn't force things as often, but his mechanics have deteriorated as the season went on and the turnovers persist. He has time to improve, however, and barring any significant changes over the winter I would probably put more time into developing JB than SJ if I was the coach.

A big 12 QB needs to be able to accurately assess the defense pre-snap and deliver the football to the right place with accuracy. ISU's offense will not improve a whole lot unless we find a way to deliver on this.

clone4good

Oct 27, 2009
disagree. First series of the game Barnett misses Lenz on an EASY 5 yard throw across the middle for a touchdown. Next series Barnett misses Reynolds on an EASIER 3 step curl didnt even get it to his feet, that continues the drive and probably ends up being a touchdown with the momentum we had. thats 14 points right there. But I also dont think Steele is worth two craps either so we better pray that either of these two are not the starting qb come next fall. It also didnt help that the line fricken got rocked when steele went in.

Tedcyclone

Oct 27, 2009
West Des Moines
Horrible decision. Barnett earned the right to play that whole game.

100% agree, worst coaching decision since CPR has been here. We moved the ball very well with Barnett, he was just missing open receivers, but what did Steele ever do that said he would come in and be sharp? Nothing is the answer, as seen by the limited times he threw over the middle. Not to mention the 2, should have been 3 picks.

I will never understand after 1.5 quarters a qb would be pulled that was in charge of the biggest win in ISU history and only a freshman.

Tedcyclone

Oct 27, 2009
West Des Moines
on Jantz being a better runner... He didnt scramble at all in this bowl game... if there was a rush he ran further backwards or grounded the ball. Terrible.

Barnett at least runs forward, and usually gains yards. I thought our running game was 100 times better in every game Jared played in.

Reactions: CyDude16

WeedCyntist

Sep 10, 2011
Gilbert, IA
I don't fault CPR for wanting to make a change but when SJ was equally as bad I would have at least tried putting JB back in to see if he calmed down. But.... if he didn't prepare as well as SJ maybe he cooked his own goose with the coaches?

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
100% agree, worst coaching decision since CPR has been here. We moved the ball very well with Barnett, he was just missing open receivers, but what did Steele ever do that said he would come in and be sharp? Nothing is the answer, as seen by the limited times he threw over the middle. Not to mention the 2, should have been 3 picks.

I will never understand after 1.5 quarters a qb would be pulled that was in charge of the biggest win in ISU history and only a freshman.

Rutgers changed defenses and JB was horrid. In two series Jantz had already matched JB's performance. Certainly not enough to say CPR's worse decision at ISU, or even a bad one. That would be hiring Herman, or not allowing Herman to spend all his time preparing for his new job. Think of the house shopping Herman missed out on in those 2 hours he prepped for Rutgers.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
My only real problem with pulling JB is that the team just seems to have no rhythm when Jantz is in the game. JB isn't flawless but he gives you some consistency. When Steele is good he's the better QB but the offense is like a roller coaster from play to play when he is in there. Our biggest problem yesterday was ball control, and even the biggest Jantz supporters have to admit that's not his strong suit. Steele is no more reliable through the air than JB and he really struggles with the read option game. That is the most important aspect of this offense, our QB should be whoever does that the best.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
For all the CPR bashing on this thread, do we even know that Barnett was healthy? If his mobility was at all hampered this was an easy decision by Rhoads. Palmer stated he was limping coming out after the half. Until we know what his status was, I don't think we can say if it was a good decision or not.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
on Jantz being a better runner... He didnt scramble at all in this bowl game... if there was a rush he ran further backwards or grounded the ball. Terrible.

Coming into the game after JB fumbles on a 10 yard loss, Jantz had more rushing yards on his first two plays than JB did in over a quarter

clonestar12

May 16, 2006
Texas
You have 2 inexperienced QBs that needed a commited QB coach/OC to help them prepare for this national stage. Herman, by his own admission, did not put near enough time in prep for this game and it showed in many forms yesterday. CPR should not have given TH the benefit of the doubt in keeping him on staff as a lame duck coach. I am guessing the CPR learned a hard lesson yesterday.

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA
For all the CPR bashing on this thread, do we even know that Barnett was healthy? If his mobility was at all hampered this was an easy decision by Rhoads. Palmer stated he was limping coming out after the half. Until we know what his status was, I don't think we can say if it was a good decision or not.

JB_onesix Jared T. Barnett
To all my inquisitive followers, I did hurt my knee but not bad enough to where I couldn't play. Thank y'all for the love&support this year

jWill798 Joel Williams
@JB_onesix if you could play why didn't u?

JB_onesix Jared T. Barnett
@jWill798 Coach Rhoads decision

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
Jantz has been better in practice so the switch was made. It was going to be wide open job next year anyway. Neither of these guys are setting the world on fire right now. If somebody can take a big step, the job is theirs. Spring football isn't that far away.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I thought it was BS. Barnett got us here, not Jantz. I don't know where we would be with Jantz at QB all year. Definitely not in a bowl game.

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
You have 2 inexperienced QBs that needed a commited QB coach/OC to help them prepare for this national stage. Herman, by his own admission, did not put near enough time in prep for this game and it showed in many forms yesterday. CPR should not have given TH the benefit of the doubt in keeping him on staff as a lame duck coach. I am guessing the CPR learned a hard lesson yesterday.

Where did Herman admit he didn't put in enough preparation time?

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
I thought it was BS. Barnett got us here, not Jantz. I don't know where we would be with Jantz at QB all year. Definitely not in a bowl game.

Barnett did a good job this year. But that is not a fair statement at all. Jantz won us 3 games this year, a couple of them single handily. He played like *** sometimes, but it isn't accurate to say he did nothing.

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
He admitted on the radio before the game that his prep time was limited by his OSU responsibilities.

Thanks. Now that that is interesting. JFC...thanks Tom. Don't let the door hit you on the way out. No wonder our QB's are not developing, we got a QB coach that is more concerned about OSU.