Ballpark cost to put in a basement egress.

cdnlngld

Feb 24, 2012
Ames, IA
I am going to be finishing a room in the basement, and want to install an egress window so it can legally be used as a bedroom. Has anyone recently had an egress installed(in the Ames area)? How much did it set you back? Any recommendations for quality work at a reasonable price?

TIA

Brandon

Feb 6, 2014
I did mine 2 years ago. Set me back about 1500 with me doing all the labor

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
I am going to be finishing a room in the basement, and want to install an egress window so it can legally be used as a bedroom. Has anyone recently had an egress installed(in the Ames area)? How much did it set you back? Any recommendations for quality work at a reasonable price?

TIA

Depends on what type of well you want i.e. metal, landscape stone, concrete etc., and what type of window you want. Is the foundation poured concrete, concrete block or the old style bricks? Do you have a tile system already for the well to drain, do you want to have a dedicated sump for it, or just 12 inches of gravel 6 inches below the window i.e 18 under window ledge. Do you want a cover? If you do, most covers sold at box stores work only with the half moon metal wells. Custom wells will require a custom cover.

Have done few and the average cost for material on a basic is what Brandon just stated. It can be lower with cheaper material and of course go way up with the stuff that makes it look like a sunken deck. It's really up to you.

aforstate

Jan 23, 2010
I did my own a couple years ago. It was probably around $1000-1200 for window, framing material, window well materials, and saw rental.

Depending on window size, material quality, etc as stated above, you’re probably looking a $2000 for the lowest of the low end. Anything lower than that, I would start questioning workmanship/quality unless you get lucky.

Reactions: cdnlngld

cdnlngld

Feb 24, 2012
Ames, IA
Depends on what type of well you want i.e. metal, landscape stone, concrete etc., and what type of window you want. Is the foundation poured concrete, concrete block or the old style bricks? Do you have a tile system already for the well to drain, do you want to have a dedicated sump for it, or just 12 inches of gravel 6 inches below the window i.e 18 under window ledge. Do you want a cover? If you do, most covers sold at box stores work only with the half moon metal wells. Custom wells will require a custom cover.

Have done few and the average cost for material on a basic is what Brandon just stated. It can be lower with cheaper material and of course go way up with the stuff that makes it look like a sunken deck. It's really up to you.

Our home is a new construction(2017). I would be looking at something comparable to our other basement rooms(glass slider) probably something like 36". In a poured wall. Just a simple metal halfmoon type wall.