Vaccine reactions

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BanjoCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2012
Had 2nd pfizer Thursday, woke up with chills Friday, and felt a bit woozy. Went to work til lunch, then came home as the fever/headache/body ache were in full force. Worst fever I've had in years... took my temp and was pushing 104 so got a little worried and had to take a cool shower to try and get that under control.

Initial fever lasted from about mid-morning friday to 8am Saturday. Felt fine for about half the day, then chills & headache came back around dinner time & lasted until I fell asleep.

I've also had really high resting heart rates, especially with the fever on Friday afternoon.

• Informative
Reactions: aauummm

burn587

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Denver, CO
I had my second moderna at 11 am yesterday. I took 12 hrs to start feeling fairly fatigued. Then by the morning I was very sore in my joints and muscles. By about 24 hrs I was just down to muscle pain. I’m happy to have had a mild reaction, but am still wary of what could be coming since I didn’t have any issues with the 1st dose until a week out.

• Informative

MuskieCy

Nov 4, 2006
Funny how the side effects were all undersold in the reports coming out of the trials.
I was crunched both times with Shingrix. Pfizer Covid 19, a little fuzzy 4 hours after the first, less then 0 anything after the second.

Science!!!!

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
Mrs and I are currently 48 hours post Pfizer #2... She was tired Saturday and fine today with a little arm soreness. I have felt 100% the entire time. No arm soreness either. I read if you do push-ups after the shot your arm won't hurt. Worked great. We are 29, in decent shape with no prior history of vaccine issues. We get flu shots every year and never have issues

• Informative

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
Since my significant other is a female in the age group that seems to be effected by the blood clots I have been monitoring. Someone check my math/ make sure I am understanding this correctly.

Chance of blood clot for that age group (between 18 and 50) and a woman: 6/1,500,000 = 0.0004% chance of getting a blood clot

Source: https://www.wsj.com/articles/fauci-...iday-perhaps-with-limits-warnings-11618763497

Chances of dying from Covid in that age group is ~0.008% - 0.08% (just a guess based off my eyeballing this chart (and using some awesome drawing skills):

1618836416282.png
Chart is from:

The data from the chart is from November which is before we hit a big spike so that IFR could be different. That is also comparing dying to getting a blood clot (I believe only 1 person has died from the clotting). Seems like (at the low end) there is still a 20x chance of dying from COVID than there is from getting a blood clot by receiving J&J vaccine.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Since my significant other is a female in the age group that seems to be effected by the blood clots I have been monitoring. Someone check my math/ make sure I am understanding this correctly.

Chance of blood clot for that age group (between 18 and 50) and a woman: 6/1,500,000 = 0.0004% chance of getting a blood clot

Source: https://www.wsj.com/articles/fauci-...iday-perhaps-with-limits-warnings-11618763497

Chances of dying from Covid in that age group is ~0.008% - 0.08% (just a guess based off my eyeballing this chart (and using some awesome drawing skills):

View attachment 84291
Chart is from:

The data from the chart is from November which is before we hit a big spike so that IFR could be different. That is also comparing dying to getting a blood clot (I believe only 1 person has died from the clotting). Seems like (at the low end) there is still a 20x chance of dying from COVID than there is from getting a blood clot by receiving J&J vaccine.

I think the clot % is different some how but yeah it's way less than chances of getting or dying of Covid.

Hopefully they just put a warning on it like they do with all sorts of other things that have greater chance of poor outcomes.

Reactions: CloniesForLife

Tri4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2012
Des Moines
Updates from my household. The lady and I both got our second shots last week. She, like the first shot, had a minor headache for a day or two. I on the other hand, got my ass kicked. I've only had the flu once or twice in my life so this was a relatively new experience for me. The day of, I felt fine with similar symptoms of the first shot, a minor headache. Woke up the next day though and I felt like I got hit by a train. No a better description would be I got hit by the train and thrown forward, then the train derailed and slid over my body for some distance. In full disclosure I am a man so this was likely just a normal "flu" reaction but as someone who rarely gets this sick it was all pretty new to me. Migraine, it felt like my bones hurt, my skin hurt due to the chills/goose bumps, and nausea.

The good news; mentally I was prepared. Different from actually getting a cold, I knew exactly what this was. There was no question about it. Pop a couple tylenol and pepto and I was good for a couple of hours and was semi-functional. Once the meds wore off the symptoms would return pretty quick but then just hit them with another dose. The BEST part was it was a one day event. I was a bit dehydrated on Sunday but fully functional and would never have guessed I felt so poorly the day before. Crazy stuff man!

• Informative
Reactions: aauummm and Acylum

Tri4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2012
Des Moines
No they weren’t. I think people just didn’t understand that vaccines come with side effects. In general people have been babies about this.

Agreed. I posted before reading your comment and I think reading about the side effects over and over again had me well prepared for what to potentially expect.

VTXCyRyD

Sep 2, 2010
2nd Pfizer on Friday and no real reaction except a sorry arm and maybe a little more tired. Although, I was up at 4:00am the next day so that is probably why I was tired.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Funny how the side effects were all undersold in the reports coming out of the trials.

This is 100% untrue. My SIL is a doctor who was one of the first to get the vaccine after the trials. Doctors were specifically instructed at that time to not do everyone in a department at once and to schedule the shot before a day off, especially the second shot, because the side effects were well known from the trials.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Pfizer 1 yesterday afternoon. Mild arm soreness, like a bruise, nbd. Woke up with a splitting headache, but seems to come and go a bit and generally receding. GF is about the same, just the minor sore arm.

Sounds like #2 is the one that can kick off flu-like symptoms so guess we will see what that is like for us in a month...

• Informative

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010

View attachment 84291
Chart is from:

The issue is not the occurrence of any distribution of blood clots in the general population, but the specific type of blood clot in these cases, which is exceedingly rare and difficult to diagnose.

The J&J vaccine is a very important tool. They intended to roll it out on college campuses across the country because it eliminated the need to come back to the same place a month later to get the booster. If there is an elevated risk for those using hormonal birth control, the vaccine strategy almost completely overlaps the groups most likely to be using them. So it really does demand careful investigation.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
The issue is not the occurrence of any distribution of blood clots in the general population, but the specific type of blood clot in these cases, which is exceedingly rare and difficult to diagnose.

The J&J vaccine is a very important tool. They intended to roll it out on college campuses across the country because it eliminated the need to come back to the same place a month later to get the booster. If there is an elevated risk for those using hormonal birth control, the vaccine strategy almost completely overlaps the groups most likely to be using them. So it really does demand careful investigation.
I am obviously not an expert and I wasn't saying they shouldn't investigate the clots as they are obviously very serious. I was just trying to understand the risk between the two. I am certainly glad that the health experts are doing their due diligence.

Status
Not open for further replies.