Bankston Transferring to the Rajun Cajuns (EDIT: Now Houston)

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

jcisuclones

Nov 23, 2011
Ames, IA
Just a guess with no inside info...if he went to Campbell and said he was planning on transferring after the season, I could totally see CMC telling him to just go and not allowing him to play in the bowl game.
A lot of guys enter the portal before the bowl game to get a head start on the recruitment process.

I do know what happened with Bankston, however, and I will say that he’s not a guy who trusted the Process.

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
I don’t. I’m sure something will come out but the kid probably just felt more at home in H-Town. I’m sure he also feels it’s a better fit.

You can never have enough hogs on the DL...wish the young man the best.

Those are the exact reasons he chose LA - how do you feel more at home/better fit somewhere else a month later than making up your mind? And by all indications, he loved your coaching staff..

Ouch.

Big Buds

Aug 25, 2020
Those are the exact reasons he chose LA - how do you feel more at home/better fit somewhere else a month later than making up your mind? And by all indications, he loved your coaching staff..

Ouch.
Good question. Technically this will be his 3rd school in roughly 30 days. Napier very well may have told him to hit the road for reasons unbeknownst to me. Iowa St. and Louisiana run very similar programs in regards to buying into the culture. The common denominator in all this is obviously Bankston. I still hope he finds whatever he is looking for.

allfourcy

Apr 26, 2012
Any chance Napier is getting hired as the Tennessee coach, so Bankston changed his mind?

Big Buds

Aug 25, 2020
Any chance Napier is getting hired as the Tennessee coach, so Bankston changed his mind?
With all the sanctions Tennessee is going to be under I really doubt he does. I do feel Tennessee is a perfect fit for him but right now just doesn’t seem like the right time to take it. We will soon find out!

I’m more worried about our amazing AD taking the job as the AD at UCF. That right there would be a blow.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
With all the sanctions Tennessee is going to be under I really doubt he does. I do feel Tennessee is a perfect fit for him but right now just doesn’t seem like the right time to take it. We will soon find out!

I’m more worried about our amazing AD taking the job as the AD at UCF. That right there would be a blow.
I hope Napier doesn’t. Been fun to watch you guys in the polls next year again. That said I don’t know what you have coming back for talent.

Reactions: BigCyFan

Big Buds

Aug 25, 2020
I hope Napier doesn’t. Been fun to watch you guys in the polls next year again. That said I don’t know what you have coming back for talent.
We have the core group of Seniors returning except our RB core, which has opted out for the draft. We have done a fantastic job in recruiting and development under Napier so expectations are very high. I expect to push Texas hard week one and if the cards fall again in our favor to make another serious push for the NY6.

• Informative
Reactions: ISC and BigCyFan

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
Tennessee is a dumpster fire right now. Much better jobs will be available next year.

Big Buds

Aug 25, 2020
I was told by my dentist that Bankston was paid by a big time Texas booster to not join the Cajun team as they didnt want to play against him again.
That’s a good one! I’ll pay this man to play at Houston just so we don’t have to face him again!

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
A lot of guys enter the portal before the bowl game to get a head start on the recruitment process.

I do know what happened with Bankston, however, and I will say that he’s not a guy who trusted the Process.

Honestly, the only reason why I'd think that is getting a PS5. Buckle down, play one more game and get a free PS5? Then enter the portal after the game. Obviously, we didn't need him in the bowl, but if I were him, I would have just played and gotten the reward. But if Campbell got wind of it, I could easily see him giving Bankston the boot.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I was told by my dentist that Bankston was paid by a big time Texas booster to not join the Cajun team as they didnt want to play against him again.
My optometrist told me the same thing. Must be true

flycy

Jul 17, 2008
Crescent, IA
Yeah, so that’s just part of the story. Here are the facts on the whole ‘GEAUX’ thing:

1. UL is in Lafayette city/parish, which is the heart and soul of Cajun country....AKA, Acadiana. We have used ‘GEAUX’ and many other Cajun-themed expressions and cheers, etc., for a very long time.

2. Baton Rouge/LSU is only about 75 miles from us, but is a totally different culture....not at all Cajun. Until the late 1970’s they had no part in the French/Cajun culture, and indeed looked down their noses at us.

3. Once Cajun food/culture gained world-wide attention in the 1980’s, suddenly lsu was all in on it and also began using GEAUX, etc.

4. Since they are better known, most people now associate this more with them than us, as they don’t realize what a sham it is really is. But such is the world.

Yeah we're familiar with the sort. We have a program in state that turns its noses at agriculture and farmers, calls Iowa State Moo U, yet puts ANF(America Needs Farmers) on their helmets all for PR only.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
Honestly, the only reason why I'd think that is getting a PS5. Buckle down, play one more game and get a free PS5? Then enter the portal after the game. Obviously, we didn't need him in the bowl, but if I were him, I would have just played and gotten the reward. But if Campbell got wind of it, I could easily see him giving Bankston the boot.

Sometimes the most obvious answer is the right one.

Guys who leave programs before finishing the year do not always do it on their own.

Reactions: Frak

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
Yeah I’m guessing he didn’t enter the portal to get ahead. I also think he’s talented enough a team like Louisiana or Houston would have still taken him a few months from now.

• Winner
Reactions: Die4Cy