Banff, Canada - anyone been there?

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
The fam is heading there in a couple weeks. I've got a few things I know I want to check out while I'm up there, but I'm curious if any CFers have any must-see things to add to my list. We're going to check out the Athabasca Glacier, probably hit Lake Louise and get some short hikes in.

Are there any hiking trails that I should be sure to hit? Any other points of interest that I shouldn't miss? Is the Glacier Skywalk worth the time?

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
I’ve been when I was 12 or so. Just remember the glacier, Lake Louise, and the bears.

cycopath25

Sep 8, 2006
(307)
The fam is heading there in a couple weeks. I've got a few things I know I want to check out while I'm up there, but I'm curious if any CFers have any must-see things to add to my list. We're going to check out the Athabasca Glacier, probably hit Lake Louise and get some short hikes in.

Are there any hiking trails that I should be sure to hit? Any other points of interest that I shouldn't miss? Is the Glacier Skywalk worth the time?

I haven't been, but want to go as I hear they have an amazing golf course.
(Banff Springs Golf Club)
https://banffspringsgolfclub.com/

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
I have traveled a lot and I think the national park there might be even more beautiful than ones I've visited in the USA (Tetons, Yellowstone, Rocky Mountain, Crater Lake, Smoky Mtns). It's just stunning. Unfortunately, I had only a short time so I did a day of hiking (and saw a grizzly along the side of the road). The place is stunning. Leave time for Lake Louise, which is, along with Crater Lake in Oregon, the most most beautiful lake I've seen.

The town is sort of artificial with over-priced food, housing and souvenirs, but it's friendly and has the essentials.

I hope that you can hike tons because I wanted to do more.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
I haven't been, but want to go as I hear they have an amazing golf course.
(Banff Springs Golf Club)
https://banffspringsgolfclub.com/

Maybe I'll buy 6 sleeves of golf balls and just walk around the course, periodically throwing one into the woods or lake. It will simulate my actual round with much less frustration. And I'll get to enjoy the scenery.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
I have traveled a lot and I think the national park there might be even more beautiful than ones I've visited in the USA (Tetons, Yellowstone, Rocky Mountain, Crater Lake, Smoky Mtns). It's just stunning. Unfortunately, I had only a short time so I did a day of hiking (and saw a grizzly along the side of the road). The place is stunning. Leave time for Lake Louise, which is, along with Crater Lake in Oregon, the most most beautiful lake I've seen.

The town is sort of artificial with over-priced food, housing and souvenirs, but it's friendly and has the essentials.

Glad to hear that. I don't plan on spending much time indoors while we're there. I noticed the sun rises before 6am and doesn't set until around 10pm. I should have plenty of daylight

• Friendly
Reactions: brotting

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Been there several times and it's wonderful. Lake Louise has a wonderful hike to a teahouse that is sorta a must do. We also did the gondola ride up the ski area across from there (might be as simple as Lake Louise ski area?) and that provides wonderful views.

Banff will be crowded with the camera-carrying group but still a fun little touristy town. Expect to see LOTS of big animals really closely and within city limits. Big horn sheep, elk - pretty cool!

If you go north you can do Jasper which is basically Banff without the Banff-ness. The glacier tour we took years ago was cool - went out on the buggies.

Make sure you see the old hotel in Banff and they have some great hot springs that might be worth your while as well.

One of our favorite places outside of Glacier NP - hope you have fun!

Tri4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2012
Des Moines
I did Glacier NP, Banff, Jasper, and Yoho last year, late June through early July. Most beautiful country I've seen yet. Best tip I can share...get up EARLY. My buddy and I did one day dealing with tourists. The rest of the days, we'd honestly get up around 4-4:30 and do sunrise hikes. The parks were mostly empty and the light gorgeous. Then as we hike out the literal buses started to roll in.

We stopped for hikes at Lake Moraine, Louise, & Peyto (this was on a whim and one of the best I've seen). Horseshoe lake is pretty cool and another random "hey there is a lake, lets stop and take a break!" stop. The walls of the lake are stupid vertical and popular for cliff diving. It's insane how far you can see. Also Johnson Canyon cave is pretty cool. It get's busy but if you don't mind the crowds you can walk up a few miles through a canyon and eventually find the "hidden" cave under the trail. There you can stand under a waterfall and get some pretty cool shots.

I'll be honest, Glacier was always the top of my hit list and made the mistake of going there last on this trip of mine. I was underwhelmed after spending a week hiking through Canada's parks.

**Side note: I always heard horror stories about bugs but we must have been early enough in the season that they were a non-issue for us. You can check out some of my photos from the trip here https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10104416707814100.1073741846.16901265&type=1&l=de9036adf1 and let me know if you have any other questions. I'll do what I can to help!

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA

Haven't seen either of those, but the most beautiful lake I have ever seen is Coeur D'alene in Idaho:
Lake-CDA-004.jpg

Reactions: I-stateTheTruth

cyclone13

Apr 7, 2009
Was just there 3 weeks ago - didn’t do a lot of hiking since we had couple of senior citizens with us. I did 2 nights Jasper and 6 nights Banff and area (it was difficult to find hotels in jasper that was why we only spent 2 nights).

Moraine lake: go in the early morning or after 6 when parking lotstarts to get empty. Don’t climb the rocks - but go left and see the trail and steps that will take you up to the top of the rocks.

Peyto Lake and Bow Lake in Icefield parkway are a must.

I don’t like heights so didn’t go to the canyon walk but my wife said it wasn’t memorable for her. If you go to Jasper, Maligne lake is wonderful

Last edited:
Reactions: coolerifyoudid

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
Yep been there but it’s been about 13 years or so.. gorgeous place.. food is awesome and park has great trails. Just watch out for Bear and be prepared for it to be sunny when you go to bed..

Rods79

Nov 27, 2006
Des Moines
Went last Fall. Amazing trip. Banff has more of an Aspen feel though, not really rugged like Glacier NP. Be prepared for tourists and loud chugging buses. Probably would opt for Jasper for future trips.

Moraine Lake is way better than Lake Louise, in my opinion, but the tea house hike at Lake Louise is nice. Can’t go wrong driving Icefields Parkway (93) up to Jasper (about 3 - 4 hrs one way). Also, Bow Valley Parkway (1A) was a great drive with lots of wildlife pull offs. Enjoyed hiking Johnson Canyon, but we did more hiking in Jasper.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron