Bankston Transferring to the Rajun Cajuns (EDIT: Now Houston)

jcisuclones

Nov 23, 2011
Ames, IA
Was that the problem?
Got called out in front of the team for his lack of effort because of that and didn’t like it. Entered the transfer portal few days later. Campbell loves guys who will play through injury if they physically can, especially if it’s something like a twisted ankle.

• Informative
Reactions: JBone84

GeauxUL

Sep 12, 2020
First, hope you guys are well and congrats on a good season.

Hope you don't mind (lol) a few thoughts on this, since it is yet another thing we have in common:

1. I know it must seem very alien to you guys, but it is "Ragin' Cajuns," not "Rajun Cajuns." I just wanted to make the correct version available, for those interested.

2. Overall we are happy to get Bankston, and think/hope he will be a good fit for us, and that both of us will prosper from his move.

3. Most of the comments on this thread are pretty spot-on, in the end, this is a kid who is trying to make the best deal for himself that he can. As with all players, except in very extreme cases, we should always wish them the best in whatever they do.

4. But there a few wacko posts I find amazing: I mean I just don't get the arrogance and disdain some of you have for a team that beat you pretty soundly. Also, knocking our academics?? That's just silly. But in any event, I won't lose sleep over it.

5. And for those selling Napier short, I fear that some of you are letting your fandom cloud your thoughts. He is committed to UL for at least the next year, and I would bet the next year as well. He is a guy who is going big places (there a lot of folks that think he is holding out for Bama, but that is a whole other rabitt hole, not best for this thread, ;-) ), and we are thrilled that he is taking us with him as he gets to his next stop. Here is a pretty good article that sums up why he has turned down offers, his philosophy, etc.:

Cheers!

Last edited:

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
First, hope you guys are well and congrats on a good season.

Hope you don't mind (lol) a few thoughts on this, since it is yet another thing we have in common:

1. I know it must seem very alien to you guys, but it is "Ragin' Cajuns," not "Rajun Cajuns." I just wanted to make the correct version available, for those interested.

2. Overall we are happy to get Bankston, and think/hope he will be a good fit for us, and that both of us will prosper from his move.

3. Most of the comments on this thread are pretty spot-on, in the end, this is a kid who is trying to make the best deal for himself that he can. As with all players, except in very extreme cases, we should always wish them the best in whatever they do.

4. But there a few wacko posts I find amazing: I mean I just don't get the arrogance and disdain some of you have for a team that beat you pretty soundly. Also, knocking our academics?? That's just silly. But in any event, I won't lose sleep over it.

5. And for those selling Napier short, I fear that some of you are letting your fandom cloud your thoughts. He is committed to UL for at least the next year, and I would bet the next year as well. He is a guy who is going big places (there a lot of folks that think he is holding out for Bama, but that is a whole other rabitt hole, not best for this thread, ;-) ), and we are thrilled that he is taking us with him as he gets to his next stop. Here is a pretty good article that sums up why he has turned down offers, his philosophy, etc.:

Cheers!

I like most of your post, pretty informative. But you 'beat us soundly' with 2 special teams scores & double digit guys on our team either not practicing or out altogether - it's not silly to say we were still the better team on the year.

And people suggesting academics playing a role probably aren't necessarily taking a shot at Louisiana being a bad school, rather a Big 12 AAU institution having a little higher admittance standards - doesn't seem too far fetched.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Seems like a real Lucca Stager move
I disagree. While I think that bowls are a big deal it is becoming more and more apparent that a lot players don't and it is becoming more and more acceptable to not play in the bowl game. I don't think this is anything like Staiger bailing on his team right in the middle of the season.

Besides it is sounding more and more in this thread like he was in the dog house and might have not gotten many snaps anyway.

GeauxUL

Sep 12, 2020
I like most of your post, pretty informative. But you 'beat us soundly' with 2 special teams scores & double digit guys on our team either not practicing or out altogether - it's not silly to say we were still the better team on the year.

And people suggesting academics playing a role probably aren't necessarily taking a shot at Louisiana being a bad school, rather a Big 12 AAU institution having a little higher admittance standards - doesn't seem too far fetched.
First, please provide a link where ST scores no longer count toward wins. I must’ve missed that change in rules.
Also, it’s pretty reasonable to say a W by 10 or less is not a very strong one. But one by 17 points is a pretty solid one.
Finally, it’s every team’s responsibility to have enough depth to compete in every game. Lack of same is not a legit reason to justify a loss.
But hey, it was a great game and hopefully we will get another chance to play soon.

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
First, please provide a link where ST scores no longer count toward wins. I must’ve missed that change in rules.
Also, it’s pretty reasonable to say a W by 10 or less is not a very strong one. But one by 17 points is a pretty solid one.
Finally, it’s every team’s responsibility to have enough depth to compete in every game. Lack of same is not a legit reason to justify a loss.
But hey, it was a great game and hopefully we will get another chance to play soon.

Ha, never said ST scores didn't count - they obviously do in one game, but hardly enough to carry a team throughout a season (if LA had to play more than 1 ranked team in a season, they would surely find that out...)

Second, LA scored a TD with 10 seconds left in the damn game.. if you want to count that as distinction between 17 & 10 that you ambiguously set, go for it...

Third - this was our very first game in a pandemic season - the Big 12 had more stringent Covid protocols than the Sun Belt, so of course we were at a disadvantage in terms of 'fielding enough depth' for a game... we chose to play it anyway - I'm still glad we did.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
Isn’t Geaux a LSU thing? Why is a Rajun Cajun using it? Or is that just part of their academics being low?

Reactions: WesleyE

GeauxUL

Sep 12, 2020
Ha, never said ST scores didn't count - they obviously do in one game, but hardly enough to carry a team throughout a season (if LA had to play more than 1 ranked team in a season, they would surely find that out...)

Second, LA scored a TD with 10 seconds left in the damn game.. if you want to count that as distinction between 17 & 10 that you ambiguously set, go for it...

Third - this was our very first game in a pandemic season - the Big 12 had more stringent Covid protocols than the Sun Belt, so of course we were at a disadvantage in terms of 'fielding enough depth' for a game... we chose to play it anyway - I'm still glad we did.
So to be clear your ‘reasons’ to justify your loss, and also why you are a better team, are as follows:
Too early in season, certain points (ST, time they occurred in game, etc) don’t count, covid, better academics, better conference.
Ok. Got it.

GeauxUL

Sep 12, 2020
Ah. Makes sense, I’ve just noticed LSU players use it a lot and no one else.

Yeah, so that’s just part of the story. Here are the facts on the whole ‘GEAUX’ thing:

1. UL is in Lafayette city/parish, which is the heart and soul of Cajun country....AKA, Acadiana. We have used ‘GEAUX’ and many other Cajun-themed expressions and cheers, etc., for a very long time.

2. Baton Rouge/LSU is only about 75 miles from us, but is a totally different culture....not at all Cajun. Until the late 1970’s they had no part in the French/Cajun culture, and indeed looked down their noses at us.

3. Once Cajun food/culture gained world-wide attention in the 1980’s, suddenly lsu was all in on it and also began using GEAUX, etc.

4. Since they are better known, most people now associate this more with them than us, as they don’t realize what a sham it is really is. But such is the world.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Yeah, so that’s just part of the story. Here are the facts on the whole ‘GEAUX’ thing:

1. UL is in Lafayette city/parish, which is the heart and soul of Cajun country....AKA, Acadiana. We have used ‘GEAUX’ and many other Cajun-themed expressions and cheers, etc., for a very long time.

2. Baton Rouge/LSU is only about 75 miles from us, but is a totally different culture....not at all Cajun. Until the late 1970’s they had no part in the French/Cajun culture, and indeed looked down their noses at us.

3. Once Cajun food/culture gained world-wide attention in the 1980’s, suddenly lsu was all in on it and also began using GEAUX, etc.

4. Since they are better known, most people now associate this more with them than us, as they don’t realize what a sham it is really is. But such is the world.
What was the deal with your longsnapper?

• Funny
Reactions: khardbored

GeauxUL

Sep 12, 2020
What was the deal with your longsnapper?

Oh lord, ‘that’ game, lol? Poor Mr. Boudreaux.

‘I don’t know how many of you have heard of the ‘Thibideaux and Boudreaux’ jokes, but that would be a good place to start.

As for Paul B., he has had a great, stable stint with us, and it’s a real shame that this one game will be how most people will remember him.

How can a really good player have such a game? I dare say no one understands it to this day. I mean one terrible snap? Ok, it happens. But then a 2nd time? Extreme disbelief. A 3rd and 4th time? You’ve entered the Twilight Zone. In all, if I remember correctly we gave them like 114 yards on botched long snaps alone, lol.

But that game really shows what a great team we have. A really tough opponent, who we had never beaten, at their (very intimidating) place, in HORRIBLE weather, many many mishaps, and we still never gave up and pulled out a W. What a night. What a game.

Last edited:

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Oh lord, ‘that’ game, lol? Poor Mr. Boudreaux.

‘I don’t know how many of you have heard of the ‘Thibideaux and Boudreaux’ jokes, but that would be a good place to start.

As for Paul B., he has had a great, stable stint with us, and it’s a real shame that this one game will be how most people will remember him.

How can a really good player have such a game? I dare say no one understands it to this day. I mean one terrible snap? Ok, it happens. But then a 2nd time? Extreme disbelief. A 3rd and 4th time? You’ve entered the Twilight Zone. In all, if I remember correctly we gave them like 114 yards on botched long snaps alone, lol.

But that game really shows what a great team we have. A really tough opponent, who we had never beaten, at their (very intimidating) place, in HORRIBLE weather, many many mishaps, and we still never gave up and pulled out a W. What a night. What a game.
Most of us were rooting for you that night. That was a weird ass game

GeauxUL

Sep 12, 2020
Most of us were rooting for you that night. That was a weird ass game
Thanks. I can assure you that Cajun fans have been pulling for y’all all season as well. Not just from a selfish standpoint. We have a lot of respect for Campbell and the program he is building there.

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
So to be clear your ‘reasons’ to justify your loss, and also why you are a better team, are as follows:
Too early in season, certain points (ST, time they occurred in game, etc) don’t count, covid, better academics, better conference.
Ok. Got it.

I don't think anyone is trying to "justify" the loss (though I can't speak on behalf of other people) -- it was a loss we deserved.... but just saying that a win in a game doesn't always determine the better team.

There are also some factors that make some losses more "fluky" than others.

See: ISU vs. Nebraska 2009.

It's still an awesome victory and super fun for the winning team! You guy can rightfully celebrate that for decades to come, just like we still love our 2009 win over Nebraska.

As long as you maintain at least an ounce of humility, we won't despise you, tho!!!

nrg4isu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 29, 2009
Springfield, Illinois
I'm not sure how many heard the coaches show with Jamie Pollard talking about the UL game. Louisiana had practiced for over a month at that point where ISU had many player who only had 1 or 2 practices prior to that game. Don't forget that only a few weeks before the game it was looking like the season wasn't going to happen.

It's not an excuse, it's an honest explanation. Louisiana was clearly the better team that day. But if you're going to look at the season as a whole I don't think anyone is going to say Louisiana was clearly the better team.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron